Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Odaxis

join:2011-05-23

Free wifi router program form comcast scrapped

»www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/

Wireless Gateway Now Available

We are pleased to announce we will now offer our new XFINITY Internet customers the XFINITY Wireless Gateway — the next generation all-in-one wireless solution.

Effective 11/29/2011, we will no longer be providing our XFINITY Internet customers with our traditional wireless sidecar router.

The state of the art XFINITY Wireless Gateway includes an 802.11N router, a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and a voice adapter which allows multiple devices in the house to access the Internet at the same time. Customers experience reliably fast speeds when using tablets, smartphones, computers, and more to do all their favorite things online.

Eligibility:
New XFINITY Internet* customers
Existing XFINITY TV and/or XFINITY Voice customers who add XFINITY Internet*
*Must be Performance service or above (8 mbps or higher). Call 1-800-XFINITY with eligibility questions.

Economy level customers — want to go even faster?
Did you know that for just a few dollars more a month, you can upgrade to Performance for a better Internet experience? Stream videos, upload pictures, get the latest apps, and more at lightning-fast speeds.
»www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/···net.html

Interested in buying your own router?

To purchase a personal router for your house, customers should visit their local home networking store. Stores such as Best Buy, Target, and HH Gregg sell a wide variety of wireless routers to fit your needs. Additionally, customers can buy one online from many virtual retailers.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2

God help us all!

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Those SMC Wireless Gateway's are junk. I had 2 of them. And the Netgear router Comcast was providing are not the greatest anyway. For free they are okay, but you are better off buying a better one. I just purchased the Netgear WNDR4000 and it's great, no problems.

Stu Pidaso

join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

said by dubenezic:

Those SMC Wireless Gateway's are junk. I had 2 of them. And the Netgear router Comcast was providing are not the greatest anyway. For free they are okay, but you are better off buying a better one. I just purchased the Netgear WNDR4000 and it's great, no problems.

How are the Arris gateways they are providing?

leetoranges

join:2009-03-08
San Jose, CA
reply to Odaxis

Can someone explain to me what's so bad about the gateway? Like is the customization in the gateway's interface bad?
I currently am renting 2 modems and that one "free" netgear router from them as well. And i might want to switch to a all in one device if possible. Is it really that bad?

thatissick

join:2010-08-17
Atlanta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Broadban..

I agree. Those SMC gateways are complete POSs.

To leetoranges, when I signed up with comcast, asking only for internet and tv, and specifically mentioning I only wanted a modem, the install tech came with the SMC gateway, which was taller than a wii. I specifically mentioned I only wanted a modem, but he insisted on this device. After install was done and all, I found out that it was putting out a wifi signal that I could not control. There were very few options, and most importantly, I could not turn off the wifi. After many tries with customer service begging them to turn off wifi and to put it in bridge mode, I returned it the next day and bought my own modem.

I understand some people prefer an all-in-one option, but for crying out loud, don't make us call in everytime we need to change a setting Comcast.

kara

@comcast.net
reply to Odaxis

If you don't want the gateway then buy your own router do what you want its that easy lol. And those sidecar routers still belong to comcast free to use not own.

nikeherc

join:2004-09-30
Tucson, AZ
reply to Odaxis

A wireless range of 30 ft and a tendency to turn off the wireless after power failures or at random times. Whats not to love about it?

jumpinjustin

join:2011-05-09
Hazel Park, MI
reply to thatissick

They were hiding it from you. Under the ssid name you would type Timeout and the wireless radio shuts off.

thatissick

join:2010-08-17
Atlanta, GA

Well it doesnt matter. I bought a used sb6120 thru craigslist for ~50 bucks, hooked to my DIR825 and its still zippin' after three months.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

Typical comcast, not giving anything to loyal current customers.

KMZZenit

join:2011-10-02
united state

1 recommendation

Your not missing out on much. Those SMC all in one gateways are absolute garbage. Their wifi output is good for 1 small room.
Comcast should be embarrassed of such horrible equipment, not to mention its a huge device, no reason to be as large as it was.
Ethernet performance was bad on it too. Not to mention useless status LEDs.

Got it swapped for the excellent Arris TM722G EMTA, which allows me to continue to use my very good Netgear Open Source Router WNR3500L. The range of the 3500L is at least 5x that of the SMC and its 1/3 the size.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to leetoranges

said by leetoranges:

I currently am renting 2 modems and that one "free" netgear router from them as well.

If you have only one HSI cable modem and you're paying "rent" on a second EMTA device for voice service only, call them up and have the voice modem rental charges removed and issue a refund. The hardware is included in the digital voice service cost.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to JigglyWiggly

said by JigglyWiggly:

Typical comcast, not giving anything to loyal current customers.

Other then the service you are paying for? Your right...

Ill research your posts and see when you posted "Comcast, Not bad!! Great job giving out free wireless routers with CHSI! Way to take care of loyal customers!"
I have a feeling it doesnt exist.
Keep on trucking though.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"