how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hhahn

join:2011-06-25
Marlton, NJ

2 edits

[Rant] Why is Comcast blatantly LYING again in advertising?

While reviewing my bill for November, I noticed that the bent crooks at Comcast are going to increase the "non-recurring" mandatory modem rental fee from $5 to $7. They're bastards for this, but I digress. This prompted me to go to »business.comcast.com/eq to read more about the increase, where I noticed in writing:

Comcast provides fast Internet service, with speeds to fit your unique business needs. According to PC Mag, Comcast Business Class is the fastest Internet provider in the nation.

And it's not just on that page they represent their service as being the fastest. On the front Business Class Internet page, they claim:

Fastest business ISP in the nation for downloads
Downloads up to 100Mbps, uploads up to 10Mbps

While their speeds are certainly honestly advertised, Comcast is unable to make the first statement honest with the presence of the second one. Verizon offers 150 Mbps FiOS service for businesses and home consumers for half of what Comcast charges for a maximum of 100 Mbps.

It's not even like Comcast is even trying to hide the fact that their service is slower than their greatest competition. By viewing this comparison chart on Comcast's own website, they list side-by-side Comcast versus Verizon FiOS, highlighting the fact that it is actually Verizon who offers the fastest internet service in the nation.

Comcast had been slapped on the wrist for their false advertising claims just a few months ago for claiming they had the fastest internet and best HD quality, which was a fallacy. Why is it that they are back again lying, when all the facts that THEY even present point in favor of other ISPs?

All this does is make Comcast appear as an even more dishonest company than they've ever been. Although, how much lower can you go once you've hit rock bottom?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

Re: [Rant] Why is Comcast blatantly LIEING again in advertising?

They are purely reporting that PC MAG stated this in an article!

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,23···axGmfW7K

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hhahn
I have 3 internet provider's in my area one has 1.5/768 one has 15/2 and the last has 20/4. Of these 3 which one is the slowest?
since when when is a company not allowed to raise there rates. You company probably has raised their rate also.
--
Caddy

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to hhahn
Nationwide they offer 100/10 or 50/10 for business class.

FIOS's tiny footprint offers 150, but only in the tiny footprint, so nationwide VZ gets averaged down by the vast majority of 6mbit DSL.

So, uh, yep, nationwide they are the fastest.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

hhahn

Marlton, NJ
reply to hhahn
said by JohnInSJ:

FIOS's tiny footprint offers 150, but only in the tiny footprint, so nationwide VZ gets averaged down by the vast majority of 6mbit DSL.

Comcast does not offer 100/10 nationwide like their lowest tier plans. It's only available in DOCSIS 3.0 areas. As the thread at the top of this forum indicates, the rollout is still in progress, and I know people who still have no ETA on DOCSIS 3 availability. Likewise, FiOS 150/35 is available in all GPON areas. While the area covered by FiOS is less than Comcast, it is still significant enough to not be ignored.

It seems that the author was only concerned with averaging the Speedtest results together, which is an extremely poor and unreliable metric of determining the "fastest" national ISP. He's either a moron or he got paid to deliberately present the data in a misleading format to favor Comcast.

said by Caddyroger:

since when when is a company not allowed to raise there rates. You company probably has raised their rate also.

The reasons I'm disappointed in the increase in are:
1. Comcast continues to increase the price of service despite stagnant speeds and the cost of bandwidth dropping.
2. They force the modem rental fee, with absolutely no way of avoiding it. I still don't understand how it is legal for them to throw a recurring mandatory "non-recurring" fee on a plan without including it in the price.
3. It's in the contract as a $5 fee when I signed up.

But I didn't want this to be a thread about the increase. I believe there's already another thread about that.

JohnIL

@comcast.net
reply to hhahn
I just went out and bought a modem. Who wants to pay 5 times over in rental fee's for a $50 modem. Give Comcast their modem back. My speed increased when I bought my own modem. I was getting 15 down 2 up. Now I get 25 Down and 4 up!

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hhahn
They force the modem rental fee, with absolutely no way of avoiding it. Since when have they forced a modem rental. Of the 12 or more years that I had Comcast cable and internet I have not paid to rent a modem. For about 2 years of the last 3 I did rent a emta but Oct of the year when Comcast allowed owners to buy their own Emta I went to Bestbuy and bought my owne Emta.
--
Caddy

hhahn

Marlton, NJ
reply to hhahn
said by JohnIL :

I just went out and bought a modem. Who wants to pay 5 times over in rental fee's for a $50 modem. Give Comcast their modem back. My speed increased when I bought my own modem. I was getting 15 down 2 up. Now I get 25 Down and 4 up!

said by Caddyroger:

Since when have they forced a modem rental. Of the 12 or more years that I had Comcast cable and internet I have not paid to rent a modem. For about 2 years of the last 3 I did rent a emta but Oct of the year when Comcast allowed owners to buy their own Emta I went to Bestbuy and bought my owne Emta.

They force the modem rental fee on Business Class subscribers. Even if you attempt to purchase your own modem, you have to run circles around their customer service to get it activated, and in the end you are STILL charged the modem rental fee (even if not using their modem). It sucks too because the modem they give you is a load of crap.

Believe me, if I had the option to not be reamed with yet another fee, I wouldn't be complaining.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to hhahn
said by hhahn:

1. Comcast continues to increase the price of service despite stagnant speeds and the cost of bandwidth dropping.

"Stagnant speeds" ? For real ? What world have you been in lately ?

hhahn

Marlton, NJ
said by EG:

said by hhahn:

"Stagnant speeds" ? For real ? What world have you been in lately ?

Well in my area, Comcast hasn't increased the speeds for my plans in the past 2 years at all. That's as far back as I can because I didn't have any reason to be interested in Comcast prior to then. They haven't reduced the cost either. Maybe in other areas of the country they are finally catching up to what was "fast" 5 years ago.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
So maybe don't make blanket statements ? Throughout the country they have been upgrading their network to DOCSIS 3 and increasing the speeds of their existing speed tiers.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to hhahn
said by hhahn:

said by JohnInSJ:

Comcast does not offer 100/10 nationwide like their lowest tier plans. It's only available in DOCSIS 3.0 areas. As the thread at the top of this forum indicates, the rollout is still in progress, and I know people who still have no ETA on DOCSIS 3 availability. Likewise, FiOS 150/35 is available in all GPON areas. While the area covered by FiOS is less than Comcast, it is still significant enough to not be ignored.

I am willing to bet that if their lawyers cleared it, it is statistically true. As in "(number of homes where any service is available * max speed at that home)/total homes"

Doesn't matter if FIOS is 50% faster for 5% of their subs. It's not enough. Even on docsis2 you can get 22/5 on business class. 22/5 stomps the living crap out of 6/.8 DSL.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

hhahn

Marlton, NJ
reply to EG
said by EG:

So maybe don't make blanket statements ? Throughout the country they have been upgrading their network to DOCSIS 3 and increasing the speeds of their existing speed tiers.

So again...now what's the reason I shouldn't be mad about an increase in fees if my service is not improving?

You could argue that the people in other parts who are just now getting DOCSIS 3 should pay more - because they actually are getting better service than they had.

JPnATL

join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA
reply to hhahn
Just be happy that it was not changed a long time ago like mine was ofcourse I did not post about it because what would that do.

fees_rise

@comcast.net
reply to hhahn
said by hhahn:

So again...now what's the reason I shouldn't be mad about an increase in fees if my service is not improving?

Try using the same reason(s) why you are not mad about food prices increasing with food taste or safety not improving; electricity prices going up with service not improving; gasoline prices increasing without a corresponding octane increase; airline fees, bank fees, postage rates, taxes... pick whatever increase you wish.

Your topic started out about how Comcast blatantly lied again in advertising, yet you seem to be more upset about the $2 per month modem fee increase. You even said
said by hhahn:

Believe me, if I had the option to not be reamed with yet another fee, I wouldn't be complaining.

So, which is it - lies or fees?

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
Comcast is increasing rental because THEY CAN.

Nothing we can do about it ;'(
They have loads of money already, just want more, so much greed.

Now if they were doing a fiber rollout, well okay then.

carmine

join:2002-09-30
Waterbury, CT
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

I am willing to bet that if their lawyers cleared it, it is statistically true.

Lawyers? Who needs lawyers?

Comcast did what many companies do these days - they found someone else to make the blanket statement and simply reported it:

Comcast provides fast Internet service, with speeds to fit your unique business needs. According to PC Mag, Comcast Business Class is the fastest Internet provider in the nation.

This takes them (Comcast) off the hook. It's the same as all those ads you see on TV where one, two, or 10 "typical consumers" rave about how great a product or service is. From a legal standpoint, the company isn't making the claim, those consumers are simply stating their own point of view.

PCMag - many years ago - was a terrific resource with professionally written articles, real product testing performed in real labs, and strongly asserted independence. By the mid-1990's, that was all gone. Today, in my opinion, it functions as little more than a shill, not unlike those guys who can be counted on to provide "Best movie of the century!!" quotations for movie producers to include in their promotional materials.

carmine

join:2002-09-30
Waterbury, CT
Also, what qualifies as "business class" service?

Without limiting parameters, Optimum Lightpath would certainly trump Comcast with available bandwidth up to 1000Mb (yes, 1000 - not a typo) for their MetroEthernet service and up to 10Gb on their OTS network.

Optimum Lightpath is one of two business services offered by Cablevision Systems Corp. See »www.optimumbusiness.com/chooser.jsp

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to hhahn
if I may ask, what package do you have right now?

how much do you pay?

is it in a home or in a biz location?

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to JohnIL
said by JohnIL :

I just went out and bought a modem. Who wants to pay 5 times over in rental fee's for a $50 modem.

A new BEFCMU10 or SB5100 is only around $25.

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL
reply to hhahn
BTW, it's spelled LYING