floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

I want to add a 2nd PC to my powerline networking

My current network setup is;

1) Linksys BEFCMU10 plugged in to my Linksys E2000.

2) I have 2 Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapters. One in the dinning room hooked to the Linksys E200 router and the other in my bedroom plugged into my computer witch I'm getting 22Mbps/3.50Mbps on a 15Mbps Comcast connection.

3) My sister uses an old 2004 Motorola 2.4GHz wireless G 54Mbps.

I want to remove that WiFi adapter and reconnected her computer to my powerline home network.

Can I just plugged a 3rd Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapter to her computer from her room where my PC and her PC would connected to the Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapter in the dinning room???

Or does it take 2 Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapters per computer???

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

You can add just one powerline adapter
If you did not set up security on the two powerline adapters you have currently you can just connect a third

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

Okay so plugging in a third one to my sisters computer's sound easy enough.

I'll have a Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapters hooked the dinning room A/C to the Linksys E200 witch is where the internet cable modem & cable outlet is also. With 2 Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapters in separated bedrooms.

You say that 2 computers will be able to hook up this way but will this 3 way powerline setup give each computer internet access using 3 Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra adapters or will I need 4 total to give each computer internet access?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to floydb1982

said by floydb1982:

I have 2 Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapters. One in the dinning room hooked to the Linksys E200 router and the other in my bedroom plugged into my computer

It takes 2 powerline adapters to create the powerline network
The powerline adapter that's connected to the linksys will provide internet/network access for any other devices that are connected to other powerline adapters
said by floydb1982:

My sister uses an old 2004 Motorola 2.4GHz wireless G 54Mbps
I want to remove that WiFi adapter and reconnected her computer to my powerline home network

Just add a third powerline adapter for that computer
said by floydb1982:

will I need 4 total to give each computer internet access?

No, you want to connect one more computer to the powerline network so you only need one powerline adapter

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

Okay let's say I want to dump the Linksys E2000 router altogether can I simply plug the cable modem into the Netgear Powerline AV 200 Ultra Adapter in the dinning room and share the internet vs the powerline network or does the modem have to be plugged into the router to share the internet vs the powerline network???

urbanracer34

join:2010-01-06
Saskatoon, SK

In short, You'll want to keep that router around and hooked up so bad guys don't mess with your computers.

In long: You'll want to keep that router around. Most of the Linksys routers have a built in "firewall" which keeps out people wanting to mess with your computers and data. The firewall makes it a bit more difficult to get data in or out (such as torrents or online gaming, but not normal web surfing, youtube, etc) but there are guides available on the Internet as well as the manual you should've received on disk or in the box.
--
If I post in a forum such as AT&T or Verizon, it's usually with a good reason. I lurk in these sections all the time so I know my stuff. I am also CompTIA A+ Certified.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to floydb1982

Why do you want to eliminate the e2000 router?

The router makes it possible for you to share the internet connection among many computers

Without the router only one computer can connect to the internet

floydb1982

Kent, WA

So Powerline Networking was not made to share the broadband internet among multiple computers by itself without the main Powerline adapter plugged in the router??? If that is the case I'll leave the router hooked up and running.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The router makes it possible for you to share the internet connection among many computers

The powerline adapters provide a means to connect ethernet devices using 2 or more powerline adapters