uniqs
share rss forum feed

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Duh

You don't need a study to confirm this. Anyone with basic reasoning skills can see that a combination of low caps, high speeds and overage charges are just another revenue stream for an ISP. There's no financial incentive to upgrade network infrastructure if your existing structure can earn you tons of money in overage charges.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
Of course. But this is good as it is using real data to counter the claims of the ISP's an doesn't use the same mythical data the ISP's use. Poking holes in fiction with real numbers is always fun.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pnh102
Since so few people hit the caps currently, I don't think it's good as an immediate source of income. I'd guess it's more to save on current infrastructure costs that would be needed for future growth.

I suppose it's possible that slowing progress in wired connections makes wireless more attractive, which can charge more for. Investments in lobbying and buying out wireless competitors seems like a better use of funds than going into FTTH and better backbone.

ddd

@mskcc.org
These limits may not be reached now, but they will be soon by more and more people as tech. advances.