All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DJclueless
join:2008-12-30
Wichita, KS

DJclueless

[Modem] Reasonable life span of Motorola 2210-02-1002?

My 2210-02-1002 (Motorola) turned up dead today--no power getting to the unit, no lights, nothing. I have not seen anything about power source failure with this model. It has been in use for 37 months (upside down on a pedestal to facilitate air flow/cooling). I was just wondering what kind of work lifespan others might be experiencing for this unit. Thanks.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

1 recommendation

medbuyer

you're lucky you got 3 years out of it...

I had mine working for 6 months and it started malfunctioning after...replaced it with a 2Wire, replaced again in about a year, replaced it with a 3347 and worked non stop until I cut off dsl to go to cable.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth to DJclueless

Premium Member

to DJclueless
Yes, I am sure that I got a lot less than three years out of the one I had.

Tim

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to DJclueless

MVM

to DJclueless
i've had several that did not last 3 months, let alone 3 years. when AT&T send them now, it just toss them on the shelf and use a Westell 7500 or a Netopia/Motorola 3347.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to DJclueless

Premium Member

to DJclueless
Did you try substituting another power supply? The modem itself may be fine.
DJclueless
Wichita, KS

DJclueless

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I was very lucky to get three years from it.
daveinpoway--I'll try another power supply and see what happens (or doesn't).
poco
join:2009-08-15
North Little Rock, AR

poco

+ 1 on trying another power supply.

Just a couple of days ago I got a call that a friends internet connection was down and went to see what I could do. I brought along with me a spare 12v power supply (positive center pin).
When I got there the Motorola 2210 was dead (no lights), swapped the power supply and it fired right up and they were back on the internet. The modem has been in service since 2009 and with the new power supply has been brought back to life.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to DJclueless

to DJclueless
The amount of equipment that is considered "dead" due to power supplies is crazy... for this reason I almost never toss power bricks in the trash! A month or two ago my sister was ready to trash & buy a new Wii... I let her use mine, and Nintendo had her in business three days later.
DJclueless
Wichita, KS

DJclueless

Success (at least temporarily)! I dug up a suitable power brick, plugged in the 2210 and it works. Woohoo off of dial up again at last.
Thanks for encouraging me to check that more thoroughly.