Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal to ArizonaSteve

Premium Member

to ArizonaSteve

Re: Formerly Unlimited (really) 3G card

Sorry Steve , you are the misinformed party here .Dib22 knows exactly what he is talking about !! The device is locked to a carrier . Millenicom is a reseller plain and simple, Not a carrier . Running a device be it through Sprint's or Verizon's Millenicom offerings is exactly the same as running a device through the carriers network as if you had purchased directly through the carrier performance wise.
said by ArizonaSteve:

dib22, you don't know what you are talking about and shouldn't be making false statements. All the devices are DEFINITELY LOCKED just like cell phones are locked and there is no way to make the device recognize that it should be working on Millenicom unless it gets re-programmed.
Not only are they locked but they contain flash memory like a thumb drive that has drivers for the device on their specific network. If you haven't noticed, they load drivers and the connection manager to make them work when plugged in. That all needs to be replaced to make them work with a different ISP.

suceress
join:2008-04-04

suceress to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve
I can confirm from my registration process that the modem software had nothing to do with Millenicom. I had to connect to a sprint network and it had to update and the sprint software on the computer.

Just think of Millenicom as Toys R Us and Sprint/Verizon as Mattel. Mattel makes the toys and sells them to Toys R Us who then turns around and sells the toys to the consumers. If there are defects in the toys, it is because of Mattel, not Toys R Us.

Ok, that wasn't a very good example..

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

dib22, you don't know what you are talking about and shouldn't be making false statements. All the devices are DEFINITELY LOCKED just like cell phones are locked and there is no way to make the device recognize that it should be working on Millenicom unless it gets re-programmed.
Not only are they locked but they contain flash memory like a thumb drive that has drivers for the device on their specific network. If you haven't noticed, they load drivers and the connection manager to make them work when plugged in. That all needs to be replaced to make them work with a different ISP.

On GSM networks the phones are locked devices... that is they are 'programmed' to only use the carrier they were sold by. If you want to use a phone/device you bought from att on tmobile you would need to 'unlock' the device by modification of it's software.

On CDMA networks in the USA the devices are technically unlocked... you could technically use a sprint phone/modem on verizon or vice versa (assuming a modern device that support both 800/1900) with out changing any software on the phone/devices... BUT verizon and sprint maintain a database of allowed ESN/MEID (serial numbers).

For example look at a Virgin Mobile USA phone... it is a cdma phone, it even runs on the sprint network, but you will never be able to activate it on a sprint account... not because of the phone, but because sprint's database knows that that ESN/MEID (serial number) was sold as a virgin mobile phone and it won't allow it.

For proof look at cricket... they will activate sprint and verizon phones on their network without modification of software. If the network (more specifically the carriers esn database) will allow the serial number then the device will work.

I'm sorry you feel like I don't know what I am talking about... but I assure you I do
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Would be nice of the fountain of misinformation came back and gave you a well deserved apology.
said by dib22:

said by ArizonaSteve:

On GSM networks the phones are locked devices... that is they are 'programmed' to only use the carrier they were sold by. If you want to use a phone/device you bought from att on tmobile you would need to 'unlock' the device by modification of it's software.

On CDMA networks in the USA the devices are technically unlocked... you could technically use a sprint phone/modem on verizon or vice versa (assuming a modern device that support both 800/1900) with out changing any software on the phone/devices... BUT verizon and sprint maintain a database of allowed ESN/MEID (serial numbers).

For example look at a Virgin Mobile USA phone... it is a cdma phone, it even runs on the sprint network, but you will never be able to activate it on a sprint account... not because of the phone, but because sprint's database knows that that ESN/MEID (serial number) was sold as a virgin mobile phone and it won't allow it.

For proof look at cricket... they will activate sprint and verizon phones on their network without modification of software. If the network (more specifically the carriers esn database) will allow the serial number then the device will work.

I'm sorry you feel like I don't know what I am talking about... but I assure you I do