spc
Search similar:

uniqs

evilturk
@largnet.on.ca

evilturk

Anon

D3 modem: what and where to buy?

Hello. I am thinking about upgrading my service, but I will have to upgrade my modem. I currently own my old BitSurfer and I was wondering if I was to buy a new D3 modem, which is the best one to use with Rogers? Where can I find one?

From what I can tell, the $199 modem you get from Rogers is crap and over priced. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance!
EvilTurk

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc

said by evilturk :

Hello. I am thinking about upgrading my service, but I will have to upgrade my modem. I currently own my old BitSurfer and I was wondering if I was to buy a new D3 modem, which is the best one to use with Rogers? Where can I find one?

You can find several modems at places like Canada Computers or online. Good models seem to be the Motorola 6121 and Thomson 475.

The problem with buying your own modem though is that Rogers may or may not provision it on their network. So you may not be able to get it to work with Rogers.

From what I can tell, the $199 modem you get from Rogers is crap and over priced.

The Cisco DPC3825 is a decent modem/router. However there is talk about how Rogers techs have a superuser account where they can literally access the modem and router funtions, and even see all traffic on the modem including INSIDE your LAN behind the router on your own network. If you're paranoid, you will want to run their modem in bridged mode only and use your own router.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

The DPC3825 is a perfectly good modem in bridged mode. Given the hassle you'll get in having anything else provisioned and the fact that the DPC3825 supports 8 channels, you're really best to just go with that, have them flip it to bridged, and then attach your own router.
xero9
join:2001-11-29
Ajax, ON

xero9 to evilturk

to evilturk
Has anyone been able to get them to activate a 475? My family is having some serious issues with Rogers (is down for hours at a time, and packet loss when it is running). They tested the line but seem to think a new modem is the only solution. They're still running a Toshiba PCX2500 or PCX2600 which was purchased from Rogers a long time ago. Getting the Thompson one from Canada Computers seems like the best deal, but not if they won't provision it..

Arthur Winsl
@rogers.com

Arthur Winsl to bfksc

Anon

to bfksc
bkfsc, there is absolutely nothing in the 3825 firmware that will allow Rogers technicians to view the packet traffic going on behind your LAN. It would make no sense to have such an option. Rest assured the gigabytes worth of adult manga you're transferring from your workstation to your nas will go unnoticed.

The only way to query any remote data from your modem is via snmp which EVERY DOCSIS compliant modem can do. An example of the data queried would be system up time, signal levels, current firmware revision, mac address of devices connected to the modem, system errors, etc.

If Rogers customers are uncomfortable about the SMC D3GN then the 3825 is a great choice and is much more stable than the SMC.