how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

faster5

join:2011-11-26
Elmhurst, IL

My CD forSpeedstream 5200 (e240) modem lacks file SSInst.inf

There could be other missing files, too; this one is vital to installing the modem. I can't even upgrade the "firmware" (software?) if I can't get it installed first!

This may not be the optimal place for this, but please bear with me.

I don't know where to turn for help. I'm in Mexico and have had broadband DSL from Prodigy Infinitum through Tango Manager for several years. They provided me with a Speedstream 5200 (E240) modem and the CD Rom to install all of it. It's Ethernet, not USB.

It worked, but never well. The Speedstream modem, when I check into it online, is sometimes called a router, which only confuses me more. The main problem with it is that I don't have all of the install files for it. The CD I was given from Telmex (the phone company) doesn't have a file called SSInst.inf, which is required to install the Speedstream modem.

The result is that it connects, but off and on. It won't synchronize, no matter what I do. I've gone to various sites and followed ALL the instructions, which were often conflicting. One says never to plug it into a filter, yet I was provided with one and it has a dual jack with an opening specifically labeled DSL. One other said to use a filter. I've done it both ways - no improvement. I've tried every single suggestion I was able to find. No cigar.

It used to work better than it does now. Now the modem can't find itself, or the connection can't be "proven," so it switches on and off several times a minute like a traffic light. Sometimes it can't even detect the modem. I suspect that I have been hacked, but I can't get away from that, even by formatting C; I just have to live with it until I can afford to upgrade my OS from 98SE. My entire connection to the internet is turned off periodically, which I think was caused by the hacker. Connections shouldn't just disconnect spontaneously.

The first problem I need to tackle is to obtain the full installer files for this modem. I have trouble downloading, because the modem keeps going on and off. Sites time out, downloads either fail, arrive with only a few kilobytes yet call it a done deal, and other times they arrive corrupted. Downloading even small files is agonizing and can take days of struggle.

But I need to obtain those files, and don't know where I can find them, much less try to download them. If I must struggle, so be it. But I have to FIND the download first. Efficient, the company that installs much of my internet access, no longer seems to exist.

Can someone help me obtain the files I need?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by faster5:

They provided me with a Speedstream 5200 (E240) modem and the CD Rom to install all of it. It's Ethernet, not USB

The speedstream needs no installation files...the computer you connect to the speedstream needs a working ethernet network adapter
said by faster5:

I'm in Mexico and have had broadband DSL from Prodigy Infinitum through Tango Manager for several years

Tango manager is the efficient pppoe client, you can use any pppoe client you want to

faster5

Elmhurst, IL

I beg to differ about not needing install files for the Speedstream.

My TangoManager (Prodigy Infinitum) CD came with a whole FOLDER full of files for the Speedstream modem. The company, Efficient, doesn't seem to exist any more. There's an app I can use to tell how well my Speedstream is working. When I launch it, it has no info, because IT can't even detect the modem, even while it is functioning.

There is a driver .exe, called Efficient5200_4.2.2.122.exe, but I can't find where to download it.

By digging around for several days, I found a file on my CD that registers the modem. It is now in my startup folder for my PC - for what good that's worth. There ARE files needed. When I use the setup file on my CD for the modem, it promptly tells me that this SSInst.inf file can't be found.

The modem functions, but goes off and on all the time. It won't synchronize, no matter what I do, and I've dug around a LOT to learn if it's something I'm doing wrong.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

What is the complete part number of your speedstream modem

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
reply to faster5

I just read the User Guide for that modem. No where is there any mention of the need to have a CD to install the modem it is all done from the modem interface.

»www2.windstream.net/downloads/li···m211.pdf

However here is the driver you ask for.

»members.driverguide.com/driver/d···d=128940
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

faster5

Elmhurst, IL
reply to wayjac

I found the driverguide.com source, too. They want money for a file I've already paid for. Besides, I never buy ANYTHING online. Maybe the modem doesn't need a CD to install it, but it DOES need certain files. A bunch of them.

This is the info for the request for the part number. I thought I'd posted it, but maybe it didn't go through. No big surprise, considering.

So here is what I wrote:

The version of the firmware is 004-E240-A0X-61-7 My Telmex/Prodigy/Tango Manager interface lets me get that info, but won't do a firmware upgrade. Understandable, of course, since it has never been truly installed, even though it functions (if you want to call it that).

Remember, too, that I'm in Mexico. So all my interfaces and help files are in Spanish. I can bumble through some of them, but I'm not truly fluent. BTW, lotsa nice folks here.

Nothing will make it syncrhonize, and I've tried and tried. This is why it keeps blinking on and off, I suppose. But what is preventing synchronization? And installing it, for that matter? Why didn't my CD give me all the files I'd need?

The back of the modem has part of the part number rubbed off from use
It says
Efficient Networks
Speedstream 5200
Ethernet/USB ASDL Modem (mind is ethernet)
Part Number 60-E240-012 OR 80-E240-012 - that first number isn't clear, and there is something before it that got rubbed off.

Efficient Networks seems to have gone out of business.

It takes YOU a few seconds to load a page. For me, it's a struggle. I have to wait till the modem says "conectado," while my internet connection is still hanging in there. Then I get a few seconds of connectivity.

Thanks for helping.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by faster5:

Maybe the modem doesn't need a CD to install it, but it DOES need certain file

All that's needed to use the modem is a working ethernet adapter on the computer
If you want to use the 5200 usb port that will need a usb driver installed on the computer

The "efficient5200_4.2.2.122.exe" file is a program that will update the modems software/firmware to version 4.2.2.122

It's likely that you have problems with the dsl signal, the modems gui and lights may indicate what the problem is

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to faster5

You don't need any driver or install anything at all for any networking device as long as it is attached through a working Ethernet adapter as has been pointed out. To configure your modem/router just go to the web-based configuration page using your browser. No special programs are needed for that. The only exception is that PPPoE thing which I am not familiar with other than it is what sort of logs you in and out of your connection. I previously had DSL but was PPPoA and later cable Internet which as far as the computer was concerned worked identical.

Some DSL modems with router capabilities can handle the PPPoE part themselves. I had a 2Wire modem when I had DSL which had this capability. Never used it since my service was PPPoA as mentioned.

Are your instructions available online? I am a native Spanish speaker if you are having trouble with the language.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to faster5

Hunting through the manual posted by tobicat See Profile you can set the modem to work with its own PPPoE client. If you can use that then you can do away entirely with any software in your computer to be able to connect to the Internet.