uniqs

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

[CATV] Plus Package HD Channels & CableCARD

The employees at Ceton have taken an interest in their customers not receiving the Plus Package channels and are willing to step in and contact Cox.
»experts.windows.com/frms ··· 202.aspx

If only TiVo would do the same. TiVo just told me to file an FCC Complaint and there was nothing else they could do.

It appears Cox San Diego and other CA markets will be able to receive the Plus Package channels on capable 1GHz CableCARD tuners by December 1st. (assuming they also subscribe to the associated SD channel package)
»www.sandiegohdtv.org/for ··· ablecard

Hopefully this will roll out nationwide soon.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

the Trio extra channels should be available to every one cisco/motorola cablecard as long as they have 1Ghz turners. I'll be furious if they don't allow them on Motorola 1Ghz hardware
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

tim92078 to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
I'll file an FCC complaint, I need to file one anyway about the "just because we can" copy protection getting in the way.
pcostanza
join:2002-05-05
Metairie, LA

pcostanza

I just noticed 2 nights ago the additional HBO HD channels on my Ceton box and just get a black screen. However, I don't even get those channels with my DVR and got a letter stating there were going to be changes in the New Orleans market in mid December so I'm just waiting to see what happens.
Is it possible that I should be receiving some channels via cablecard that I would not also get on my DVR? Or is it just that what I'm seeing with the cablecard tv guide is prep for some change in the next few weeks?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Louisiana, Florida, Arizona and Idaho have not officially launched the Plus Package channels, so if they are showing in the guide on your Ceton or TiVo it is just testing and preparation for a launch in the near future.

It does not appear Kansas/Arkansas and Cleveland have launched Plus Package channels either, even though those markets have launched the Trio Whole Home DVR.

All other markets have launched both Plus Package and Trio Whole Home DVR. Although Las Vegas has not posted any additional Premiums in their Plus Package, just DIYHD, HUBHD, OutdoorHD, CookingHD and SWRVHD.

If anyone has news to the contrary please post.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
They want that $5/mo extra!
pcostanza
Metairie, LA

pcostanza

I called last night saying I am getting NatGeoWild and CookHD and 1 or 2 other 'new' channels but although all the HBO channels show in the guide (using Ceton) I still only get HBO and HBO2 and nothing but a black screen for the other channels.
They confirmed that 12/1 was the date for cablecard customers only but that if I wanted the rest of the HBO's, I'd have to pay $5. I already subscribe to HBO and get them in SD so why do I have to pay extra for HD? I don't even watch them anyway.
But, as usual, the CSR was very confused, put me on hold a few times and came back not sounding sure about anything she just told me. In fact, I had to tell her what to look for and mentioned the 12/1 date before she even started giving me info.
And, no new channels on the horizon.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

If they are going to launch the HD premiums, why not just include them?

Not to mention the $75.00 install fee, is it really that tedious?

-Rob

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by Rob_:

Its all just one big cash grab. you know that rob.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
said by Rob_:

-Rob

the additional premiums are in the plus package.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

That's pretty effen sad if you ask me..

»www.ftc.gov and select "file a complaint" the extra premiums should be INCLUDED with your subscription package. If they need to kill the analog, so be it. Just make sure Cox has the basics ITC so all you need is a TV and you can pick em up. (in the clear) I read somewhere that TWC in Maine is encrypting the locals and going 100 percent digital.

Maybe then and only then.. ESPN will be exclusively on the sports pak as well as fox sports.

Whole home DVR's are a great idea, just don't push the fact we need to use your (cox) 1.0 ghz equipment just to get them. Please note, my family up in TWC/North Carolina has that CISCO in their TV room and no whole room DVR. It's a nice box

I've been a customer since 2000, and..think there needs to be changes.

-Rob
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

tim92078 to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
I just called Cox Phoenix to inquire. They've never heard of these channels so they aren't launched yet or I got a clueless rep.
Rasputin32
join:2011-12-08
Omaha, NE

Rasputin32 to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
As far as I know, this is only valid (currently) in California. You will obviously still need the Plus Package to receive these channels and not all markets have the full range of channels yet (Kansas/Arkansas doesn't have the complete Premium Plus lineup). I would imagine Omaha and Oklahoma aren't far behind.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41

Premium Member

Omaha already has them

»ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/resid ··· 1111.pdf

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
said by ajwees41:

said by Rob_:

-Rob

the additional premiums are in the plus package.

In which case those paying for HBO are getting ripped off
so much for that "free hd"
doesn't cox state if you pay for the sd channel you also get the hd version of said channel.
I pay for 9 hbos yet only get two in HD, however if i pay an extra $5/mo i can get more even though i'm already paying for them!!1

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to tim92078

Premium Member

to tim92078
said by tim92078:

I just called Cox Phoenix to inquire. They've never heard of these channels so they aren't launched yet or I got a clueless rep.

They have not "Offically" launced in AZ, but they are there, and I can see them in the channel listings on my TiVo Premiere, but when you tune to them they come up "Not Authorized", But when you bring up the DVR Diagnostic Menu you can see the channel frequency and tuning info.

1101 - Hub HD (Bonus Pak also required) - Live @ 891MHz
1133 - DIY HD (Variety Pak also required) - Live @ 885MHz
1134 - Cooking Channel HD (Variety Pak also required) - Live @ 885MHz
1161 - Outdoor Channel HD (Sports and Info Pak also required) - Live @ 957MHz
1900 - SWRV HD (Variety Pak also required) - Live @ 891MHz

1202 - HBO Signature HD - Live @ 909MHz
1203 - HBO Family HD - Live @ 927MHz
1204 - HBO Comedy HD - Live @ 933MHz
1205 - HBO Zone HD - Live @ 933MHz
1210 - HBO East HD - Live @ 897MHz
1211 - HBO2 East HD - Live @ 897MHz
1212 - HBO Latino HD - Live @ 903MHz

1222 - Action MAX HD - Live @ 915MHz
1223 - Thriller MAX HD - Live @ 945MHz
1225 - Cinamax East HD - Live @ 903MHz
1226 - More Max East HD - Live @ 915MHz
1230 - 5StarMAX HD - Live @ 945MHz

1242 - Showtime Showcase HD - Live @ 921MHz
1243 - Showtime Extreme HD - Live @ 939MHz
1251 - TMC Xtra HD - Live @ 939MHz

1263 - Starz East HD - Live @ 921MHz
1264 - Starz Kids & Family HD - Live @ 927MHz
1265 - Starz Cinema HD - Live @ 951MHz
1266 - Starz Comedy HD - Live @ 927MHz
pcostanza
Metairie, LA

pcostanza

I called last night because most of my 'new' channels are only seen on my cablecard tuner, not my dvr. After some time on hold, she came back to tell me that as of 12/1, certain cable card tuners (I think 1ghz???) can get those but the ones that ask for authorization, will require the $5 charge.
I said the same thing, I get all the HBO and Showtime channels as I pay for them, why not in HD.
And, there are still a number of SD channels that have not been moved to HD so there's not as much to brag about as they'd like to think.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
Not even on the menus here. trying to tune those channels just gets ???? for a few seconds.
I looked in the high numbered channel area[where cox puts test channels, nothing there]

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

You'll notice all the frequencies are above the tuner limitation of the existing legacy Cox SA equipment of 860MHz. They never will show up or be tunable on Cox equipment running the Rovi IPG, unless Cox decides to move them to below 860MHz. The Trio IPG running on the Cisco 8642HDC and 1642HDC have 1GHz tuners and are the only leased Cox equipment the channels will be available on.

CableCARD tuners capable of 1GHz, now that is a different story and the purpose of my original posting.
1GHz capable CableCARD tuners include:
• TivoHD & HDXL
• TiVo Premier
• TiVo Premier XL
• TiVo Premier Elite
• Ceton InfiniTV 4/6 OCUR PC digital cable tuner
• SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime
MrJustAGuy
join:2011-12-07
Virginia Beach, VA

MrJustAGuy

said by BryanInPHX:

• TivoHD & HDXL
• TiVo Premier
• TiVo Premier XL
• TiVo Premier Elite

They also have to support MPEG4. The TivoHD and HDXL aren't on the compatibility list I've seen. Other than that, your list is correct and complete.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:

You'll notice all the frequencies are above the tuner limitation of the existing legacy Cox SA equipment of 860MHz. They never will show up or be tunable on Cox equipment running the Rovi IPG, unless Cox decides to move them to below 860MHz. The Trio IPG running on the Cisco 8642HDC and 1642HDC have 1GHz tuners and are the only leased Cox equipment the channels will be available on.

CableCARD tuners capable of 1GHz, now that is a different story and the purpose of my original posting.
• TivoHD & HDXL
• TiVo Premier
• TiVo Premier XL
• TiVo Premier Elite

you forgot the Motorola DCX line that have 1Ghz tuners as well I'm not sure if Cisco offers more then the whole home dvr equipment as 1Ghz hardware.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

BryanInPHX to MrJustAGuy

Premium Member

to MrJustAGuy
said by MrJustAGuy:

They also have to support MPEG4. The TivoHD and HDXL aren't on the compatibility list I've seen. Other than that, your list is correct and complete.

Ohhh...Compatibility List, that sounds promising

Currently the Test channels in Phoenix are MPEG2, Do you know for a fact any market where they are currently in MPEG4? It should show the format in the DVR Diagnostic menu.

I know there was some talk of using MPEG4 and a recent article that stated that, I find it odd that if MPEG4 was the current format that Phoenix would be testing using MPEG2.
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· Tier.php

I also forgot about the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650, but I don't have a clue regarding it's specs.
BryanInPHX

BryanInPHX to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
said by ajwees41:

you forgot the Motorola DCX line that have 1Ghz tuners as well I'm not sure if Cisco offers more then the whole home dvr equipment as 1Ghz hardware.

I did not forget them, they are NOT Retail CableCARD devices, those are leased equipment, which is not the subject of this thread.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

Bryan the Rovi guide has nothing to do with the trio HD channels they can run on any guide as long as the hardware supports the frequncies.
ajwees41

ajwees41 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
it does kinda they are using cable cards and if you use them and subscribe to HBO you can't recieve all HBO HD without the ciso hardware for added charge

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

3 edits

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

said by BryanInPHX:

said by MrJustAGuy:

Ohhh...Compatibility List, that sounds promising

Currently the Test channels in Phoenix are MPEG2, Do you know for a fact any market where they are currently in MPEG4? It should show the format in the DVR Diagnostic menu.

I know there was some talk of using MPEG4 and a recent article that stated that, I find it odd that if MPEG4 was the current format that Phoenix would be testing using MPEG2.
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· Tier.php

Update: Cox AZ is now testing and broadcasting the Plus Package channels in MPEG4 (H.264)

Channel 1101 HUBHD

Video Format MPEG4 (H.264)

fuzzyfuk
join:2001-09-23
Tempe, AZ

fuzzyfuk to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
Any idea when these channels will launch in AZ? Would love to add these to my sub.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to ajwees41

to ajwees41
no under FCC law

Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box.

Receive all linear channels (channels other than on-demand) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called switched digital video, you may need a second device called a tuning adapter. This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operators Video on Demand services.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

well since the extra premium HD is in the Trio package we should get the with any hardware

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by ajwees41:

well since the extra premium HD is in the Trio package we should get the with any hardware

its a way to get an extra $5 for something those paying for premiums are ALREADY paying for.
sounds like double dipping to me!