uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

[Troubleshooting] Network Extender

I am trying to troubleshot a problem I am constantly having with my extender.

I have four phones total in this house that (try to) connect to this thing on a daily basis. The four phone numbers are on the "white list" as Verizon calls it.

Problem is, half the time in order for any one of these four phones to connect, we have to turn them off, pull battery, etc. and then turn them back on to get them to connect.
We don't have to do it all the time, but its enough times that it is getting old. We are always way within 10 feet of the box, which is what it says to do in order to get connected.

There has been times I come home, set the phone on the same table as the extender, and it wont connect even after half an hour of sitting there. But I will have full scale on the signal making it appear I am connected. Try to make a call or do the #48 and I get no where. I have to turn off the phone completely, then back on. Not even turning off the radio, and then back on will allow it to connect. The phone has to be turned off completely (or battery pull)

I was starting to think it may be an app. I have installed doing this...but we are talking four completely different phones being effected. And one phone has no data tied into it...strictly a phone only.

Has anyone else had this problem, if even a few times?
And if so, were you able to track down what was going on?

Thanks
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Save yourself some headaches and give VZW a call. When you call in, and put your phone number in, the phone system will figure out you have a network extender and give you a specific prompt for support for it.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
said by ke4pym:

Save yourself some headaches and give VZW a call. When you call in, and put your phone number in, the phone system will figure out you have a network extender and give you a specific prompt for support for it.

I did call them later this evening. They want me to ship it back, then they will credit my acct. and then I have to order another one. They said they will send a return shipping label.

Sounds like a freaking headache to me. In the meantime we will not have cell service at the house.
I have some decisions to make now.
--

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1
How is your signal outside your home . Perhaps a wireless cellular amplifier system will work for you . They will also do multiple carriers . Not just Verizon as a femtocell - Network extender does
--
www.MaximumSignal.Net

heimdm

join:2008-06-22
Martinsville, IN
I have a gen 1 network extender and got annoyed with it and ended up doing building amplifier. It works for the most part. Crimping N-connector ends is something I hope I never have to do again in my life.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to Max Signal
said by Max Signal:

How is your signal outside your home . Perhaps a wireless cellular amplifier system will work for you . They will also do multiple carriers . Not just Verizon as a femtocell - Network extender does

In the winter I can get two bars outside, sometimes one. During the summer it is pretty much useless...and we are in the red on their coverage map.
I suppose I will try a new one and see how that goes. Just hope it isn't a refurbished one. If it ends up being the same problem over time, I may just hang it up on cell phones and go back to a land line for the house.
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
reply to heimdm
said by heimdm:

I have a gen 1 network extender and got annoyed with it and ended up doing building amplifier. It works for the most part. Crimping N-connector ends is something I hope I never have to do again in my life.

Were you having the same issue I'm having getting connected?
Once I can get connected mine works great. Just getting it connected is the problem (so far).
--

heimdm

join:2008-06-22
Martinsville, IN
Sometimes it would have issues getting the phone to sync with it. Other times the audio quality would be less than ideal. It was kind of a bandwidth hog since it creates and IPSEC tunnel and send all the data in there.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
said by heimdm:

Sometimes it would have issues getting the phone to sync with it. Other times the audio quality would be less than ideal. It was kind of a bandwidth hog since it creates and IPSEC tunnel and send all the data in there.

Interesting...I can relate to all you mentioned. My audio sometimes does sound strange...meaning strange noises in the background while in a call.

I still wonder if one of the apps I have is causing this not to connect. One of the phones in the house is an old flip phone, and nothing but a phone, and although it has been hard to get it to connect a few times, it has the best track record for connecting within seconds, compared to the "smart" phones.

Thanks for the info!
--