spc
uniqs
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to halfband

to halfband

Re: DCX3400 box for sale on craigslist

But it could've been different if the FCC had gotten off their ass about AllVid, because then all MVPDs would've been required to provide open, IP-based access instead of this card crap. Not to mention losing the STB lock-in that they all love.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by GTFan:

But it could've been different if the FCC had gotten off their ass about AllVid, because then all MVPDs would've been required to provide open, IP-based access instead of this card crap. Not to mention losing the STB lock-in that they all love.

The AllVid proposal was floated by the FCC last year, it's not even any sort of standard a company can build a product to fit. The FCC ordered CableCARD 13 years ago and the first user obtainable device saw light of day 7 years ago. Don't expect AllVid to actually be a usable device for a few more years.

Companies and consumers love spending billions of dollars on the direction of the FCC's whim...

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to GTFan

Premium Member

to GTFan
said by GTFan:

Evan if Comcast went to Allvid Comcast still would not provision a Motorola or sa box because it belong to them.
You can not go ip based because there still a lot of people that do not need or want a computer or internet service. It will have to be able to us without the internet.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

I don't really give a damn about the uninformed masses, I want AllVid so I can run my own setup and easily switch to any provider without using their crappy boxes. I'm sure tons of folks want the MVPDs to take care of them just like Ma Bell used to do, and AllVid ain't for them.