how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JediSurfer

join:2010-06-08
united state

[DSL] compatible modem/router?

Can someone confirm for me that this new Linksys router/modem combo will work on the Frontier network?

»www.amazon.com/Linksys-X2000-Wir···8&sr=8-1

I am interested in replacing my old Verizon issued modem and I do not want to pay Frontier's exorbitant $7.00 monthly rental fees for a modem.

lymelizzard

join:2004-02-28
Robbinsville, NC

Most any modem will work. However with that said look at the modem in the link provided. You might just like it better and less scratch too.

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wireles···d_cp_e_1

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to JediSurfer

Anything that supports the ADSL standard will work with Frontier. In most of Frontier's areas now, they have PPPoE support which is all that is needed. Other areas use DHCP, and a good portion of their legacy areas use PPPoA. Every DSL modem I've seen supported those protocols.

FTRAnonyrep

join:2011-12-06
Deland, FL
reply to JediSurfer

Don't bother, there is no way to remove the modem fee, you will be charged it either way

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

FTRAnonyrep - I hate to tell you this but you can have the modem fee removed. If you do not have a Frontier modem they cannot charge you and will remove the fee.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I'd also hate to say it but apparently Frontier's also up to no good for those who attempt to use their own modems and bypass the rental fee: »Frontier Imposes Owned Modem Fee .

So I think you two are at am impass

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

said by Smith6612:

I'd also hate to say it but apparently Frontier's also up to no good for those who attempt to use their own modems and bypass the rental fee: »Frontier Imposes Owned Modem Fee .

So I think you two are at am impass

When I had my second DSL line installed a couple months ago they tried to charge me a modem rental fee. I called and it was removed. I receive a credit on my bill for that charge. But I will check my bill when I receive it next week. I'll let you all know what my bill shows.

FTRAnonyrep

join:2011-12-06
Deland, FL

I hate to tell you but I work there and we received an email recently that stated under absolutely no circumstances are we allowed to remove modem fees and that the ability to do so has been removed.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Duplicate post deleted by Hank.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to FTRAnonyrep

I understand that you work there and we certainly appreciate your presence. Are you here as a Frontier sanctioned representative that is authorized by the corporation to post here? Did the email originate from corporate or was it sent by a regional manager or officer of the company? If from corporate who was the individual and what is their position in the company?

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Per the company Social Media Policy, Frontier employees are not permitted to post anonymously on industry forums, but they are otherwise allowed to post and even assist customers presuming they declare their affiliation with the company, use their real name, are doing so with good constructive intentions (helping customers, furthering discussions, etc.), and are not releasing proprietary/confidential information.

That he/she is posting anonymously should be a red flag.
--
Transparency Disclosure and Disclaimer: I am a Frontier employee posting in my own personal capacity. The opinions and positions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Frontier.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Ben J:

Per the company Social Media Policy, Frontier employees are not permitted to post anonymously on industry forums, but they are otherwise allowed to post and even assist customers presuming they declare their affiliation with the company, use their real name, are doing so with good constructive intentions (helping customers, furthering discussions, etc.), and are not releasing proprietary/confidential information.

That he/she is posting anonymously should be a red flag.

Thank you. I would think clearing this matter up and easing the minds of Frontier customers would be considered furthering customer relations. It would also be beneficial to Frontier to clear the air on this matter so it can be laid to rest.

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN

I would agree, but it's unlikely that you'd find anyone on these forums that is authorized to speak. There would be better luck in Karl reaching out to the public relations folks for an official statement.

Now, if you want speculation, I would speculate that this is less of a money grab, and more that Frontier is is positioning its service into a model similar to say, AT&T, where they have to own/operate the RG to make the service work properly (e.g. U-verse Internet/Voice/etc.). Much like FIOS requires that we own the ONT, you can't buy it yourself. Things like QoS, high bitrate VoIP, Video services, Home Automation, deployment of intelligent external NIDs, etc. This would be a logical progression of such a rollout. Deter customers from providing their own equipment while offering new provider-owned equipment, then roll out new services behind it. The fee is then basically created to help offset the capital spend of having to provide and install every single one of their subscribers a new RG.
--
Transparency Disclosure and Disclaimer: I am a Frontier employee posting in my own personal capacity. The opinions and positions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Frontier.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Ben J:

I would agree, but it's unlikely that you'd find anyone on these forums that is authorized to speak. There would be better luck in Karl reaching out to the public relations folks for an official statement.

Now, if you want speculation, I would speculate that this is less of a money grab, and more that Frontier is is positioning its service into a model similar to say, AT&T, where they have to own/operate the RG to make the service work properly (e.g. U-verse Internet/Voice/etc.). Much like FIOS requires that we own the ONT, you can't buy it yourself. Things like QoS, high bitrate VoIP, Video services, Home Automation, deployment of intelligent external NIDs, etc. This would be a logical progression of such a rollout. Deter customers from providing their own equipment while offering new provider-owned equipment, then roll out new services behind it. The fee is then basically created to help offset the capital spend of having to provide and install every single one of their subscribers a new RG.

Wow - Let's not address the issue, but lets add a bit more fuel to the fire. Unbelievable!!

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN

I don't understand. Is it unbelievable that I, being neither a CSR nor a company spokesperson, don't know the reason behind the change? Or unbelievable that I, also being a Frontier customer interested in the issue (granted, with a potential bias), might speculate on a different reason for why it's being done?
--

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

said by Ben J:

I don't understand. Is it unbelievable that I, being neither a CSR nor a company spokesperson, don't know the reason behind the change? Or unbelievable that I, also being a Frontier customer interested in the issue (granted, with a potential bias), might speculate on a different reason for why it's being done?

As an employee of Frontier you should not be posting speculations here. Like it or not you represent the company. If you cannot address a situation then simply state you cannot and let it go at that. There is enough confusion placed on the Frontier customer base and enough speculation by non-Frontier employees. Just read a few of the threads in the forum, the customers don't need more speculation. They simply want to know what is Frontiers policy period. It would be beneficial if your company, as Cox Communications did, to not permit employees to post without being sanctioned by or being a member of the management team that can accurately address things that impact the customer base, express company policy, state what the company is attempting to do and how they intend to get there. It is shameful that Frontier has failed to step up and address these issues openly and honestly.

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN

Ah, I understand your sticking point now. The reality of the matter is, all companies have competitive interests to maintain that prevent disclosing certain information to the public, and that "public" often includes customers. Deployment plans, new product rollouts, capital expenditures, policy changes... these are all often strategic in nature. They may simply choose not to tell the public their intentions to prevent their competitors from knowing their plans, even if you have a specific person so sanctioned by management to speak. That is business. And yes, it's very frustrating at times. I offer my help where I can, where I can't I say I can't, where I'm grossly guessing I say I'm grossly guessing. Most people here value the input and opinions the various employees hanging around here provide, even if we don't always have all the answers. And you know you would miss us if we were gone.
--

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Frontier, in many areas, just recently purchased their only competition. In other areas there never was and remains no competition to Frontier as it is the only game in town. Therefore there are several things that are no longer strategic in nature because Frontier is a de facto monopoly, as are some other telco/communication providers. I think you will find that most individuals that post to this forum understand how business works. They also understand when an individual or company is trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Do they appreciate information on how their providers work, that is probably a yes. Would they miss Frontier employees posting speculation, probably not. Would they give Frontier an A plus for being creative in disguising unfair fees, probably yes. Would they give Frontier an A+ in trying to pull a fast one (if they could get away with it) probably yes. Would they give Frontier a D minus in the ability to communicate with their customer, a definite yes. Would they give Frontier a D minus at problem resolution, some would go lower and some would go higher, but probably not above a B minus. Have a good weekend and Merry Christmas.

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN

While I can't say I've ever been told my speculation is unwelcome before (first time for everything, I guess), I recognize and respect your point as valid.

Happy Christmas to you and your family as well, and I'll see what kind of trouble I might be able to stir up internally on some of those grades of yours.
--