Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
La Place, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[DIRECTV] DVR Recording Questions

I'm thinking of switching to DIRECTV, but wanted to see if I could get a few questions answered first (I did some searches, but want clarification anyway):

1) How many channels can I record at once with the Whole Home DVR service?

2) Does this limit the ability to watch TV in other rooms of my home?

3) I currently have UVerse which uses the existing COAX infrastructure. Does the Whole Home DVR service do the same?
--
Not only does Jesus save, but he makes nightly off-site backups.

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV

1) It depends on how many DVR's you have. With Whole Home DVR service, you can have multiple DVR's (I have 5) and each DVR can record 2 shows.

2) Possibly. Each DVR can serve 1 remote location. So if you are watching a show (live or recorded on a DVR), another room can watch a recorded program from that DVR. A second receiver or DVR requesting to watch a recorded show from that DVR will be denied. Each remote location will have either a DVR or Receiver. Use of those DVR's or receivers work as independent units.

1 & 2) DirecTV is in the process of releasing their Home Media Center. This is a 5 tuner DVR that can serve 3 remote locations. It is currently in limited distribution, but looks to be going nationwide soon.

3) Yes. DirecTV's SWM/DECA technology can use existing coax. It all depends on the quality of the coax. If it supports UVerse, there is good chance it support DirecTV as well.

One additional note, for Whole Home DVR service, all receivers/DVR's must be HD units.

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Drex

Here's the best example I can give:
With UVerse I can "watch" up to 3 HD streams. So, I can have 2 HD programs recording and be watching a 3rd. But that's it. So if I'm doing just that, I CANNOT watch any HD channels on ANY of my other TVs (I may not be able to watch TV at all, I have not tested this). The only thing I can watch on any of the other TVs is a recorded show.

Does DirectTV have this same limitation?
--

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

The D* hddvr (excluding) the HR34 , The HDDVR can record two shows & you can watch a pre-recorded show if connected to the internet it can download a show at the same time.

The whole connected home Allows one HDDVR to stream one recorded show to one HD Receiver at a time.

Each TV in the house will have it's own Receiver (direct feed rg6) back to a central location - either a HDDVR or HD RECEIVER that will allow for you to watch watch any live channel or recorded content from a remote HDDVR on that Set location.

D* charges $7 a month for DVR service (NOT PER RECEIVER)

SO the more HDDVR's you have the more Series Links you can have each DVR has a 50 series limit.

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA

So in order to record two shows on one HDDVR and be able to record a 3rd show, I need a 2nd HDDVR?
--

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

Yes. I do not know about all HDDVR's out there from D* but from my understanding the DVR's are 2 tuner so you can record 1 and watch one live or record 2 but you would have to watch one of the recordings. You cannot watch live TV with 2 recordings on one DVR. Well, not on mine anyway. This is why I got 2 DVR's. I am not sure how many DVR's you can have but someone told me six total? Not sure on that. I also had U-Verse in the past and this is one of the reasons I switched to D*. Limited streams and small DVR with no expansion. I know currently U-Verse is putting 500GB drives in but you are still limited to one DVR. I have 2 DVR's with 500GB drives in them plus with D* you can add an eSATA external drive if you fill up your internal drives. Also, you do not have to worry about limited streams per say with D*. If I am watching the game at my bar downstairs on an HD receiver I do not have to worry about how many HD streams I am using if my DVR's are recording.

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV
reply to Drex

If you want to max out Whole Home DVR, then you can have 8 HDDVR's. I have 5 HDDVR's and 3 HD Receivers. I will be getting an HR34 as soon as they are available and dropping 2 HD receivers as that will max me out at 16 tuners.

So the limit for Whole Home DVR is basically 16 Tuners. So you can record 16 HD shows at one time if you have the proper setup.

I understand what you are referring to with the UVerse limitation of 3 HD streams. My M-I-L has UVerse and when she got it, it was 1 HD stream. She was up to 2 the last time I was there. But UVerse limits you to 1 HDDVR. With DirecTV, you can have as many as you are willing to pay for. (Cost $199 plus $5 mo additional receiver fee)

Plus there are a couple of bonus's with DirecTV. 1) The PQ is far and away better than UVerse. 2) There are no SD channel numbers and HD channel numbers. My M-I-L would forget to go look up in the 1000's to see if a program was in HD. With DirecTV, there is just one set of Channel #'s. If the channel is available in HD, you get the HD version by default. (You can see the SD channels if you want, but I never have.) Plus, you can add additional storage to the HDDVR's via eSATA. All but one of my DVR's are running eSATA drives from 1T to 2T vs the stock 500G.

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by herdfan:

Plus there are a couple of bonus's with DirecTV. 1) The PQ is far and away better than UVerse.

That's the biggest complaint I have with UVerse. The HD PQ is unacceptable (in my opinion) when watching sports. I know there's nothing that can be done as it's the nature of the beast with UVerse.

I was looking at the cost of DirectTV and I chose the Premium package which gives you "Every premium movie channel included". Each premium movie channel was immediately discounted the regular price. However, there also is a $45.00 "FREE for 3 months: HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, and Cinemax" instant credit. So after 3 months even though you still get the HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax discount (per month), the $45 credit disappears. I'm thinking the $45 instant credit is incorrect.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Nuckfuts
Premium
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Drex

Re: [DIRECTV] DVR Recording Questions

One of my biggest complaints also. When U-Verse first launched it was ok but they kept compressing their bitrate down to fit more HD streams into their profiles with a max of 4 if you were lucky. I could not stand the pixelation, macro-blocking during certain sports, etc. anymore. By far the HD PQ from D* is superior to U-Verse. And as you can see you are not limited to 4 HD streams with D*. When I signed-up I got the first HDDVR free and the additional(s) were only $100. I should of got another but 2 works just fine for what we record.

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

The DirectTV site now says the Home DVR Receiver can record up to 5 shows at once. Guess it's time to call and see if that's HD shows or SD shows. 5 shows would be more than enough and I wouldn't have to buy the extra HD DVR Receiver.
--

Nuckfuts
Premium
Joliet, IL

It is their new HR34 HDDVR receiver. It is a five tuner receiver. You can record 5 HD.

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Nuckfuts:

It is their new HR34 HDDVR receiver. It is a five tuner receiver. You can record 5 HD.

Thanks. Time to make the switch then.
--

Nuckfuts
Premium
Joliet, IL

Your eyes will feel so much better with the superb HD PQ, lol. Good Luck!!!

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
reply to Drex

said by Drex:

I'm thinking of switching to DIRECTV, but wanted to see if I could get a few questions answered first (I did some searches, but want clarification anyway):

1) How many channels can I record at once with the Whole Home DVR service?

2) Does this limit the ability to watch TV in other rooms of my home?

3) I currently have UVerse which uses the existing COAX infrastructure. Does the Whole Home DVR service do the same?

1) It depends on how many DVR's you have. Each DVR has 2 tuners, which means it is capable of recording 2 programs at the same time. If you buy 6 DVR's, you can record 12 programs at the same time if you wish. With the whole home DVR setup, you can watch from other DVR's as well, so e.g. you can record something on the DVR in the bedroom, and then watch it on th DVR in the livingroom.

2) Not at all. You can buy as many tuners as you want, and all of them will be able to tune into a channel. Want 100 TV's, all tuned in to a different HD station? No problem!

3) Yes, it will utilize the coaxial cables in your house. As a matter of fact, when I moved into my current home in October 2010, the previous owner had U-Verse TV. The cables AT&T put in were less then a year old, and were of the same kind DirecTV would have used, so all the DirecTV installer did is replace the "heads" (the end of the cables) with a DirecTV approved plug. I have had 0 issues with the whole home DVR setup.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Drex

the HR2x model HD-DVR's can record upto 2 channels at the same time and have another reciver watching a recored or currently recording show

the HR34 can record upto 5 shows at once and have 3 remote sessions

in standard setups if you have over 8 tuners you'll get a SWM16 which can support 16 tuners (8 per leg)

however if you were to have a huge setup theres supposidly a max of 10 DVR playlists that any one reciver can view at once (I've heard its actually more)

but any home setup past 16 tuners a normal installer will have issues setting it up

1. DECA (Directv's MoCA) supports a max of 16 nodes (ie recivers, dvr's, CCK-W's)

2. the SWM16 is the largest SWM switch with a deca bridge built in (so any larger and you'll have to use ethernet and not Deca to network the recivers)

the HR34 supports RVU clients (ie non-D* devices that can view the recordings and use one of the 5 tuners)

on DBStalk theres at least 1 person with a home setup with about 28 tuners and Whole home dvr enabled

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Drex

I have the HR34 and it's great. DirecTV is light years ahead of U-Verse. I would highly recommend it. U-Verse is extremely limited due to bandwidth restrictions.

I have an HR34 and two H25 receivers. I can record 5 things on my HR34 while watching two other things (either from the HR34 or regular TV viewing) on my H25s.

The picture quality is far and away better than U-Verse and cable companies. It's not nearly as compressed and looks great. I hope you made the switch!

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

My UVerse isn't up until January, but I don't think I'm locked in to any sort of agreement. Once I verify that, I'll be making the call to DTV.
I plan on keeping the UVerse internet and phone as those have been fine for me.
--

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

The deed is done.
Scheduled for a Monday installation of DirecTv. I'm getting the whole home DVR thing.
Anything I should prepare for? Run Ethernet to my main TV maybe?
--

herdfan
Premium
Hurricane, WV

said by Drex:

Anything I should prepare for? Run Ethernet to my main TV maybe?

Nope. Whole Home DVR uses coax to connect the receivers. If you want to be able to use VOD or order PPV via remote or use the iPad App, then you will need Ethernet to connect the system to the internet, but it can be located anywhere the coax and your network converge.

For example, my SWM is in my garage and so is my my main Ethernet switch. So I connected my WHDVR system to my network there.

Nuckfuts
Premium
Joliet, IL

@Drex. I already had a switch behind my TV set-up for my 360 and Bluray so it was plug and play for the installer and the U-Verse RG gave no issues with the receivers either. My VOD works great.

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Things are not going well.
First the guy shows up with only 2 HD receivers. He tells me that's all his work order shows. I tell him he is supposed to have 2 HD receivers and the whole home DVR. He doesn't have that on his truck and in fact he said it's so new he's never even seen it before.
A call to Directv and the operator tells me the work order only shows 2 HD receivers. I then ask her why I was charged for the Home DVR system and to check what I actually ordered. She does and agrees I am supposed to get the Home DVR system.
She then tells me in order to get that system, I "have to have a Samsung TV". I was floored! I explained to her that information is incorrect and if it was why wasn't I told that before ordering it? I then explain this to the tech who tells me the operator is wrong...of course.
So here I am with 2 HD receivers (he's still working on getting them working...very foggy/overcast day) and no DVR like I ordered. What's even better is he has no idea where he can get this new Home DVR system since his home office doesn't have it and he's never even seen it before.
I'd rather deal with the crappy UVers HD and be able to record shows than not have DVR capability at all.

The saga continues...
--

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Nuckfuts

Lovely...now they are trying to get me to take one of the regular DVR boxes that will still do Home DVR, but only 2 channels. Nope! I ordered the one with the 5 streams, I was told I was going to get the one with 5 streams, guess what? I want what I was sold. I know, it's hard to believe I'd actually WANT something I was told I'd be getting, but believe it.
--

Drex
Premium
La Place, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Finally got everything installed. The tech had to wait for someone to bring the HR34. Felt bad for him b/c he said he is a contractor and doesn't get paid OT. Oh well, tell them to get their shit together next time.
It was raining so we had some issues getting a signal.
--