join:2002-05-19

Re: If the 'Bandwidth Hog is a Myth'

said by elray:

Then caps are of no consequence.

Logic fail.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
I disagree. Caps do have a consequence. There's always a cause and effect. I believe what the article and Karl are trying to state is that caps are being used for reasons that cannot be substantiated by facts. Rather than targeting the "Bandwidth Hog", the facts conclude that caps simply target those who transfer a lot of data in a given time period and that the correlation between "a lot of data per month" and "peak bandwidth usage" (aka the bandwidth hog) is weak.

Based on these conclusions, either the ISPs are clueless as to managing their network or they employ caps for different reasons. Those reasons could be to control total data transferred in an effort to make the service unattractive for uses that require a lot of data to be transferred. One possible service is video. To put another way, streaming DVD-quality H.264 video doesn't use too much bandwidth (~1.5Mbps-2Mbps) but with caps, over time it transfers too much data.

DataRiker
Premium

1 recommendation

Carriers have realized that Forced Artificial Scarcity is a very large potential revenue source.

In a totally open market they would simply be competed out of existence, but since special interests and government keep a largely Duopoly / Monopoly market under the corporate mindset of financial growth or die , we the consumer are Fucked.

America is on the fast track to last in Tech/Communications, public transportation, health care, and job prospects. A wealthy nation squandered by Corporate special interests and their strangle hold over State and Federal government.

Look at this site, it is regularly trolled by Corporate shills who try to tell us why we should accept shitty rates and even shittier service.

A real Mind Fuck isn't it?

anotherlie

@k12.ca.us

just like oil...
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
said by DataRiker:

Carriers have realized that Forced Artificial Scarcity is a very large potential revenue source.

In a totally open market they would simply be competed out of existence, but since special interests and government keep a largely Duopoly / Monopoly market under the corporate mindset of financial growth or die , we the consumer are Fucked.

Huh? How are special interests and government keeping the market as a duopoly?
There is no legal barrier to entry for an overbuilder to compete for the last-mile as a second or third player.

said by DataRiker:

America is on the fast track to last in Tech/Communications, public transportation, health care, and job prospects. A wealthy nation squandered by Corporate special interests and their strangle hold over State and Federal government.

We're not "last" by any means in Tech/Communications. Most of today's offerings are an order of magnitude better than they were a decade ago, price/performance-wise. That's phenomenal progress.

Public transportation suffers precisely because its public, and has no incentive to be efficient. Our healthcare system is overpriced thanks to government mandates and regulation, but remains the envy of the free world.
talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

said by elray:

Huh? How are special interests and government keeping the market as a duopoly?
There is no legal barrier to entry for an overbuilder to compete for the last-mile as a second or third player.

I think county and statewide franchise agreements could be impacting deployment of competing cable / DSL systems.

DataRiker
Premium
said by elray:

Public transportation suffers precisely because its public, and has no incentive to be efficient. Our healthcare system is overpriced thanks to government mandates and regulation, but remains the envy of the free world.

By incentive you mean corporate lobbyist.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by elray:

Sure they are. My cap is 250 GB thus the cap is causing me to not be able to use more than 250 GB. Just because I'm using 250 GB or even 1 TB does not make me a "hog"
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by 88615298:

said by elray:

Sure they are. My cap is 250 GB thus the cap is causing me to not be able to use more than 250 GB. Just because I'm using 250 GB or even 1 TB does not make me a "hog"

If you're consuming 250GB personally, in a world where the average household consumes less than 1/10th that amount*, indeed, you're a "hog" by definition. I'm not suggesting you should be punished for that, but nor should you expect the average and below-average subscriber to subsidize your habits.

(* Per Cisco VNI study 2010.)

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by elray:

said by 88615298:

said by elray:

If you're consuming 250GB personally, in a world where the average household consumes less than 1/10th that amount*, indeed, you're a "hog" by definition. I'm not suggesting you should be punished for that, but nor should you expect the average and below-average subscriber to subsidize your habits.

(* Per Cisco VNI study 2010.)

They aren't subsidizing anything. I suggest you educate yourself how ISPs actually get charged for bandwidth. I could max out my 30 Meg connection from 1 AM -6 AM every day. That's 2 TBs a month. And guess what it will be at NO ADDITIONAL COST to the ISP or it's other customers. As I said if you understood how ISPs are actually charged you understand that.
shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Of course there's a consequence. If I had data caps, rather than setting some items to download and forgetting about them, I'd only download a little bit, always during peak hours (because that's when it's convenient for me to just click something and grab it) and I'd continue my peak hours surfing.

That means I will use the internet slightly MORE during the times there is congestion. Which means the consequence is that caps will make things worse for the ISP. Or, if I were forced into a ridiculously low cap, I'd only surf, which happens during peak hours. Therefore the results of an ever increasing cap would be to continue the exact same congestion problem you have.

In other words, caps are instead either causing congestion, or they are doing nothing to combat it. They do reduce the consumption, but they do not solve any of the actual problems.

Anon y mous

@verizon.net
Yes the bandwidth hog is a myth. It does not mean a data hog is also a myth. But thats not to say a data hog should be penalized to attempt to correct for a bandwidth problem.