Search similar:

uniqs
carmine
join:2002-09-30
Waterbury, CT

carmine

TCM movies On Demand

Perhaps I do not understand how this is supposed to work, but here goes:

I have the Digital Preferred package and can watch TCM (Turner Classic Movies) in both SD on channel 54 and HD on channel 1815.

When I go to OnDemand -> Free Movies! -> TCM -> Movies, any movie I select is marked "Free with Subscription" but in order to watch it I first have to "Buy" the movie.

This happens only with TCM. Other channels such as OnDemand -> Free Movies! -> TBS and TNT also say Free with Subscription but do not require the Buy step before being able to watch a movie.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I have seen alot of posts about similar issues here and elsewhere lately. I wonder if Comcast updated something and not all accounts are auto-authorizing.

Comcast is moving to a semi-distributed system where popular movies are kept in a local server, but many others are on just a few master servers around the country. It could be issues with different coding between areas confusing some of the servers?
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden to carmine

to carmine
What did Comcast say when you called?
carmine
join:2002-09-30
Waterbury, CT

carmine

said by RalphKramden:

What did Comcast say when you called?

I haven't done so yet. I am new to Comcast and was not entirely certain that this was not normal... perhaps there was a separate TCM subscription service that I wasn't aware of, for example.

Guess I will call on Friday.

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

Floppy to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

Comcast is moving to a semi-distributed system where popular movies are kept in a local server, but many others are on just a few master servers around the country.

All content for VOD is stored on local servers.

As for the original poster: Anything under free movies is just that free or else why would it be there. The VOD menu settings are incorrect for the TCM category and needs to be changed.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by Floppy:

said by andyross:

Comcast is moving to a semi-distributed system where popular movies are kept in a local server, but many others are on just a few master servers around the country.

All content for VOD is stored on local servers.

Not true anymore, at least for more and more areas. The split storage is part of the recent updates going around that has greatly expanded the amount of VOD available. I can't find it now, but there was a link about how it worked. As mentioned, popular movies and titles are stored locally. Other items are stored on 3 or 4 servers around the country and are pulled as needed.
rscalzo
join:2006-07-07
Epping, NH

rscalzo to carmine

to carmine
You will not be charged. It simply means it's free when you subscribe to that channel on your package.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

i think the issue is that he does describe to it but it still says that message which raises concern. for example i subscribe to HBO and Showtime (and others) but if i go to HBO on demand and it says that message, but I go to Showtime on demand and it doesn't, I'd be concerned of being charged.

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8

said by Mike Wolf:

i think the issue is that he does describe to it but it still says that message which raises concern. for example i subscribe to HBO and Showtime (and others) but if i go to HBO on demand and it says that message, but I go to Showtime on demand and it doesn't, I'd be concerned of being charged.

And, rightfully so. I ran into a similar situation and was charged additionally even though the digital package I have included the VOD selection I wanted to watch.

carmine See Profile, best advice I have is to call in and have the issue looked into.