All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to TilhasBB

to TilhasBB

Re: How to put Sagemcom 2864 in bridge mode?

The steps linked in the other thread work for some people.

Having said that, I dont think it's necessary to reset the Sagemcom. I've setup third party routers behind Sagemcoms for customers, so long as the third party router is set to do it's OWN pppoe session. The cpe router seems to get a public IP no problem in most cases from what I've experienced.
kiwibri
join:2011-10-26
Canada

kiwibri

is this necessary if I want to use a Apple Time Capsule with the Bell Modem?

spiffhiggins
@bell.ca

spiffhiggins to urbang33k

Anon

to urbang33k
I have a Sagemcom modem with my Fibe 25 and yes, when I reset the modem to factory defaults and configured the PPPoE ony my router it works HOWEVER I only get half the speed. Whereas the Sagemcom will do 25 down / 7 up natively, with my router behind it I only get 14 down / 4 up. I don't think it's a true bridge mode. I'm looking for an older Cellpipe modem to compare.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1

MVM

I have a cellpipe for my FibeTV/Internet and yes I am able to bridge through it and maintain full speed. How much is the rental cost on the Sagemcom? I understand they raised the rental price...
Snarf Bailey
join:2011-08-20
York, ON

Snarf Bailey to spiffhiggins

to spiffhiggins
said by spiffhiggins :

I have a Sagemcom modem with my Fibe 25 and yes, when I reset the modem to factory defaults and configured the PPPoE ony my router it works HOWEVER I only get half the speed. Whereas the Sagemcom will do 25 down / 7 up natively, with my router behind it I only get 14 down / 4 up. I don't think it's a true bridge mode. I'm looking for an older Cellpipe modem to compare.

You would be right, it's not true bridge Mode. It's just a Kludge to get your router to establish the PPPOE handshake. The Sagemcom Gateway has the advanced settings that would allow you to actually bridge it locked away via password and you can't get that password. ALL BELL GATEWAYS have the bridge mode locked behind a password. Believe me, I have tried every possible avenue to get the passwords and no one will cough them up.

According to Bell they lock the advanced settings away because if they don't people will futz with it and it generates too many support calls. That's what I was told by them anyway.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Glen1

to Glen1
said by Glen1:

How much is the rental cost on the Sagemcom? I understand they raised the rental price...

From what I see (at least on the QC pages), the monthly rental fees got replaced by a "$100 one-time rental fee" which is effectively the same as saying they raised the install/activation fee by $100 and buried the balance of rental fees in the base rates.

Whether or not this is a net increase on modem rental depends on how long you rent it for... certainly an increase under 1 year, might break even in the 2nd year, should be cheaper in the 3rd year with the unlikely assumption that Bell won't turn the tables in the meantime.
corrpa01
join:2011-12-24
Scarborough, ON

corrpa01

Bell Canada chat advised the following to put the Sagemcom f@st 2864 into bridge mode:

"Please hard reset the modem 2 to 3 times and it will change to Bridge mode."

I have not tried it yet. If anyone else tries the above and it works, please let me know. I was about to buy a cisco/linksys router but don't want to blow the money if this bridge mode advice doesn't work.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1

MVM

Sounds like a good way to get you off the phone but it doesn't make sense that it would magically change to bridge mode after rebooting it 2 or 3 times...

corrpa01gest
@bell.ca

corrpa01gest

Anon

Well, it actually seems to have worked! I successfully bridge my Linksys E3200 with my Sagemcom f@st 2864 and did not suffer any reduction in speed (wired). Wireless varies.

newBell
@bell.ca

newBell

Anon

How is your router connected to the modem? Modem WAN to router WAN, or modem LAN to router WAN?

teletone
join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

teletone

said by newBell :

How is your router connected to the modem? Modem WAN to router WAN, or modem LAN to router WAN?

modem LAN to router WAN. modem WAN is to connect to a fibre optic device via ethernet cable.
Johnsonrod
join:2012-01-07

Johnsonrod

Hey guys , I'm ok with pppoe coming from Sage 2864 but my question is if I set up an untangle box with modem pppoe do I need to follow the same steps ?

I'm worried i'll create a double nat, or somehow degrade my lan.

Should I just get untangle to handle PPPOE or is it really all the same as far as network traffic speeds?

I'd rather not give bell access to my LAN , I hate the idea that bell can at anytime see my devices etc while using theire modem as dhcp server. Can I just disable dhcp ? Is that a way to keep PPOE on the modem but have my router handle all devices etc ?
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

You can PPPoE through the Sagemcom from your router without issue, without putting it into an official bridge mode (if there even is one). You won't have double NAT, your router will receive an IP from Bell, and I haven't seen any issues with getting "half" the rated speed.

If you later look at the Sagemcom's logs, there's entries such as "Passthrough session opened" whenever an external PPPoE connection is made.

With that said, the Sagemcom still insists on making its own PPPoE session at the same time, even if you blank out the connection details - because it then auto-fills with functional defaults. They need to add a way to properly disable PPPoE on this thing... or they're going to run out of IPs assigning two to anyone with a "real" router!
Johnsonrod
join:2012-01-07

Johnsonrod

I agree , it's just assumed that the average customer wants all in one set up i.e. wifi , and router.

There isn't any focus on us consumers that realize for one how unsafe it is to trust really god knows whomever is behind that remotely accessible router .

There should be an updated firmware that will essentially allow complete bridge mode, passing along the public IP leaving the Sagemcom in "dummy mode".

In my case PPOE establishing on Untangle isn't recommended as certain apps will not function properly. It's recommended to get the public IP from the ISP modem. Go figure.