spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BBro
@rr.com

BBro

Anon

Subnet Security

I'm new to all of this, and I know enough to get me into trouble. I'm trying to keep people off of my internet (wireless router from cable modem). The password isn't holding anyone back. I want to limit the mask for my network so the only computer that can access my router is mine. I know the numbers for the subnetting, I just don't know how to get at it on this system. I've had no luck getting onto the abmit site so I can make changes. any suggestions? By the way, I'm working with a mac...
thanks for any and all help
BBro

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Let's get you moved over to our Wireless Networking forum for some help with this.

Good luck.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to BBro

MVM

to BBro
said by BBro :

I'm new to all of this, and I know enough to get me into trouble. I'm trying to keep people off of my internet (wireless router from cable modem). The password isn't holding anyone back. I want to limit the mask for my network so the only computer that can access my router is mine

What is the make and model number of your wireless router

In addition to the wifi password you should also be able to
not broadcast the wireless router's ssid
use a mac filter
Use a stronger password

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt to BBro

MVM

to BBro
That is not going to be effective since anyone who wants can simply use a static IP address.

Can you explain your problem in more detail? WPA2 is extremely secure. Should have no problem limiting access to your computer.

/tom

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt to BBro

to BBro
said by BBro :

The password isn't holding anyone back.

For that to be true, you would have to have your wireless security options configured wrong. What security settings are you running on it?

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to BBro

MVM

to BBro
As noted by the others if you have your wireless network security setup correctly there is no way unauthorized users will be able to access the network. FWIW here are my suggestions for home users that you may find of some interest...

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· ity.html

Personally I use WPA2-PSK [AES] (aka WPA2-Personal) with a 63-character random ASCII key to protect my two wireless networks at home.

If your using a short encryption key/password/passphrase that is susceptable to dictionary type attacks then all bets are off...