how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

countscabula

join:2010-03-09
reply to joereidcpa

Re: [General] How AT&T's data cap implementation screws the cust

You sir have very little idea what you are talking about despite the little information you got from your friend. Keep your ridiculousness in the west coast blogs. $215 is too much to pay? We might as well close the doors now.

joereidcpa

join:2011-12-31
Santa Clara, CA

said by countscabula:

You sir have very little idea what you are talking about despite the little information you got from your friend. Keep your ridiculousness in the west coast blogs. $215 is too much to pay? We might as well close the doors now.

You sir are aparently uninformed. Uverse was supposed to be an infrsastructure improvement to the physical plant until fiber to all premises (commercial or residential) could be implemented in 2012 to be on par with verizons fios implementation. Of course UVERSE did not go on schedule - nowhere to it. Their advertising was delayed a year from implementation.

Had you read carefully you would note that I admit to being in that top 2%. The fact that AT&T created a variable cost service out of a fixed cost promise is my issue with them. They could have sold it to me as a 50 Mbps, $500/mo data package with 128 IPs and I would have been happy paying a FIXED fee for service. I have datacenter accounts with private microwave on the roof tied to some buiildings as a backup highspeed net.

Had AT&T kept to schedule this year I'd have fiber to several demarcation points. Uverse is so late in arriving to silicon valley that the original planned stopgap from 2009 to 2012 with an upgrade to fiber then is not going to happen for at least 2 years.

Alas, at&t had difficulty installing uverse and getting customers off T1 lines for $300/mo and cisco routers to inverse mux them for 3 or 6 mbps symetric bandwidth.

Knowing that uverse was only meant as a stopgap measure that was planned to be replaced later with fiber distribution hardware inside the cabinet is all that kept us on track, combined with the length of fiber left coiled on the pole above the cabinet if we ever do want to route it into our corporate offices, upgrade our microwave link speed to 250Mbps+, and then route our traffic all through our corporate offices.

If you read the VRAD install book you can see the upgrade path to a fiber distribution hub from OC192 to OC3 making a fios system possible. It's quite simple with all provisions made inside the cabinet to distribute uverse or fios. Inform yourself of at&t's plans - and not from the salesdroid that hooked you up.

countscabula

join:2010-03-09

Of course all I know is what's going on in the Southeast which is where I post. OC192 and OC3 are SONET signal levels, VRADs are feed by a GigE fiber which has the capability to be 2.5G down and 1G back to the source in the CO. Are you looking at Alcatel documentation or some other vendors documentation. Post it up so I can explain it to you. When I need to land a plane I'll call you