spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ViRGEdx

join:2002-10-25

[Rant] Are Billing And Provisioning Not Integrated?

I had always assumed that Comcast's billing and provisioning systems were at least marginally integrated, but after today I'm wondering if that's the case.

Back in October of 2010 I replaced my old SB4200 (owned) with a SB6120 (also owned). I used the online provisioning system to activate it, and after the firmware updates went through all was well. I've been humming right along on Blast ever since.

However I've now received a letter and phone call from Comcast alerting me to the fact that my modem was old and may not support the latest features. Clearly Comcast still had me on file as using the SB4200 (and is looking to get pre-DOCSIS 3 devices off of their network), even though they provisioned the SB6120 a year ago.

I've since contacted Comcast via support chat, and they had to go to the provisioning department and the billing department to get this sorted out, including having the billing department use a different rate code for a DOCSIS 3 device. As far as I know things are sorted now, but if not I imagine I'll hear from Comcast again soon.

Anyhow, this seems to be a clear case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. What's the point of the online provisioning system if Comcast still has to manually update everything in the end? It seems like a waste for everyone that this couldn't be automatically updated.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Until Comcast can get the on-line provisioning to work properly, it should just give you instructions on the information you need to call and have it provisioned manually. Seems to be MUCH more reliable.