spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky

[Voip.ms] VoIP.ms Outage?

Both of my PAP2Ts are offline (different locations and different ISPs), and I can't get to the VoIP.ms customer portal. Anyone know what's going on?
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe

You're not the only one. Their website is down and seems like their entire fucking network fell off the face of the earth!??
dicodread
join:2008-11-16
barbados

dicodread to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
I am off as well.
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
I was able to log into the portal but its slow.
dicodread
join:2008-11-16
barbados

dicodread to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
Aaaand I am back.
That was a very long 2 mins
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky

And I'm back too. Apparently there was an issue with an upgrade to the New York server, but I don't think that explains the customer portal issue.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
strange i didn't get an outage at all nothing in the asterisk log file ..and was on the phone the last hour.

im in Ontario Canada using server montreal.voip.ms
hockeynomad
join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

hockeynomad to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
I have nothing now. Was using phone at 5 EST.

Funny thing is all the lights are lit on the ATA. reboot of ata changed nothing.

And I also have termination calling account with Callcentric, and out calls are all fast busy signal
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to DoctorStinky

Premium Member

to DoctorStinky
The Voip.MS issue tracker posted:

December 1, 2011, 4:26 pm

There was a brief moment when our equipent in New York was unreachable.

We're still investigating the cause of this interruption with our provider.

Service has been restored and is 100% operational again.

Estimated time of outage is 15 minutes @ 15:45 (3:45)

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

And----maybe folks could not get to the homepage because too many people were trying to log on at once.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to DoctorStinky

Premium Member

to DoctorStinky
Glad to hear you guys are back up. FTR, I checked my logs and we don't appear to have had any issues on Seattle.
A_VoIPer7
join:2009-11-04

1 edit

1 recommendation

A_VoIPer7 to dicodread

to dicodread
said by dicodread:

That was a very long 2 mins

Sadly, I was inconvenienced by this outage, but certainly not a major inconvenience. For me, it was more like 30 minutes vs. the 15 minutes mentioned on the portal:
quote:
Estimated time of outage is 15 minutes @ 15:45 EDT.
My logs shows that the New York server registrations were failing between 15:39:27-16:10:15 ET (note, my smokeping probes showed no issue).

I needed to make a call at 4PM ET and unbeknownst to me, my ATA registrations had been failing for the last 20 minutes. I think this is a prime example for when a DNS SRV record with failover servers would've been ideal. While I was using an alternative method to make my call, I began troubleshooting the issue and when I saw the failed connections, I reconfigured my ATA to use the Atlanta server and that worked fine, but it would've been better if that happened automatically.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by A_VoIPer7:

quote:
Estimated time of outage is 15 minutes @ 15:45 EDT.

I assume that the company meant EST (eastern standard time) rather than EDT (eastern daylight time), as we are no longer on daylight saving time.
said by A_VoIPer7:

I reconfigured my ATA to use the Atlanta server and that worked fine, but it would've been better if that happened automatically.

I guess that's one downside of having geoscattered servers....

As for my own Voip.MS use, I long ago decided to use Atlanta or Houston, rather than New York, and it's been OK.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

No it's not. It's a downside of not using DNS SRV. It doesn't matter if your servers are in different countries or right beside each other; if there's no DNS SRV record, ain't nothin' gonna be failin' over

I set up DNS SRV records on my own DNS server, and use the API to change my DID to another PoP. Most customers probably don't run their own DNS server though, so that is not a perfect solution.

m.
Mango

Mango

Premium Member

Actually, now that I think about it, if you used a Tomato router, you could insert this in Dnsmasq Custom Configuration (Advanced>>DHCP/DNS)

srv-host=_sip._udp.MySRVRecord,losangeles.voip.ms,5060,10
srv-host=_sip._udp.MySRVRecord,seattle.voip.ms,5060,20

The downside is your equipment would only work if it was behind that router, and that would only fail over for outgoing calls, not incoming.

m.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
said by Mango:

said by PX Eliezer704:

No it's not. - It's a downside of not using DNS SRV.

It doesn't matter if your servers are in different countries or right beside each other; if there's no DNS SRV record, ain't nothin' gonna be failin' over

I set up DNS SRV records on my own DNS server, and use the API to change my DID to another PoP. Most customers probably don't run their own DNS server though, so that is not a perfect solution.

IIRC, is that not the method used by Callcentric ?

I think that there were parameters resembling that one to set on my ATA for them.
hockeynomad
join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

hockeynomad to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
so really which are the most reliable servers and how does one really select, by fastest ping rates?

Toronto2 is my server
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by hockeynomad:

so really which are the most reliable servers and how does one really select, by fastest ping rates?

Ping only tells you which server is electronically closer to you (which is often different from geographically closer). Not that that matters anyway to any significant extent.

It is not related to reliability.
CurtC
Premium Member
join:2003-03-20
Chelsea, MI

CurtC to hockeynomad

Premium Member

to hockeynomad
The chicago server is by far the best ping for me, but they do seem to have a fair amount of trouble with it. I've been down perhaps 2 hours over the last year. A couple times during work hours when I have had to manually switch to another server, and that was a PITA, but voip.ms is still the best thing out there price wise for me.
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to hockeynomad

to hockeynomad
toronto.voip.ms and toronto2.voip.ms have the same ip and also i get a lot of packet loss from the Toronto server(s)

montreal.voip.ms seems to be the best so far for me i haven't had a single packet loss in days

I am in the Niagara region.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to A_VoIPer7

Premium Member

to A_VoIPer7
Thanks guys for all the feedback and sorry for the downtime. We're closely working with Digium consultants, in-house SER Programmers and our providers to reach a better uptime.

We have passionate programmers hard at work to ensure that all servers can provide a great telephony experience to our users. Damn that sounded cliché, but really we really do care and we do get really pissed off when something goes down, and we are a bunch of passionate geeks working all the time on those servers every time something happens to eliminate those rare server quirks. We are currently sand combing every line of code out of thousands to find the culprits and we're getting there.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Thanks for the update Martin.

We know that you guys are passionate about VoIP.

My wife used to be a software engineer (full fledged ACM-SIGSOFT member) and I used to read her books and journals all the time. It surely is hard to chase down one or two lines of code out of not just thousands, but millions....
vtecchump
join:2011-12-08
Richmond Hill, ON

vtecchump to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
My voipms DIDs have been down for 1.5 days now. Toronto area DIDs. Can anyone offer any advice on what to do?

The whole day today was hit or miss with dialing into my DIDs. This is hurting business substantially. Can anyone offer any advice?

I've tried forwarding the number using the portal but it is still hit or miss with audio not going through.
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

try the Montreal server its working perfect for me
montreal.voip.ms
vtecchump
Richmond Hill, ON

vtecchump

Are your DIDs toronto area code?
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
I'm bailing off voip.ms

Fuck it.

Costs are going up substantially in doing so, but I can no longer deal with this when being used in a business situation.

If you're doing casual VOIP, great. But for the love of crap don't use it for business.

Since minute one we've had problems. Asterisk, trixbox, softphones, ATAs... DSL, Cable, Fiber... Every server imaginable... Every hardware imaginable... Same shit.

Test after test on hardware, connections, jitter, loss, scores, hardware, timing, buffers, codecs, you name it. Funny how I can trunk 10 PBXs together over the internet with various connection types, and have ZERO issues but the second it goes into voip.ms it turns to dogshit. 50% of our calls are to other PBXs that we own, the the other 50% go out to voip.ms... Zero problems internally over the same connections as we go to voip.ms... No maintenance or adjustments to our inter-office trunks and they work perfectly. Endless adjustments to our voip.ms trunks and makes zero difference.

Calls drop
Audio sucks
Random stupid problems
-Progress codes sent wrong (Number disconnected code instead of busy line codes)
-CID constantly fucking up in every way possible
-DTMF problems in every way possible
-CROSSTALK! Yes CROSSTALK ON VOIP! (Remember a couple months back the prefab house company crosstalking over calls.. WTF!)
-Calls being sent to wrong DIDs
-Calls being sent to backup locations when the primary is working fine
-Constant server dancing because of one or another having problems

Top it all off with customer service that makes requests that are impossible to do in a business environment (Hook up a softphone and test for a day... Yeah OK sure in a 30 desk office you go right ahead and do that)

As I said, good for a hobby, garbage for a business.

I've tried some other VOIP providers and have some small issues but nothing to the extent of here. I believe the problem lies with the original carrier for my DIDs (ISP Telecom) but that should be well known by voip.ms and they should be 1) Kicking them in the ass 2) Not wasting my time with stupid troubleshooting when they know it's those guys.
rudeboy24
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to vtecchump

to vtecchump
yes kinda im in Niagara. it doesn't matter witch server you use.
all you have to do is change your DID's Point of Presence. to the server you register to then incoming calls should work fine.

i haven't even had a single loss of connection to the Montreal server in days, maybe more.
vtecchump
Richmond Hill, ON

vtecchump to voxframe

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

I'm bailing off voip.ms

Fuck it.

Costs are going up substantially in doing so, but I can no longer deal with this when being used in a business situation.

If you're doing casual VOIP, great. But for the love of crap don't use it for business.

Since minute one we've had problems. Asterisk, trixbox, softphones, ATAs... DSL, Cable, Fiber... Every server imaginable... Every hardware imaginable... Same shit.

Test after test on hardware, connections, jitter, loss, scores, hardware, timing, buffers, codecs, you name it. Funny how I can trunk 10 PBXs together over the internet with various connection types, and have ZERO issues but the second it goes into voip.ms it turns to dogshit. 50% of our calls are to other PBXs that we own, the the other 50% go out to voip.ms... Zero problems internally over the same connections as we go to voip.ms... No maintenance or adjustments to our inter-office trunks and they work perfectly. Endless adjustments to our voip.ms trunks and makes zero difference.

Calls drop
Audio sucks
Random stupid problems
-Progress codes sent wrong (Number disconnected code instead of busy line codes)
-CID constantly fucking up in every way possible
-DTMF problems in every way possible
-CROSSTALK! Yes CROSSTALK ON VOIP! (Remember a couple months back the prefab house company crosstalking over calls.. WTF!)
-Calls being sent to wrong DIDs
-Calls being sent to backup locations when the primary is working fine
-Constant server dancing because of one or another having problems

Top it all off with customer service that makes requests that are impossible to do in a business environment (Hook up a softphone and test for a day... Yeah OK sure in a 30 desk office you go right ahead and do that)

As I said, good for a hobby, garbage for a business.

I've tried some other VOIP providers and have some small issues but nothing to the extent of here. I believe the problem lies with the original carrier for my DIDs (ISP Telecom) but that should be well known by voip.ms and they should be 1) Kicking them in the ass 2) Not wasting my time with stupid troubleshooting when they know it's those guys.

Are your DIDs from Toronto as well? They have to know how it is hurting business but they refuse to take drastic measures to provide service during business hours. All i want them to do is to forward the DIDs to my backup DIDs but they refuse to.
vtecchump

vtecchump to rudeboy24

to rudeboy24
said by rudeboy24:

yes kinda im in Niagara. it doesn't matter witch server you use.
all you have to do is change your DID's Point of Presence. to the server you register to then incoming calls should work fine.

i haven't even had a single loss of connection to the Montreal server in days, maybe more.

I dont think changing servers would change anything. I tried anyways and it didnt change a thing. 1.5 days of business down the drain. Not to mention the DEC 2 outage.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
We'll analyze and provide a profesionnal explanation and what we intend to do with our current CLEC once they provide their RFO. It's their first major outage in years, so I will not provide replies to overreactions at this time.

Meanwhile feel free to post headless chicken posts.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango to vtecchump

Premium Member

to vtecchump
said by vtecchump:

All i want them to do is to forward the DIDs to my backup DIDs but they refuse to.

I bet it's not that they refuse to, but since this is a carrier issue, they can't. Not that this makes your problem okay, but I just wanted to explain why they're not just going ahead and forwarding your numbers for you.

m.