All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ipman
join:2010-08-31
San Jose, CA

ipman

How is number porting with Magic Jack Plus?

I am thinking of buying MJ+ and porting my landline to Magic Jack Plus (beats porting number to cellphone then to google voice). How is the porting done? Can I use MJ+ with an assigned number for a few days before transferring my number or do I have to transfer it right off the bat?

MagicalPig
join:2008-07-25

MagicalPig

I do not know about MJ's porting policy but I will say this.

I love my MJ but I would NEVER use it to replace a land line unless the land line was never used. If you don't need the land line as a reliable line then you should be fine. However, if you use the land line on a regular basis I suggest doing more research.
Jeff Gilliam
join:2011-05-19

Jeff Gilliam to ipman

to ipman

Never do that.

I would also not recommend you to disconnect your land line phone. Majic Jack can never replace land line phone. Just google the problems with Magic Jack and you would realize how troublesome this service might be.
Nailgunner
join:2010-09-28

Nailgunner

said by Jeff Gilliam:

Majic Jack can never replace land line phone.

Total nonsense. I certainly wouldn't disconnect the land-line until you were sure that you were happy with your call quality. But especially if you don't make calls to people in rural areas there is nothing to fear IF it works good for you.

I disconnected my land-line a few weeks after I bought my MJ, and that was more than 2 years ago. I have not regretted it for a minute. At the same time I also dumped my expensive cell phone and went with a prepaid phone which I use as back-up in case my power goes out. Between the two, I'm saving about $80-$85 a month and am happy as a pig in slop.

MagicJack certainly isn't for everyone. But if you have decent internet service, don't call a lot of rural areas, and have an average knowledge of computers, I think it's borderline silly NOT to drop your land-line. You can use GoogleVoice to get around the blocked call issues (although my GoogleVoice has been acting up lately). If MJ just totally quits working for me, I will take my business to Obi or NetTalk. The only downside I would have would be in maybe having to get a new phone number when I switched services.
ipman
San Jose, CA

ipman to Jeff Gilliam

to Jeff Gilliam
I am talking about MJ+. Which does not require a PC to be running 24/7. I don't see why MJ+ cannot be used to replace landline. It may not be, and may never be, as reliable as a landline but if it fails, I still have my cell phone.

BTW, I don't think anyone had answered my question. Can I use MJ+ with an assigned number and a couple of weeks later port my landline over?
Nailgunner

Nailgunner

said by ipman:

BTW, I don't think anyone had answered my question. Can I use MJ+ with an assigned number and a couple of weeks later port my landline over?

Yes. And that's actually the sensible way to do it. Make sure that you are happy with the way it works and your call quality first. You can port your number any time you want, or not at all if it's not the system for you.
ipman
San Jose, CA

ipman

Re: How is number porting with Magic Jack Plus?

I just heard that there is an additional $10 annual fee for renewing a ported number? Is that true???

chris GH
@comcast.net

chris GH to Nailgunner

Anon

to Nailgunner

Re: Never do that.

Magic Jack Plus on the port phone number screen quickly checked my number and It said my century tel land line number was not available for transfer, try again later. searching internet to find other people who were either able to port or unable to port is a big waste of time. is everybody keeping whatever number they assign or are they being suppressed or are those people not able to port just returning the device? frustrating. they make it sould like it is probably portable for everyone but i doubt it seriously.
Nailgunner

Nailgunner

said by chris GH :

Magic Jack Plus on the port phone number screen quickly checked my number and It said my century tel land line number was not available for transfer, try again later. searching internet to find other people who were either able to port or unable to port is a big waste of time. is everybody keeping whatever number they assign or are they being suppressed or are those people not able to port just returning the device? frustrating. they make it sould like it is probably portable for everyone but i doubt it seriously.

Do a search in the attached forum link at the end of this post. There have been numerous chats regarding porting in there. I have not done it, but it was suggested that clicking on ANY service provider that ends up giving you an "available to transfer" message will work. I would find the relevant thread and either post in there or send a PM to the one who said it worked for him.

I don't know enough about the process but I think some of the issues may be with what company the number was originally assigned to and any previous portings? In any event, I don't think there is a risk of clicking on a company other than Century Tel since you should still have a working number on your old service until the port is successful. I think.

»magicjacksupport.com/
Henderson50
join:2005-01-16
Chicago, IL

Henderson50 to ipman

to ipman

Re: How is number porting with Magic Jack Plus?

quote:
I just heard that there is an additional $10 annual fee for renewing a ported number? Is that true???
I recently got MJ+ so I could get rid of my mostly unused landline, but wanted to retain the phone number. When I ported the number over, I got a message about a $19.95 charge to do so, and $9.95 each year after that.

I'm hoping they just worded things badly and meant you need to pay $9.95 for the service, and not $9.95 for the number + $9.95 for the service. It would be ludicrous if they have a yearly charge for keeping your old number since there is zero maintenance they need to do once it's been transferred. It's just a rip-off if they insist on that charge. When I posted on the MJ forums, people responded that you get 5 different answers from 5 different chat reps, so no one knows for sure at this point.

It ticks me off enough that if that charge comes in, I might opt to transfer the number to a cheap cell phone plan (top up $20 every 3 months from Virgin). I know it's biting my nose to spite my face at that point, since even paying MJ+ double still works out to $60 less per year than the cell phone, but it's a matter of principle, I think it's just a really shady arrangement to make that charge and I just refuse to support MJ if they do it.
Nailgunner

Nailgunner

said by Henderson50:

I'm hoping they just worded things badly and meant you need to pay $9.95 for the service, and not $9.95 for the number + $9.95 for the service. It would be ludicrous if they have a yearly charge for keeping your old number since there is zero maintenance they need to do once it's been transferred. It's just a rip-off if they insist on that charge. When I posted on the MJ forums, people responded that you get 5 different answers from 5 different chat reps, so no one knows for sure at this point.

It appears that the early confusion on the part of MJ has disappeared. All recent reports are that they do intend to charge an annual fee for the porting. The good news is that confusion and MJ go hand-in-hand, so maybe the confusion will return. I would be surprised if they have their billing set up to handle an annual service charge and porting charge in one billing. If not, I would pay the billing charge and ignore the annual porting charge next year and see what happens.

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

BUT.......... doesnt MJ have your CC# when you port?? If so they can charge you using that. I guess the way around it would to be to pay with a one time CC or via check..
Not having ever ported I am not sure exactly how one is charged for that inital service.
Nailgunner

Nailgunner

said by bitstopjoe:

BUT.......... doesnt MJ have your CC# when you port?? If so they can charge you using that. I guess the way around it would to be to pay with a one time CC or via check..
Not having ever ported I am not sure exactly how one is charged for that inital service.

I would make sure the auto-renew is off. That "should" prevent them from collecting anything up front. But then it is MJ.

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

1 edit

bitstopjoe

Goes without saying!! DAMN IT, too late, I said it
Henderson50
join:2005-01-16
Chicago, IL

Henderson50 to Nailgunner

to Nailgunner
said by Nailgunner:

If not, I would pay the billing charge and ignore the annual porting charge next year and see what happens.

I hope anyone who has tried this will report back what happens. What I'm guessing will happen if you pay only the service fee (whether it's $29.95 or whatever), is that you lose your assigned phone number, and once that happens, you won't be able to get it back even if you switch your service away from MJ (unless you make the switch prior to the renewal date).

At least that would be my fear, so it would seem the only safe course is either accept their unethical practice and pay them the blackmail of $9.95/year to keep your own number for which they do nothing, or switch the service prior to that point so you don't lose it.

TruthOut
@cox.net

TruthOut to Henderson50

Anon

to Henderson50
Henderson50,
I saw the "Porting fees" from the MJ+ "Product Description" on Amazon_customerÕs existing phone numbers can now be transferred or ÒportedÓ to their magicJackTM Plus. Please note that there is a $19.95 charge to transfer/port a phone number and itÕs $9.95 per year thereafter.

I truly agree w/ you, as you said, "It would be ludicrous if they have a yearly charge for keeping your old number since there is zero maintenance......".
That's another little sample of sinful Corp. greed.

Alltel
@charter.com

Alltel to ipman

Anon

to ipman
Got my number ported through magicjack and it was simple I just typed it in and selected the phone company I was using paid the twenty buck waited 4 days and it was done. I have had no problems with it at all, it is like we have the same phone service as before.