uniqs
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Re: A UBB plan can be designed to be revenue neutral

And if consumers stopped paying the price if they deem it too egregious, prices would stop rising.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit

What choice do most Americans have? It's like implying that if you do not like power pricing, get rid of it from your house. Data has become as essential as any other utility in our lives.

This is indeed why so many countries that have consumer protection agencies (the thing the GOP has blocked here) have polices to encourage competition and stamp out US style monopolies.

I had a good 10+ broadband providers to choose from when I was abroad. Using technologies ranging from cable, wifi, ADSL2+, 3.5G etc, all in one location. I only have 1 here - comcast.

This is why other nations are starting to roll out a government owned wholesale FTTP network. Much like roads, this model allows a range of carriers to sell data services over the wholesale network; rather than the status-quo where monopolies do whatever they want.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by Terabit:

This is why other nations are starting to roll out a government owned wholesale FTTP network.

Great concept. Who pays for it?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by openbox9:

Great concept. Who pays for it?

Are you kidding? Subscriber revenue pays for it. Instead of $10 billion - $20 billion in pure profit every year going to executive compensation and shareholder bonuses, all profits would go back into the network.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Let me rephrase. Since this national, federally funded and managed infrastructure does not exist, who is going to pay to create it?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

How about we take all those billions in subsidies to the major providers now and just re-route it this?