how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TurtleFan

join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

ATT ETF fee?

Can anyone tell me what the current ATT Fee is?

I cancelled my service at the last billing month by porting my number over to Verizon. I have not used the service for this full month billing cycle, and paid my last bill on time when I DID use it.

Now I get a message staying: 'Note: Your AT&T service has been cancelled due to non-payment. You have an outstanding balance of $289.83'

WTH? I thought the ETF was somewhere around $120? Why am I getting billed for $300?

-edit boy, what kind of scam is this? Apparently if you fall into the 'advanced' category, you have to pay double that of people with 'normal' phones. Was it always like this, and is there anyway to cut the bill in half?

sdfox7
Premium
join:2011-05-07
Bethel, CT

2 edits

Here is AT&T's ETF policy: »www.wireless.att.com/learn/artic···fees.jsp

said by TurtleFan:

-edit boy, what kind of scam is this? Apparently if you fall into the 'advanced' category, you have to pay double that of people with 'normal' phones. Was it always like this, and is there anyway to cut the bill in half?

Yes, the advanced phones have a higher termination fee because they have a higher value than feature phones. You can't expect to get a $700 phone for $99-$200 and then be able to walk away from the contract leaving the carrier out $500-$600. The phone is subsidized by the carrier allowing people to purchase a phone that they ordinarily may not have the money for. A portion of your bill goes toward the phone's cost and as you pay for the phone during the contract the carrier reduces your liability.

We can't determine what your 'correct' balance should be because 1) we don't know your phone type (ETF's start at $325 for smartphones and $150 for featurephones), and 2) we don't know how long you were in contract (ETF decreases as your contract matures).
--
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/53
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.5.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.24) Gecko/20111103