Search similar:

uniqs

herb77
join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL

1 recommendation

herb77

Outrage ?

Where's the netflix like outrage? I guess it's better to pay $80 for cable a month than $16 for netflix.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

2 recommendations

jseymour

said by herb77:

Where's the netflix like outrage? I guess it's better to pay $80 for cable a month than $16 for netflix.

Y'know, I was thinking much the same thing during all that brouhaha over Netflix' price increases and stuff. Here's people all freaking out that the world was coming to an end over a measly $8 or $10, yet they'll calmly pay $200/mo. wireless bills, just so they can web browse and keep up with FB on their smart phones, and better than $100/mo. for subscription TV.

I don't get it.

Jim

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to herb77

Premium Member

to herb77
said by herb77:

For the same service with Netflix that customers were paying $9.99/mo, the subscription increased 60% to $15.98. I'm sure that if customers' Comcast bills jumped from $100 to $160, there would be a similar outrage. I'm happy to pay $80 for cable TV, as I see the justification in the value. I don't think Netflix was worth $9.99 a month, even before the recent price increase. That's why there was so much hootin' and hollerin' with Netflix.

The biggest issue with these price hikes is that they only happen in regions where there is no FiOS or AT&T competition other than DSL.

herb77
Fort Myers, FL

herb77

Oh please, cable has been increasing their rates each year for that last ten years or more. You're being Nickled and Dimed and you don't even know it.
herb77

herb77 to jseymour

to jseymour
I'm with you on that. I cancelled cable last year and I don't even miss it. No one needs cable tv.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Class: Today's lesson will be: "Perspective: Why it's important."
said by jmn1207:

For the same service with Netflix that customers were paying $9.99/mo, the subscription increased 60% to $15.98.

Class: Those of you who are paying attention will quickly note this is a difference of $5.99/mo.

Most working people probably spend at least that on lunch every working day.
said by jmn1207:

I'm happy to pay $80 for cable TV, ...

Class: How many $6 lunches can you buy with $80?

Jim

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to herb77

to herb77
I haven't watch a single minute of broadcast or cable TV since about 2008 (except for the night I spent at a hotel in '10). I don't get the feeling I'm missing much- and if there's anything really good, I'm sure to be linked to Hulu or YouTube by friends.
JMccovery
join:2011-01-08
Graysville, AL

JMccovery to jmn1207

to jmn1207
I don't see how anyone can sanely 'justify' paying $80/mo for what amounts to 50-66% commercials. Sure advertisers pay for their ads, which in turn defer some of the costs of producing TV content, but understand, you are paying for the privilege to watch commercials...

In my household Comcast is a necessary evil (internet), because At&t DSL sucks, and costs about the same for slower service... But we dropped tv service, because we were tired of paying for crap.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

I skip any commercials unless I'm watching a live sporting event with company. Most of my viewing is premium channels, on demand, or recorded on a DVR.

All I meant was that the value, to me, of my FiOS TV package is a better value than my Netflix subscription was before I dropped the DVD part.

It was the rate of increase as a percentage of the original that caused the commotion with Netflix. If a $.50 cent can of soda jumps to $5.00 tomorrow, sure it's on $4.50, the price of a coffee at Starbucks, but it is an enormous increase when compared to the value of the product.

Relatively speaking, I'm more satisfied with my cable bill than I currently am with my Netflix bill.

herb77
Fort Myers, FL

herb77

Nothing on tv is worth paying 80$ a month. Expect to pay more.