join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to tim85254

Re: [CATV] Plus Package HD Channels & CableCARD

Cox supposedly has removed everything from my account and re-added the equipment back. But I question whether they really did that because it all happened within minutes and I never lost a picture.

I am just going to be patient and follow-up every day, given this is so new to AZ. The Twitter support guys, Yousef and Mick are following up everyday.

I would really like to know if anyone with a Ceton InfiniTV4 has received them yet, in Arizona, Someone posted @ AVSF that they did get them, but now I am questioning that claim, and would like to hear from someone else.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desk, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA
FWIW, I receive all plus package channels fine on both my TiVo's here in SoCal. We've had the Plus Package channels for a few months now. I don't subscribe to the premiums like HBO or SHO, but everything else comes and authorizes just fine.

I've been through these "Authorization" headaches with COX before and they are clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I've had other non-plus package channels and premiums that wouldn't "Authorize" properly. After going round and round, I eventually canceled the channels for this reason. The COX CSR's did the same re-provision trick of removing the equipment and adding it back. Same deal with no change in picture tuning. Either they are faking it, or their system really doesn't toggle the authorization signal until either the account is canceled or the associated billing plan is removed. Neither of which they are likely to gamble with given potential proration and other billing headaches may occur.

Is your CableCard new, or reused from another CableCard device?

I've had authorization issues in the past when moving cards between TiVo units, even when COX updated their records with the correct/NEW TiVo Host ID, Data, etc..

My guess is there one engineer at COX Atlanta that handles channel authorization mapping. Right now everyone is trying to figure out either A) Who that person is and/or B) If said individual is authorized to make the necessary change to resolve the issue. Welcome to the world of big business politics where no one really knows who owns what let alone who is internally authorized to make a decision on behalf of the customer.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
The cablecards are likely not new, but they're activated in the first device in which I've placed them. Every time I've added a TiVo, I go get a card/ TA.

My patience isn't all that thin yet - kind of enjoying watching them stumble and bumble actually. It's funny that they're equally as incompetent as they can be arrogant.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
maybe some should file with the FCC

»www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-kno···r-rights

Receive all linear channels (channels other than on-demand) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called switched digital video, you may need a second device called a tuning adapter. This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operators Video on Demand service

tim85254

They sent a contractor who had no clue what the issue was.

After I brought him up to speed, he had his dispatcher on speakerphone and the guy said "I don't even know why they scheduled a service call, we may not have this fixed for weeks."

Now I'm pissed. FCC complaint has been filed.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to tim85254
said by tim85254:

- kind of enjoying watching them stumble and bumble actually. It's funny that they're equally as incompetent as they can be arrogant.

It is fun isn't it? I am enjoying this part.

tim85254

reply to BryanInPHX
Well, I'll predict the future - as it stands, one month from now there will be an OTA antenna on my apartment balcony and I will own two fewer TiVos, having retained only the unit with lifetime subscription. I will own another Roku and my Cox subscription (if any) will very likely be Internet-only.

I've been on the phone for the last hour with their cablecard activation center in Omaha and we found that two of my cablecards are associated with the same tuning adapter. They were very helpful, going so far as to help me cross reference cable card with tivo host ID with tuning adapter serial number.

But, at the root of it - why am I spending all this time out of my weekend to mess with this?! What's more, why on earth am I spending SO much money on teevee?!

At the end of all of it, I don't have the plus package HD channels. There's Yet Another Service Call scheduled for next Saturday in the morning (to look at signal levels), but I may cancel it.

Going to cool off for about 24 hours and see if I'm still feeling the same way - but I think I've had my "Come to Jesus" "Cut the Cord" moment. This simply isn't worth it.

tim85254

reply to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:

• SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime

Well, OTA just isn't an option. I could live with it IF I had a solid locks-100%-of-the-time signal - but that's not going to happen. From where I live I don't have line of sight to South Mountain.

I've been curious about the new Windows Media Center options available. I may return it, but by tomorrow at this time I'll have a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime on my network. I'll yank the cablecard out of my TiVo HD - which I was going to retire anyway - and re-pair it with the HDHomerun. I'll post the results here.

I also complained to the appropriate City of Phoenix office in addition to the FCC. I'm not much for writing letters to executives, but I just might drop a note in the mail to Stephen Rizley yet this week. I'm very curious to see if the plus channels work on the HDHomerun, that and I kind of like the Media Center interface.

tim85254

reply to BryanInPHX
Check out my beautiful picture quality on Cartoon Network HD - after TWO truck rolls. (This is topical because the second truck roll was the attempt at authorizing my TiVo Premieres.)

Doesn't get any better than this, cox....

SatManager

join:2011-03-17
North Las Vegas, NV
If it was a painting, someone would pay big bucks for that!

tim85254

reply to tim85254

It's a TiVo-specific problem... the channels are authorized

Here's proof:

I have the SiliconDust HDHomeRun installed and working. The install is a topic for a whole other post - all I will say is that by the time you're done installing it on Media Center you will have said

"What the ____insert most vile obscene combination of phrasal and unlikely expletives______ is PlayReady?!"

But that's off-topic.

The image is off of HBO1210.

Cox, you're not off the hook yet. You 'tards couldn't fix my signal in two visits... better happen the next one!! My signal levels on TOONHD and NATGEOHD are still caca.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
said by tim85254:

I have the SiliconDust HDHomeRun installed and working.

The image is off of HBO1210.

My signal levels on TOONHD and NATGEOHD are still caca.

How is your signal on BBC America HD? That is my worst signal level and the Tech today said that is one of the most common problem channels.

Thanks for posting, this confirms that the issue is a TiVo issue.
--
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp

tim85254

1 edit
reply to BryanInPHX

Re: [CATV] Plus Package HD Channels & CableCARD

A picture's worth 1000 words. BBCAHD is not a problem channel for me, actually.

Whereas TOONPHD IS a problem channel - i.e. Adult Swim's messed up

I'm glad I was able to confirm. Tomorrow I'm going to call and cancel TiVo service on my TiVo HD... that'll leave the two Premieres active on my (TiVo) account.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Tim, I forgot to ask if you are getting these channels also.

1101 - Hub HD (Bonus Pak also required)
1133 - DIY HD (Variety Pak also required)
1134 - Cooking Channel HD (Variety Pak also required)
1161 - Outdoor Channel HD (Sports and Info Pak also required)
1900 - SWRV HD (Variety Pak also required)
--

tim85254

Yes, I get all of those.

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to tim85254
said by tim85254:

A picture's worth 1000 words. BBCAHD is not a problem channel for me, actually.
[att=1]

Whereas TOONPHD IS a problem channel - i.e. Adult Swim's messed up
[att=2]

I'm glad I was able to confirm. Tomorrow I'm going to call and cancel TiVo service on my TiVo HD... that'll leave the two Premieres active on my (TiVo) account.

Call and ask for the $99 Lifetime before you cancel it.. ANd then resell it for the $$$$$$$$$

tim85254

Cox was out for the 3rd and 4th time this morning. Not sure what they replaced outside, but all my signals are now crystal clear. Strength readings are a little on the weak side but the quality measurements are where they should be - and those are what matter. NGCHD and TOONHD are viewable now.

As for the plus package HD channels - still not working on TiVo although they've made zero (visible) effort in that regard. The two guys that were out here this morning said their focus was solely on signal strength - they were pretty insistent they I focus only on that with regard to any survey responses.

Those same channels continue to work perfectly on the non-TiVo cablecard device. The only thing stopping me from dumping TiVo is the 600watt power supply in my media center PC and having to buy an xbox to connect to my second TV.

TiVo's suggestion was laughable. After spending another 45 minutes on the phone with them... "You should see if Cox has a MOTOROLA tuning adapter and cablecard you can try."

AnonGuy

@cox.net
Tim,

There are Internal Memos going around that Cox is fully aware of the problem. It is nothing anyone in the field can fix.

Hopefully it get's fixed soon.

tim85254

I don't understand why Cox can't take ownership of it to my face!

Don't get me wrong I appreciate you posting (because it *sort of* is equivalent to Cox taking ownership - but not quite), but it's really annoying to be paying serious coin every month for internet and cable to one provider, paying TiVo for enhanced guide data and a better user interface -- and both parties can't come up with anything better than to say "it's that other company's fault."

I'd like to be able to just appreciate TV and use it as entertainment - I do software development for a living, why on earth should I have to use those skills to solve problems (or spot a line of BS) with my TV providers?

shads1

@cox.net
Why should cox take ownership of a problem with someone elses product? You said it is a tivo problem, cox is obviously supporting the cablecard or it wouldn't be working in the non-tivo devices, I think your directing your anger towards cox when the problem lies with the tivo not working as it should, it is not cox's responsibility to fix tivo's problems, thats like blaming the power co because your light switch doesn't work anymore

tim85254

I'm seriously upset with Cox for not fixing an underlying problem that I was having with signal strength - concurrently with their attempting to authorize the additional channels. I believe they'd have taken it seriously if I had a couple of their crap boxes and not TiVos.

I don't know whose problem it is or who to believe really. Its new territory - channel above 860 mhz with h.264 encoding.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
said by tim85254:

I'm seriously upset with Cox for not fixing an underlying problem that I was having with signal strength - concurrently with their attempting to authorize the additional channels. I believe they'd have taken it seriously if I had a couple of their crap boxes and not TiVos.

I don't know whose problem it is or who to believe really. Its new territory - channel above 860 mhz with h.264 encoding.

start a new thread

tim85254

said by ajwees41:

start a new thread

No thanks, the response is here...

"I don't know whose problem it is or who to believe really. Its new territory - channel above 860 mhz with h.264 encoding."

Both Cox and TiVo are pretty much unresponsive, and signal strength was one of the red herrings thrown out there by Cox in the get-the-guy-with-customer-owned-equipment-to-just-go-away phase of Not Troubleshooting.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

1 edit
how would the answer be here this is about the plus channels not signal strength

I'm seriously upset with Cox for not fixing an underlying problem that I was having with signal strength

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
Having good signals becomes very important due to the high frequency of the channels which are mostly in the 900MHz range.

Cox has been testing the channels in AZ since November, Common sense would seem to dictate that part of that testing should have included Retail CableCARD devices. Cox is at fault here for not ensuring compatibility at launch.

Testing MPEG4 (H.264) delivery of linear channels in Cox's largest market was probably not the best decision either.

shads1

@cox.net
I agree with the good signals part but

IMHO common sense would dictate that each manufacturer should test their own equipment for compatibility before selling the box and telling its customers that it will work

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Would that be CableLabs Certification?

tim85254

reply to ajwees41
It's a red herring from Cox because getting the authorization really has more to do with the FDC signal strength. Signal strength in the 860mhz+ range just controls whether the channel renders at all.

Meanwhile there has been no communication from Cox or TiVo about the issue.

Realistically I've spent more hours fighting it than I'll be spending watching content on those channels, and I'm not going to debate whether I should be opening another thread with someone who doesn't even use TiVo or cablecards directly.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
well if you get the other channels except the Trio added ones the FDC signal strength would seem like it's fine

and do you really think cox will say if it should work? they want the extra money they plus package brings in.

tim85254

reply to tim85254
So far no update from Cox, unsurprisingly.