Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

[Thunderbird] Trying to connect Thunderbird to Yahoo mail

Click for full size
Settings in Thunderbird for Yahoo
Hello,

I did a search on this, and found a few things, but they were a bit old (from 2009), so I figured I would start a new thread on the subject.

I'm using Thunderbird 8.x on Windows 7 Enterprise x64 bit.

I went ahead and connected Thunderbird to my gmail account without any problems. It found all the needed account settings, and it works like a champ!

However, the same was not true when I tried to setup my yahoo account via Thunderbird.

When I click the "create account" button from the screen shown above, Thunderbird does some processing, and then it comes up with a message on that same screen that says

Configuration could not be verified -- is the username or password wrong?

I know the username and password is correct, so I go look in the error console, and I see the following message

pop.mail.yahoo.com : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

So, now here I am, trying to figure out what that means, and what I need to do to fix it!

Thanks!

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9

... need Yahoo! Mail Plus.

Try searching net for solution.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Hi,

I did a search for Yahoo! Mail Plus, and it looks like to get that, I have to pay $19.99 a year for that service!

Isn't there a way to do that without having to pay for it? I thought I read in a post from 2009 that there was some way to get Thunderbird to do it using something called YPOPS? If that is the case, how do you use it?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

cuda7071

join:2001-03-16
Mars, PA
reply to plencnerb

Yahoo mail (free) does not support pop access. You can access your mail if you change the preferred content to Asia, (which supports pop mail). I did this several years ago and can recieve yahoo mail using Outlook or Thunderbird. If you do an internet search for 'Yahoo POP Mail' I believe you will get detailed info on setting this up.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit

I did a search on 'Yahoo POP Mail', and added something with Asia, and I came across this page

»www.khimhoe.net/2009/06/20/how-t···oo-mail/

Its a bit dated, but there was an update that the person made to it in June of this year. That page is here

»www.khimhoe.net/2011/06/11/how-t···une2011/

It appears that the main thing behind using your location as Asia is that (from what I have read so far, and you probably already know this), is that while POP3 access you have to pay for, if you are an "Asia User", you can use it for free.

However, it looks like Yahoo is on to us, as that modifications described in the June 2011 update also no longer work.

I'm going to keep looking and see what else I can come up with. But, I think I'm on the right path. Once I find the info, I'll pass on the links here.

EDIT:

I did a lot more reading, and found this long thread

»picobit.wordpress.com/2009/04/10···-access/

And there were a few places in there where it said to try different settings for your Regional Site and Language, as well as the Time Zone.

What I finally did was to change it so that not only was it Asia, but the fonts displayed would be the Asian character set. After doing that, and logging back in (let me tell you it took a bit to find things with most of the characters changed to the Asian Character set...), I did get back to the mail settings, and I did find the POP3 option. I set it, logged out, and then logged back into yahoo (just to make sure the settings kept).

I then went into Thunderbird, and let it setup the account without any other modifications.

Lo and Behold, IT WORKED!

I then went in and set everything back on my yahoo account to English (as I do go in there from time to time, and want to be able to READ things!), then logged out, and tried thunderbird again. It still works.

--Brian

WWa

join:2011-09-02

Interesting. There's a non-Asian alternative for some accounts: While setting up POP Peeper for checking a free Yahoo account, I noticed optional IMAP settings. The settings worked for me in Thunderbird too -- although they say IMAP may not work for all accounts.

Incoming: imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993, SSL
Outgoing: smtp.mail.yahoo.com, port 465, SSL
I had to change the "Sent" folder in Copies & Folders.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

I found that GMX mail could get your Yahoo mail. So I transferred all Yahoo stuff over. Thunderbird does do GMX, so I could store some of the messages I wanted to keep on my own computer. Since I cleaned Yahoo out, I just forward the piece of mail to GMX.

cuda7071

join:2001-03-16
Mars, PA
reply to plencnerb

Happy it worked out for you.
I remember there was some procedure involved to make the change but it was so long ago I forgot what was involved.
In any case, you should be good to go now, as long as Yahoo keeps the pop option available for Asia.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to WWa

This works perfectly ! Thanks for the info.
--
DirecTV is pretty neat.

ZeddicusToo

@verizon.net
reply to plencnerb

There's also WebMail -- been around for a long time.

»webmail.mozdev.org/

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

If you have a yahoo.ca address it supports POP access.
I've been doing that for years.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Still There
All:

I just wanted to send an update to this.

After I got it all working, I went back into my yahoo account, and changed the settings in the language / time zone back to what they should be for my region / location. I figured that things would stop working, and the option would go away.

However, that was well over a week ago now, and things still work. In fact, as you can see in the above picture, that option is still present for me. I got there by clicking on the Options menu item at the top, and then clicking on Mail Options (that should be visible in the picture).

I figured that when I switched things back from Asia settings, and back to a normal US Yahoo account, it would go back to not being an option. From what I can tell, that is not the case.

By the way, the full set of options for that drop down choice are below

Don't download spam email
Download spam with no special indicators
Download spam, but prefix the word "Spam"

Anyway, just wanted to report what I'm seeing with my account, to see if that is the same with others or not.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to WWa

Cool the ''imap'' settings worked great .

thx.
--
~~Get our troops home...now!!~~

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Everyone,

I wanted to update this, as I think the folks at yahoo are catching on.

I tried to help a friend out and make the changes to her account, so she could use Thunderbird. I did the same steps as I did, but when you mouse over the link for "POP & Forwarding", the URL that comes up is below

»us.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/app/minty/···/upgrade

Notice that it says UPGRADE in the URL. What is strange is that is the URL for my "modified" yahoo account, yet I still get the option to change it. I think that if you did change it before, and it worked, you will still see the option. However, if you are trying to do it now, it won't work.

I even modified the server (tried ca.mg5.mail.com, tk.mg5.mail.com, and one or two others) and they all point to the same URL with upgrade at the end.

Makes me wonder what else we need to "modify" in our accounts now to get it to work. Or, if they just closed that loophole where everyone, including those in Asia, have to pay to get this service.

What I don't understand is why have it be a paid upgrade? If everyone else is doing it for free, you would think Yahoo would not be getting a lot of extra cash off of this option.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along the fact that it looks like Yahoo has modified things again, and this may no longer work for new setups. I will say that my two yahoo accounts that I modified a month ago continue to work (still get mail in Thunderbird). So, while they did not turn it off for those that have it, it appears that we need to find a new way to turn it on if you don't already have it on.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner