Search similar:

uniqs

FF4me
@rr.com

FF4me

Anon

Intel's HDCP Copy Protection Cracked

Researchers conduct successful MITM attack on HDCP copy protection:

Researchers at the Secure Hardware Group at Germany's Ruhr University of Bochum, led by professor Tim Güneysu, have used a man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack to crack the copy protection system used by HDMI ports with relatively little effort. HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) was developed by Intel and is used to carry out the encrypted transfer of video signals via DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and other connectors.

"The fact that we were able to achieve this in the context of a PhD thesis and using materials costing just €200 is not a ringing endorsement of the security of the current HDCP system," noted Güneysu.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I do not think HDCP was ever meant to be required and is actually meant to cause issues for the consumer.

and of course its JES for the MPAA(Just Enough Security), where by in their minds it thwarts their worst enemy, not the actual pirate selling bootleg DVDs on a corner or the person using the Pirate Bay but it makes sure the typical TV watcher's video ports are not totally user controlled any more.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

1 edit

Jan Janowski to FF4me

Premium Member

to FF4me
I am not sad...

Personally, I've had nothing but grief with HDMI Copy Protection.

I'm not trying to steal the video, just trying to view it!

The fact that CP burps on differing versions of hardware is maddening!!!

Why they made something that automatically makes decisions, but makes them INCORRECTLY, is the main concern!

I've been at Television Productions where Copy Protection reared it's ugly head, that prevented Owner's of the Content from seeing it on equipment that was stuck in Copy Protection Mode!

You can imagine how those conversations went!!!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Copy protection was never ever designed to keep you from "stealing" video, it is designed to make the general public mad at pirates because the industry states DRM is needed to stop piracy.

HDCP is why my TV takes time to show video I know that, I see the code on the display of my cable STB that its doing the handshake. if there where no need to have HDCP the TV would likely get video instantly.

TF2_Dude
@comcast.net

TF2_Dude to Jan Janowski

Anon

to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

I am not sad...

Personally, I've had nothing but grief with HDMI Copy Protection.

I'm not trying to steal the video, just trying to view it!

(Sarcasm Intended)

All the while you are going through that, others like myself have already seen that video 3 to 4 times over after pirating it. You legit customers, well, your still going to have to wait it out.

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345 to Jan Janowski

Anon

to Jan Janowski
Huh, I have zero problems with my HDMI/HDCP. They all work as it should for 5 years I have them on both of my TVs, my computers, etc. Zero issue.

TF2_Dude: Go ahead and keep watching those crappy quality blurry torrents.