how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Coolguy2

@optonline.net

[iO] Cable box HDMI to Onkyo Receiver to TV Questions

Im still on the learning curve.

I am going to have the following set up Cable box connected to Onkyo Receiver connected to TV, hopefully with just HDMI cables.

1) Does cablevision io boxes HDMI cables support ARC (Audio Return Channel) so that the Onkyo receiver can pick off the audio on the hdmi cable and therefore eliminate any audio connection from TV back to Onkyo receiver thru optical cable?

2) I need to buy some cables...all I know is that they must be high-speed HDMI to support 1080p and 3d. What kind of ends (connectors) would be the most common?

Thank you

(everything is on UPS trucks or else I would look).

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

Regarding question #1, why do you need the ARC?

The CATV program audio is on the HDMI cable as it leaves the Cablevision STB (set top box). The A/V receiver (Onkyo in your case) decodes this STB-generated digital audio stream sending sound to your home theater system. The HDMI video stream (and audio) is switched by your A/V receiver to the HDMI output connector associated with your TV.

The TV set not normally in the CATV home theater audio path. The HDMI ARC feature might be used if you are decoding audio from an ATSC (off-the-air digital broadcast) at the TV and want to back feed it to you home theater. In this case the STB plays no role.

Regarding question #2, the most common HDMI connectors for non-portable devices (like your setup) are the full size (Type "A"), as illustrated here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Connectors

I normally buy my HDMI cables on Amazon or from Monoprice.com, where you can normally find cables that are much cheaper (and better quality) than those at local retailers. 26 AWG and 24 AWG HDMI cables are better (lower loss) than the less expense cables made from 28 AWG wires.

Coolguy2

@ashcroft.com

Yah I totally misunderstood ARC. Thanks.

The STB is not a factor, but I don't think getting audio from STB is good because TV resynchronizes audio (lip sync delay).

I guess I still need an optical cable from TV Audio Out to AV Receiver in to get audio while I watch You Tube/WWW over the TV Wifi link.

Very good suggestion on cables, I buy Amazon Basic Cables for everything from SATA to optical TOS link.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

Regarding streaming media across you Home Network (be it Internet-sourced or from a locally connected device (e.g., PC, network-attached-storage HDD)), I use my Blu-Ray player or Western Digital "Live TV Plus" device for playback rather than the TV. The HDMI outputs of these devices are already connected to my home theater receiver so there is no issue getting the audio to playback on the home theater (they essentially look like another STB (i.e., video source) from the home theater receiver perspective).

Using the TV as the streaming device (in addition to a display device) introduces the home theater audio playback complication you mention. Backfeeding the TV digital audio as you describe should work, however.

Coolguy2

@ashcroft.com

Yah I guess it all depends on whether this "lip sync" delay (delaying the audio to match how fast the tv can render a set of frames) thing is real or just a marketing bullet point.

Thanks for your advice

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

What specific lip-sync issue are you concerned with? I have not encountered any lip-sync problems streaming video to a home theater-connected Blu-ray (media) Player with HDMI video pass-through to the TV. Keep in mind that HDMI video is uncompressed, so processing delays are minimal.

With that said, lip-sync can be somewhat subjective (what is disturbing to one person is not to another)

Coolguy2

@optonline.net

All I know is that "delay correction" seems to be a marketing point on all the Tv's that I looked at. So I got the idea that it was a significant issue.

I suspect the TV can delay rendering frames to enhance the picture with video signal processing. (ie to reduce motion blur, to sharpen edges, whatever)

For instance, you cannot play on video game on this LED TV because the signal processing makes the video lag terrible. To get around this, the TV has a game mode setting which eliminates the video signal processing and gives you a much quicker video response time.

If the lag makes a video game unplayable, then it can surely affect the audio synchronization. But I have to wait until Saturday to witness all of this.