share rss forum feed

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to BryanInPHX

Re: [CATV] Plus Package HD Channels & CableCARD

said by BryanInPHX:

You'll notice all the frequencies are above the tuner limitation of the existing legacy Cox SA equipment of 860MHz. They never will show up or be tunable on Cox equipment running the Rovi IPG, unless Cox decides to move them to below 860MHz. The Trio IPG running on the Cisco 8642HDC and 1642HDC have 1GHz tuners and are the only leased Cox equipment the channels will be available on.

CableCARD tuners capable of 1GHz, now that is a different story and the purpose of my original posting.
1GHz capable CableCARD tuners include:
• TivoHD & HDXL
• TiVo Premier
• TiVo Premier XL
• TiVo Premier Elite
• Ceton InfiniTV 4/6 OCUR PC digital cable tuner
• SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime

you forgot the Motorola DCX line that have 1Ghz tuners as well I'm not sure if Cisco offers more then the whole home dvr equipment as 1Ghz hardware.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to MrJustAGuy

said by MrJustAGuy:

They also have to support MPEG4. The TivoHD and HDXL aren't on the compatibility list I've seen. Other than that, your list is correct and complete.

Ohhh...Compatibility List, that sounds promising

Currently the Test channels in Phoenix are MPEG2, Do you know for a fact any market where they are currently in MPEG4? It should show the format in the DVR Diagnostic menu.

I know there was some talk of using MPEG4 and a recent article that stated that, I find it odd that if MPEG4 was the current format that Phoenix would be testing using MPEG2.
»www.multichannel.com/article/473···Tier.php

I also forgot about the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650, but I don't have a clue regarding it's specs.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desk, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAE

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

you forgot the Motorola DCX line that have 1Ghz tuners as well I'm not sure if Cisco offers more then the whole home dvr equipment as 1Ghz hardware.

I did not forget them, they are NOT Retail CableCARD devices, those are leased equipment, which is not the subject of this thread.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to ajwees41

Bryan the Rovi guide has nothing to do with the trio HD channels they can run on any guide as long as the hardware supports the frequncies.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to BryanInPHX

it does kinda they are using cable cards and if you use them and subscribe to HBO you can't recieve all HBO HD without the ciso hardware for added charge

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

3 edits
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

said by MrJustAGuy:

They also have to support MPEG4. The TivoHD and HDXL aren't on the compatibility list I've seen. Other than that, your list is correct and complete.

Ohhh...Compatibility List, that sounds promising

Currently the Test channels in Phoenix are MPEG2, Do you know for a fact any market where they are currently in MPEG4? It should show the format in the DVR Diagnostic menu.

I know there was some talk of using MPEG4 and a recent article that stated that, I find it odd that if MPEG4 was the current format that Phoenix would be testing using MPEG2.
»www.multichannel.com/article/473···Tier.php

Update: Cox AZ is now testing and broadcasting the Plus Package channels in MPEG4 (H.264)

Channel 1101 HUBHD

Video Format MPEG4 (H.264)

--
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAE

fuzzyfuk

join:2001-09-23
Tempe, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

Any idea when these channels will launch in AZ? Would love to add these to my sub.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to ajwees41

no under FCC law

Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box.

Receive all linear channels (channels other than on-demand) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called switched digital video, you may need a second device called a tuning adapter. This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operators Video on Demand services.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

well since the extra premium HD is in the Trio package we should get the with any hardware

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by ajwees41:

well since the extra premium HD is in the Trio package we should get the with any hardware

its a way to get an extra $5 for something those paying for premiums are ALREADY paying for.
sounds like double dipping to me!
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by dvd536:

said by ajwees41:

its a way to get an extra $5 for something those paying for premiums are ALREADY paying for.
sounds like double dipping to me!

if customers can't get all the premium channels without the Trio hardware isn't that braking FCC law?

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

Can we stay on topic here, This topic is about RETAIL devices. If you want the channels on leased Motorola equipment start your own thread, please.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by BryanInPHX:

Can we stay on topic here, This topic is about RETAIL devices. If you want the channels on leased Motorola equipment start your own thread, please.

it is on topic nowhere in the topic does it mention retail or leased just cable card

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

Just an update:
The Plus Package channels have finally Officially launched in Arizona.

They are available to Retail CableCARD devices at no additional cost above the HD service and a Subscription to corresponding programming Package or Premium channel. You do need to call and have the Plus Package added to your account and have your CableCARD correctly Authorized for these channels. Most employees are not aware of the new channels or policy regarding CableCARDs and will need to be educated.

There currently is an issue with my Authorization and despite more than a dozen employees involved and a Tech roll, Cox has not been able to get the channels working for me.

In Arizona the channels are MPEG4 (H.264) so the Officially supported list of Retail CableCARD devices are:
• TiVo Premier
• TiVo Premier XL
• TiVo Premier Elite
• Ceton InfiniTV 4/6 OCUR PC digital cable tuner
--
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

tim85254

join:2010-07-15

They refused to sell it to me - "sir, you have to have our whole-home DVR service. We're not going to argue with you."

That's twice in a month I've called them wanting to spend more money and been turned down.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

There is nothing to "sell" it is free for the asking. Most phone CSRs do not know about it.

Contact or Email the AZ Facebook / Twitter staff. Both Yousef and Mick are good contacts and know what is going on.
»twitter.com/CoxArizona_Help

tim85254

One of these days my default behavior will change to be 'Tweet' rather than call

tim85254

reply to BryanInPHX

Well, they claim they added the channels to my account but I still can't tune any of them.

So now we're at "truck roll," so a guy can come out here and call their office. Whatever... I'm not payin' for the service call.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

Cox has still not been able to "Authorize" the channels for me either. I have had two truck rolls so far and everyone seems confused.

The Techs today said that the engineers in the office have not been able to get the channels to work on their test TiVo Premieres. Yet the Tech yesterday said it has been successfully done already. And I know for a fact that Cox San Diego and Orange County have done this successfully.

I'd like to know what makes the Plus Package Authorization any different than any other Package Authorization.

Cox should really consider a dedicated CableCARD support team, rather than wasting time and money on unnecessary truck-rolls, and leaving the average CSR and Techs to learn as they go.
--

tim85254

Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by BryanInPHX:

Cox should really consider a dedicated CableCARD support team, rather than wasting time and money on unnecessary truck-rolls, and leaving the average CSR and Techs to learn as they go.

Meh. It could be worse - I could be waiting on them to install that whole-home-DVR crapola.

So the appointment is for between 3 and 5 tomorrow. Tomorrow at 2:30 I may well yank all three cablecards from the units and shuffle them around - thus breaking the pairings and forcing them to rebuild/reinitialize everything on my account when they arrive. They're not going to want to do that because "it will take too much time" - but I bet it'll fix it. Otherwise they'll just make a half-assed effort at it. What do you think?

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

Cox supposedly has removed everything from my account and re-added the equipment back. But I question whether they really did that because it all happened within minutes and I never lost a picture.

I am just going to be patient and follow-up every day, given this is so new to AZ. The Twitter support guys, Yousef and Mick are following up everyday.

I would really like to know if anyone with a Ceton InfiniTV4 has received them yet, in Arizona, Someone posted @ AVSF that they did get them, but now I am questioning that claim, and would like to hear from someone else.
--

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA

FWIW, I receive all plus package channels fine on both my TiVo's here in SoCal. We've had the Plus Package channels for a few months now. I don't subscribe to the premiums like HBO or SHO, but everything else comes and authorizes just fine.

I've been through these "Authorization" headaches with COX before and they are clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I've had other non-plus package channels and premiums that wouldn't "Authorize" properly. After going round and round, I eventually canceled the channels for this reason. The COX CSR's did the same re-provision trick of removing the equipment and adding it back. Same deal with no change in picture tuning. Either they are faking it, or their system really doesn't toggle the authorization signal until either the account is canceled or the associated billing plan is removed. Neither of which they are likely to gamble with given potential proration and other billing headaches may occur.

Is your CableCard new, or reused from another CableCard device?

I've had authorization issues in the past when moving cards between TiVo units, even when COX updated their records with the correct/NEW TiVo Host ID, Data, etc..

My guess is there one engineer at COX Atlanta that handles channel authorization mapping. Right now everyone is trying to figure out either A) Who that person is and/or B) If said individual is authorized to make the necessary change to resolve the issue. Welcome to the world of big business politics where no one really knows who owns what let alone who is internally authorized to make a decision on behalf of the customer.

tim85254

Reviews:
·Cox HSI

The cablecards are likely not new, but they're activated in the first device in which I've placed them. Every time I've added a TiVo, I go get a card/ TA.

My patience isn't all that thin yet - kind of enjoying watching them stumble and bumble actually. It's funny that they're equally as incompetent as they can be arrogant.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

maybe some should file with the FCC

»www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-kno···r-rights

Receive all linear channels (channels other than on-demand) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called switched digital video, you may need a second device called a tuning adapter. This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operators Video on Demand service

tim85254

Reviews:
·Cox HSI

They sent a contractor who had no clue what the issue was.

After I brought him up to speed, he had his dispatcher on speakerphone and the guy said "I don't even know why they scheduled a service call, we may not have this fixed for weeks."

Now I'm pissed. FCC complaint has been filed.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to tim85254

said by tim85254:

- kind of enjoying watching them stumble and bumble actually. It's funny that they're equally as incompetent as they can be arrogant.

It is fun isn't it? I am enjoying this part.

tim85254

Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to BryanInPHX

Well, I'll predict the future - as it stands, one month from now there will be an OTA antenna on my apartment balcony and I will own two fewer TiVos, having retained only the unit with lifetime subscription. I will own another Roku and my Cox subscription (if any) will very likely be Internet-only.

I've been on the phone for the last hour with their cablecard activation center in Omaha and we found that two of my cablecards are associated with the same tuning adapter. They were very helpful, going so far as to help me cross reference cable card with tivo host ID with tuning adapter serial number.

But, at the root of it - why am I spending all this time out of my weekend to mess with this?! What's more, why on earth am I spending SO much money on teevee?!

At the end of all of it, I don't have the plus package HD channels. There's Yet Another Service Call scheduled for next Saturday in the morning (to look at signal levels), but I may cancel it.

Going to cool off for about 24 hours and see if I'm still feeling the same way - but I think I've had my "Come to Jesus" "Cut the Cord" moment. This simply isn't worth it.

tim85254

Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

Well, OTA just isn't an option. I could live with it IF I had a solid locks-100%-of-the-time signal - but that's not going to happen. From where I live I don't have line of sight to South Mountain.

I've been curious about the new Windows Media Center options available. I may return it, but by tomorrow at this time I'll have a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime on my network. I'll yank the cablecard out of my TiVo HD - which I was going to retire anyway - and re-pair it with the HDHomerun. I'll post the results here.

I also complained to the appropriate City of Phoenix office in addition to the FCC. I'm not much for writing letters to executives, but I just might drop a note in the mail to Stephen Rizley yet this week. I'm very curious to see if the plus channels work on the HDHomerun, that and I kind of like the Media Center interface.

tim85254

Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to BryanInPHX

Check out my beautiful picture quality on Cartoon Network HD - after TWO truck rolls. (This is topical because the second truck roll was the attempt at authorizing my TiVo Premieres.)

Doesn't get any better than this, cox....

SatManager

join:2011-03-17
North Las Vegas, NV

If it was a painting, someone would pay big bucks for that!