how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MagicLove

@cox.net
reply to M I Furst

Re: $34.95 magicJack PLUS to existing customers

I just ordered SIX of them at the discounted price! They make great Christmas presents.

Already have two in operation for about the past 45 days. Working well. Also have a NetTalk Duo. Prefer the MJ.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
said by MagicLove :

Also have a NetTalk Duo. Prefer the MJ.

Why? Just curious....

m3uke2x4

@bell.ca
reply to M I Furst
i would like to buy majic jack plus

FadedMagic

join:2011-11-30
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by MagicLove :

Also have a NetTalk Duo. Prefer the MJ.

Why? Just curious....

Perhaps posted by an employee of MJ. Hard to fathom this as a great Christmas present, much less 6 of them. Didn't know you could even get 6 of them at the discount. Considering these two technologies are essentially the same like was stated before the biggest difference would seem to be the horrible MJ customer service and underhanded tactics. Hard to believe I find myself ready to buy MJ+ for $35 when offered. All things being equal I would go to NetTalk just to leave the MJ circus behind. For $35 less on a line that isn't that ciritical to me, I will try MJ+ for a year. It seems clear that NetTalk doesn't think they need to discount, probably feeling they can easily compete with MJ and their shenanigans over a longer period of time. They are probably right considering Dan's track record.

vbcomer

@express-scripts.com
reply to M I Furst
I am really disappointed by MJ for not allowing me (or existing customers) to transfer existing plans over to the MJ+. I now know that I made a mistake by signing up with them for 5 years. Mark my words, MJ, as soon as the service expires, I will leave.

Greedy companies like BoA, Netflix, or Apple won't have my business.

MagicLove

@cox.net
reply to FadedMagic
FadedMagic, I'm NO employee of MJ, just a very happy customer to be saving a HUGE amount of money every single month by using a MagicJack. I remember once overhearing a wise business man saying to be concerned about recurring expenses as they are the costs that are pernicious. I love saving a buck. In this economy, that's considered smart.

And yes, Christmas presents. A few years ago, I bought 20 MJ's as presents and they were happily received. It's still a good conversation piece!

BTW, I just turned a friend on to MJ. He's been paying over $55.00 per month to a cable company for phone service (yikes!). He fired up his new MJ+ two days ago and loves it! So let's see: $660.00 - $70 = $590.00 in savings per year! The numbers speak for themselves.

Finally, someone else asked about why MJ versus NetTalk. I find that NetTalk forces all the RTP voice mail (the audio) to Miami which is completely on the other side of the country from me which results in poor audio quality. When I'm using NetTalk, I'm often told my voice is choppy, yet when I immediately call the person back using my MajicJack line, everything is fine. I have a multi-line phone, so all other components involved in the conversation are the same, IOW, it's not my Internet, routers, phone device, etc.

FadedMagic

said by MagicLove :

FadedMagic, I'm NO employee of MJ, just a very happy customer to be saving a HUGE amount of money every single month by using a MagicJack....And yes, Christmas presents. A few years ago, I bought 20 MJ's as presents and they were happily received....Finally, someone else asked about why MJ versus NetTalk. I find that NetTalk forces all the RTP voice mail (the audio) to Miami which is completely on the other side of the country from me which results in poor audio quality. When I'm using NetTalk, I'm often told my voice is choppy, yet when I immediately call the person back using my MajicJack line, everything is fine. I have a multi-line phone, so all other components involved in the conversation are the same, IOW, it's not my Internet, routers, phone device, etc.

Thanks for the additional info. That is an interesting comparison and useful info as to WHY the quality difference might exist. That's probably the first time I've seen it stated in those terms. btw I'm not a MJ hater, but I don't like their business practices and I don't think they'll survive long term unless they become more customer friendly and lose the appearance of being sleazy and a scam. I have been an MJ customer for 3+ years using it on a non-critical line and in spite of all of this I will buy a MJ+ if and when I see the promo offer. I am hoping it's finally the solution that can help me lose my land line.

MagicLove

@cox.net
Years ago, with the original MJ, I experienced a few problems because the USB port power was insufficient or the computer was underpowered. Because I call a lot, I decided to dedicate a standalone low-wattage, relatively low-cost computer to the MagicJack and ever since life improved greatly. In the beginning, when i had newbie questions, tech support left something to be desired, but they've improved a lot, but still, even with multiple MJ's, I have very little need (actually no need) to contact them, so I don't get wrapped up in the past.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
said by MagicLove :

Years ago, with the original MJ, I experienced a few problems because the USB port power was insufficient or the computer was underpowered. Because I call a lot, I decided to dedicate a standalone low-wattage, relatively low-cost computer to the MagicJack and ever since life improved greatly. In the beginning, when i had newbie questions, tech support left something to be desired, but they've improved a lot, but still, even with multiple MJ's, I have very little need (actually no need) to contact them, so I don't get wrapped up in the past.

Why you have good results, in a nutshell. I'm using a laptop with a broken screen. 16 watts when MJ isn't in use, a few more when it is.

It's nice to hear that someone is having better luck with chatty support.

My problem has always been the way the company is run rather than any issue with the hardware itself.

FadedMagic

reply to M I Furst
I don't want it to be dependent upon the computer and I don't want a thin client running dedicated to MJ, that is why MJ+ and NetTalk Duo are so appealing. There seem to be some early issues with error 23 but I did go ahead and order my MJ+ for $35 + $10 fees and shipping today using this technique:

»www.magicjacksupport.com/no-prom···605.html

If you want to use this method, better hurry. I'd guess customer service will suddenly not be able to find your Account ID for you once Dan gets wind of this workaround. YMMV

ViKinG

@rr.com
reply to M I Furst
Got the email today, and the links work and I am able to purchase the magicjack plus for $34.95. However that's not a viable option. 4 years ago when I first got the Magicjack I loved it so much, I then bought the 5 year option. I still have almost $40 in my account. I AM NOT ABLE TO USE THE MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT TO PURCHASE THE MAGICJACK PLUS, I have to use a credit card and charge it. No thank you. To the Magicjack powers that be, is this how you reward a loyal customer? As soon as my money runs out, I'm getting the Ooma from Costco, they have a good price and they won't nickel and dime me to death. Shame on you Magicjack marketers, you're bringing shame to a good product.

pensioner
Premium
join:2005-02-20
Clarksville, TN
reply to M I Furst
got the ad today but before I buy I've got three questions for the board: must this replace my existing MJ or can I set it up as a second MJ phone with a new MJ number, 2, do I have to activate now or can I wait for lets say 4 months, and 3, does the $34.95 price include the first year of use or is that extra when I activate.
Thanks

M I Furst

@rr.com
Pensioner:

To the best of my knowledge;

1) You can continue to use your original Magic Jack with your originally assigned MJ phone number for as long as that device's subscription lasts. The new Magic Jack Plus can either be activated with a entirely new MJ phone number or with the same number assigned to your original Magic Jack, if you choose.

2) Although the clock starts ticking on your "Free 30-Day Trial" from the moment you order your Magic Jack Plus, I have seen no indication that there is a time limit on activating the device.

3) The $34.95 price (plus about $10 extra which includes the cost of shipping and a one-time telephony fee for a total of $44.96) does include the first twelve months of use, starting from the moment you place your order. During check out, you will be asked to pay an additional $100 to extend that subscription by another five years.

Now, to answer a question that you did not ask: My guess is that you would not be able to connect your original Magic Jack AND the new Magic Jack Plus at the same time to the USB ports of the same PC. However, I hope you would be able to keep your original MJ connected to the USB port of your PC and then connect the new Magic Jack Plus directly to your router.

I hope that helps.

MIF

pensioner
Premium
join:2005-02-20
Clarksville, TN

1 edit
MIF, appreciate the thoroughness of your response.
Thank you. Harris

EDIT - just ordered the MJ Plus

Ticked2

join:2011-12-11
Evanston, IL
reply to kemis
Did anyone actually get to the half-price offer? I used the link which sent me to my login. At that point all that was offered was a 30 trial period and a charge of $69 on the 31st day. Where is the 1/2 price item? Is this bait and switch? I've been waiting for a chat for 1 1/2 hours with no one on the 24-hour chat line available. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, how much is the extended 5 year plan?

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to M I Furst
Does anyone else think the email is just a touch cheesy? I actually wondered if it was a phishing scam... And I've seen this Plus device go for more differing prices than a whore in New Orleans.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
MJs advertising always looked like a bad used-car salesman's spiel to me. This e-mail is no different. I'd never have tried MJ in the first place if a customer hadn't demonstrated it to me before I saw the infomercials.

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
reply to Gork
The email has no opt-out option, and they appear to be sending it to every email any customer has ever used, whether or not they have a currently active account. (I let my account lapse over a year ago, and am getting the emails at 2 addresses, repeatedly on the more recent one.)

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to M I Furst
I am not an MJ customer, yet today I did receive a spam e-mail with such an offer directly from MJ.

Mindy Lou

@swri.edu
reply to FadedMagic
I love MJ too, but since my desktop crapped out, I haven't been using it. We all have cell phones in our family. But I miss having a house phone. I will probably buy the non-computer version.

I did want to comment about the company - they have every opportunity to improve the customer support and they choose not to. I've spent plenty of hours going through the 'script' with each layer of support and hated every minute of it.

You want to be a Fortune 500? Invest in a call center located here in the states. Load it with people who care and can speak the language. Maybe some intellegent teens or stay at home savy, out of work, work from home computer geeks.

bitstopjoe

join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA
Sadly when they do that you can kiss $20 a year renewal rate for the orig MJ good bye...
--
Joe Sica

Sparky15

join:2011-09-05
Mississauga, ON
I just wander what's the call quality between old MJ and MJ+. I did order the discounted MJ+, and have been using old MJ for year and half with no problems. There is a short delay when you talk, hopefully that is corrected in the new MJ+. I would appreciate if someone could compare these two units.
Thanks

Senior citiz

@nts-online.net
I switched from the original to the Plus. My Dish network receivers are now able to connect fairly consistently.

ipman

join:2010-08-31
San Jose, CA
reply to M I Furst
said by M I Furst :

Pensioner:

3) The $34.95 price (plus about $10 extra which includes the cost of shipping and a one-time telephony fee for a total of $44.96) does include the first twelve months of use, starting from the moment you place your order. During check out, you will be asked to pay an additional $100 to extend that subscription by another five years.

Could someone confirm that? That the subscription clock starts from the date of purchase? Regardless of the date of activation?

davelaw

join:2003-07-23
Guilford, CT
I activated my magicjack plus purchased at $34.95 promotion yesterday. The renew date is listed as Dec 19, 2012.

Dave

ipman

join:2010-08-31
San Jose, CA
Thanks. That makes more sense as, given the occasion, I believe a lot of these MJ+ were purchased as gifts.