uniqs

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Long Island

DownLow

Premium Member

Wireless Network Printing Security Issue?

Hey, hope someone can point me in the right direction on the topic of risks associated with a printer that is connected to my network via wi-fi.

Got a new HP printer that is now connected to my secured home wi-fi. Seems that the device is clearly discoverable via the 2 iMacs in the house - so it's broadcasting something. What should I do to ensure that we are "secured" - I'm not even sure what damage someone could do if they were able to connect to the printer from outside my network.

Thoughts, insights, reference sources I should read?

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Well there is this rather long recent thread in the Security forum that you may find of interest...

»"Millions of printers open to devastating hack attack"

With that said as long as your connected to a secured WiFi home LAN and using strong encryption, ie. WPA2 for example, with a long key I would not lose sleep over your iMacs being able to see the network printer. Why would you not want authorized users and computers on your home LAN to see and print on the printer? IMHO the key is controlling access to your wireless network...

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· ity.html

FWIW I have a wireless HP printer on my home LAN and don't evern thing about it unless of course it does not do what I want it to do...

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· eLan.png
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

PrntRhd to DownLow

Premium Member

to DownLow
I agree,
"Seeing" a device on a local network is different than being able to Modify it's functionality via the remote interface and take total control of it.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to DownLow

MVM

to DownLow
said by DownLow:

Seems that the device is clearly discoverable via the 2 iMacs in the house - so it's broadcasting something. What should I do to ensure that we are "secured"

Step 1) Turn it off when not in use.

Step 2) secure it from physical tampering, ie. the "you touch this without my permission, you die" rule.

My 00000010bits.

Regards