spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

only way out..

upgrade the network to fiber.. starting in the highest customer dense locations.... this starts with getting more bundles of fiber from tier-1 to the central offices. if you can't transition the telecom to a service consumers might actually pay more money per month for service, they might as well pack it in & go out of business. go big or close up shop.

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD

Anon

That's too expensive unless it starts and ends with their most customer dense locations, everything else is unfeasible.

At this stage in the game, Fairpoint needs a reverse Morris-Trust type strategy of their own to offload their never to be profitable areas onto a subsidiary or local co-ops (tele-coops) if any exist.

TelcoGuy
@telus.net

TelcoGuy

Anon

People will choose cable triple-play until FairPoint upgrades to FTTH. Future is dire for rural telcos.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to JasonOD

to JasonOD
In all your wisdom in this you make stupid comments.

So Fairpoint, or someone at one point, was cost justified to roll out copper to these locations and support that for many many years and now all of a sudden it is not cost effective to rollout the next technology that is cheaper to support, gives them the ability to actually compete and will last a whole lot longer?

That is just short term greed that equates to long term stupidity.

cwa
@optonline.net

cwa to JasonOD

Anon

to JasonOD
A lot of people likes to shit on unions, but it was CWA that told the regulators that this purchase to Fairpoint was a very very bad deal for all the consumers. They told regulators that the company wouldn't be able to manage the debt. Blame the state regulators of Maine,Vermont and New Hampshire's they fucked there own people, because they believed the bullshit that Verizon and Fairpoint were telling them.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan

Premium Member

True, but now CWA supports the AT&T lie that the Merger with T-mobile will create jobs. What a sleazy way to gain new membership. CWA needs/has needed new leadership for quite a while now to take the Union in a positive direction.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

No, it is short term "no one will Lend them money" to upgrade infrastructure that can't repay the investment for a decade or two. Will you take YOUR hard earned savings and lend it to them knowing you may not get any back for 10 yrs or more? I thought not. But I am sure you won't mind if taxpayers do it.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

Actually, this mindset is the reason why Wall Street is the way it is.

No short-term gain? No lending out the money. If I had to wait 10 years or more for a ROI, that would actually be ok with me. What wouldn't be ok with me is if I wasn't guaranteed a ROI 10-20 years from now.

Also, as long as it wouldn't put me into financial trouble, I would be ok with it. I mean, why not invest just because the short-term profit isn't there? Sometimes you have to look at the big picture, and in this case the big picture for this telecom is trying to make good on the promises they've already made, which they aren't doing.

The first comment is a little far fetched, I think this should be the end result after the bottom line has been strengthened a bit, in other words focus on the elimination of debt and gear the business with the customer in mind. As of late, this hasn't been happening.

This is why I hate the phrase "whatever the market will bear." It shouldn't be about what the market "will bear", but about whether the customer sees value in the purchase. Instead of setting a smoke screen to produce the illusion of value, actually produce value. Make it worthwhile.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Skippy25:

No, it is short term "no one will Lend them money" to upgrade infrastructure that can't repay the investment for a decade or two. Will you take YOUR hard earned savings and lend it to them knowing you may not get any back for 10 yrs or more? I thought not. But I am sure you won't mind if taxpayers do it.

Soo... then explain to me again why people are buying up US treasuries at negative real interest rates?

This indicates the government should build its own network.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to FFH5

to FFH5
Really? How did they do it in the beginning? Did they just crap out the money they invested?

Sure, most stock jockeys today wont want anyone to lend someone money that they wont see a return on an hour later, but smart and unselfish people (people like me) will gladly contribute for long term benefit for myself, my children, my grand children and my great grand children.
overand
join:2011-12-06

overand to tmc8080

to tmc8080
There's a big population density issue here.

Brooklyn, NY has 2.5 million people, in 71 square miles.

All of Maine has 1.3 million people - spread out through 35,000 square miles.

That's a *lot* of fiber to go to the end users - a lot of copper to replace. And just the labor costs of threading new cable on telephone poles is quite expensive - and Maine doesn't have the most thriving economy.

Would I prefer fiber-to-the-premesis? For sure. Is it "economical?" Not really at this point. I'm not holding my breath.