spc
Search similar:

uniqs

sph130
@metrocast.net

sph130

Anon

Upgraded Speed to 18mbs.. now just inching above 10mbs

I had 10mbs service getting 6mbs usually.. just upgraded to 18mbs and I'm only gett now 11mbs - feel like I should only be paying for the 10mbs at this speed. What gives?

Speed Test #99761635 by dslreports.com
Run: 2011-11-28 17:44:17 EST
Download: 11042 (Kbps)
Upload: 1851 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 1348 down 226 up
Tested by server: 60 java
User: 2 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: metrocast.net
sph130

sph130

Anon

Turned out to be an older modem. Funny thing is I new this - and I asked the tech support chat guy when I was thinking about getting the upgrade if I needed a new modem. He said no. Then I asked again when I called up to upgrade and the woman said no. I then spent last night running tests and chatted with tech support again and they moved my ticket to support tier 2 and they came back minutes later that I needed to upgrade my modem. My modem now is model SB5100 my older model was SB4200 (or SB4100 i don't exactly remember)

Hope this helps someone else..

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to sph130

to sph130
Ya as soon as I started reading your post I was thinking old modem.

sph130
@metrocast.net

sph130

Anon

Well i have the new modem. I got some good speeds maybe 10% of the times I test I get 17mb/s.. but most of the time i max out at 12mbs. How can they take your money for the 18mbs and then just occasionally give it to you, most of the time getting just barely over the middle tier 10mbs.

I think they should be law have to prorate your bill based on the speeds you actually get. Maybe it will make them want to ensure that those paying the premium get the actual speed they are paying for. I'm giving it until the speed increase in nh and if nothing changes its not worth paying for the higher speed.
quantumred
join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

quantumred to sph130

to sph130
It does seem they have weak areas. I remember years ago, my area was terrible in prime time (evenings). Now it's pretty consistent. This was taken a little after 8pm.

N3CAL
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Lexington Park, MD

N3CAL

Premium Member

I've had the 18/2 service for about a year now and untill recently it's been pretty good. The last two weeks there has been problems. I've noticed drops in download speeds.