spc
Search similar:

uniqs
da_guy2
join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON

da_guy2

[TekTalk] Considering TekTalk. Some Questions first

I'm considering TekTalk but I had some questions.

1) Any comment on call quality/reliability?

2) What VoIP Gateways will work or would you recommend?

3) If I don't get the Linksys 2102 from Teksavvy, where are the required settings documented? I don't mind setting things up I just need to know what to do.

4) From the time I make the call to Teksavvy, how long will it take to switch over? Do I need to wait till the end of the billing cycle if I'm already with Teksavvy for home phone?

5) Anything else I should know? LOL

Thanks,
David

Teknowiz
join:2010-06-21
Canada

Teknowiz

1) Have been using it for a month, quality is fine; as good as you can expect from VOIP as longs as you have proper QOS to dedicate the required bandwidth.

2) PAP2T seems to be popular choice and is what I am using

3) No documentations provided if you use your own ATA. You should be able to use the basic ATA pre configured settings with few minor changes and by searching the forums here.

4) Call Teksavvy to find out, most likely the change over will happen at end of current billing cycle.

5) Be prepared to be patient with any unexpected issue that might come up but once it is up and running and properly configured, it should be smooth. Make sure you have a good router with proper QOS support or a router that supports 3 rd party firmware with QOS support.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to da_guy2

Premium Member

to da_guy2
said by da_guy2:

1) Any comment on call quality/reliability?

Many users have reported that they need to powercycle their device every few days/weeks to restore service. I suggest you verify this has been fixed before you sign up.

There are also a few reports of no service in which a powercycle doesn't resolve the problem. »TekTalk:two weeks in still no service, no support

m.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

1 recommendation

resa1983

Premium Member

I've never needed to powercycle the ATA even once - I ordered the service 3 days after it became available.