how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Blondie

join:2011-08-20
Hobart, IN

[DSL] Modem Support Fee

I just got a notice in the mail from Frontier. It says: "Your current modem is out of warranty. We want to make you aware that a modem support and warranty fee of $6.99 per month will appear on your bill as of 1/12/12. Your old modem does not provide the wireless and security performance that works best with the Frontier network. The modem support fee will assure you will have unlimited device support and a replacement modem should that become necessary. Call us today to receive a new, wireless modem."

So they've got you either way. If you don't get a new modem from them they're going to charge a modem support fee. If you get a new modem from them they charge you a fee. You can't win. I bought this modem from Verizon. It works fine. If something goes wrong with it I could buy a new one for a heck of a lot less than Frontier charges with their modem fee. I don't need their support.

rifleman69

join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

I was going to say to just ask for a new one but it looks like you purchased the current one.

JediSurfer

join:2010-06-08
united state
reply to Blondie

Have you called Frontier about it yet? If they plan to try and force this fee on me I will move onto a different provider who does not force required phone/modem fees. I've been looking into this for a couple months now in the case Frontier wants to try give me the $7.00 HSI disguised rate hike. Whenever I was on Verizon I signed up for the $29.99 month for life plan. Sad that it only lasted for 2 years before they sold us out. Apparently Frontier no longer will be honoring this or any other of the former Verizon customer's plans. So whenever I get this disguised rate hike notice I will kindly remind them that I was on the Verizon price for life plan. If they will no longer allow me to keep that plan, as it nowhere stated I was indebted for life to Verizon for modem fees. Then I will kindly ask them to cancel both the phone and HSI plan and move onto a different provider. Though they are few in choice I am lucky enough to have some. Customer's should have a choice as they do with additional phone features. If you wish to use your own modem/router you should be able to do so without a penalty fee. And if they require the use of their modem equipment should allow the customer to purchase such equipment at fair market value without ongoing fees.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2
reply to Blondie

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's a copy of the flyer.

I called a rep and told them that if they charge it, to just go ahead and cancel the account. I told them I owned my own modem, and if it goes bad, I'll be responsible for it myself. She said there's nothing she could do, and asked if she could proceed with canceling my service.

I did ask to speak to a supervisor, and it's the first they've heard of it, so he'll actually defused the situation for now - but if he comes back next week and says there's no option, I'm leaving and porting out and getting Comcast.
--

carays

join:2008-09-22
Ormond Beach, FL

I am no longer a frontier customer. My understanding when I had my own modem was that they would not support it in any way. Would they actually be supporting your modem or is this a ploy to push you into renting/leasing there modem for the same fee.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium

said by carays:

I am no longer a frontier customer. My understanding when I had my own modem was that they would not support it in any way. Would they actually be supporting your modem or is this a ploy to push you into renting/leasing there modem for the same fee.

It's a ploy by them to get $6.99 out of you whether you own your own modem or rent one from them. If you own your own, you pay this $6.99 modem support fee. If you rent one, you pay the $6.99 modem rental fee.

IMHO it's a way for them to grab $6.99/mo without "raising rates".
--

Intrepid1

join:2011-06-15
reply to Blondie

They can't charge you a service fee for problems outside the house on the line. I'm sure this fee will result in another lawsuit and they will have to repeal the fee.

Blondie

Hobart, IN

I wonder about the part that says: "Act before January 12, 2012 to avoid online support or service call charges." What does this mean? If you don't get a new modem are they going to charge you for online support and service calls?

JediSurfer

join:2010-06-08
united state
reply to acadiel

Acadiel it says that is your final notice. Did you ever get any previous notice before from Frontier? I think everyone needs to email and call the upper management for your specific area and let them know what you think about this hidden sneaky rate hike.

»www.frontier.com/customerservice/contacts/

It seems clear they seem to be rolling this out slowly as to not alarm the majority of customers at large in the former Verizon regions. I have talked to a few people who have gotten this notice but not everyone I knows has gotten one yet including myself.

big_e

join:2011-03-05
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Blondie

They are also failing to disclose how much the wireless modem will cost per month. They used to charge $14.99/mo rental if you wanted a wireless router.. In description of their packages on their website they state the modem rental fee is $6.99 without any mention whether or not that modem is wireless. If it was wireless I certainly think they would have put it there as a selling point.. There is a separate section on Frontier's website which says "CREATE A WIRELESS HOME HOT SPOT FOR JUST $6.99 PER MONTH!" , but they are not stating that particular fee is a modem rental fee.

I am betting the fees stack. $6.99/mo for modem rental plus an additional $6.99/mo fee for wireless for a total charge of $14/mo.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
reply to JediSurfer

said by JediSurfer:

Acadiel it says that is your final notice. Did you ever get any previous notice before from Frontier? I think everyone needs to email and call the upper management for your specific area and let them know what you think about this hidden sneaky rate hike.

»www.frontier.com/customerservice/contacts/

It seems clear they seem to be rolling this out slowly as to not alarm the majority of customers at large in the former Verizon regions. I have talked to a few people who have gotten this notice but not everyone I knows has gotten one yet including myself.

Nope, no prior notices. The interesting part is the Westell modem I have is still the current Frontier wireless model - I got it when I signed up for service in July 2010 (it's even branded "Frontier"). And no, no rental fee was ever mentioned when I locked in my 2 year deal with them.
--

Blondie

Hobart, IN
reply to big_e

big_e, Thanks for pointing that out. They don't mention if the modem is wireless or not! I think you may be right. The total charge could be $14/mo.

MysticX

join:2007-03-05
Rochelle, IL
reply to acadiel

Funny how everyone is getting there final notice at the same time and ending on the same date. We didn't all sign up at the same time, just a money grab to try to sneak it past people. Anytime you have to opt out of a fee, it is a scam. I called and was given the hard sell to the wireless modem. I told them no to the modem and the warranty. I was told I wouldn't be charged come 1/12/12, but knowing them I probably still will.

NekoSaur

join:2011-08-03
Jackson, MI
reply to Blondie

My experiences with this:
I signed up for Frontier about a month ago. When I called to establish service I explicitly told the CS agent not to send me a modem because I would set up my own. I bought an ActionTec modem from Amazon for $41 shipped while waiting for the install. When the installer came he refused to touch the ActionTec and told me that my $200 Apple Airport Extreme N router was not necessary and was inferior to the supplied Westell wireless modem that he wanted to install.
I asked him to not install the Westell but to just verify that there was a DSL signal and I would program the modem myself (easy BTW - name/password/choose ADSL2+ and done!)
He would not do that either and hooked up the Westell and left after verifying and setting it up.

I have since switched to my personal ActionTec modem and all has been well with FAR improved speeds over the Westell. The combo of a GOOD DSL modem and a super fast dual-band N router DOES make a difference.

Calling Frontier has been no help. They refused to remove the rental. I told them if I am refusing a rental then they cannot charge me. They disagreed. I told them that it they rephrased the "fee" as a monthly technology support fee then I would understand, but classifying it as a rental in my opinion would possibly be a legal issue. They agreed and said they were looking into changing terminology along with the new website.

So it obviously is a money grab. They have changed the language of why they are charging this fee - right or wrong and That's fine I guess. In the end I have a backup Westell modem, but it's still annoying that they have to rely on sneaky tricks like this to cover costs and save face over not raising rates. They pretty much just upped all DSL packages by a now mandatory $7 a month and won't have to worry about violating "price locked" contracts. They could have been a little more human about this and explained WHY they needed to do this rather than threaten fees if you dont pay up. Shame.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to Blondie

This is why you want to find a dsl wholesaler then you wont run into this issue.

Intrepid1

join:2011-06-15
reply to Blondie

I don't know as they can legally do this. Charging you a fee for something they don't own seems like a big grey area. All they are supposed to do is provide DSL service to the home after that it becomes the consumers choice on Modem,wiring,router. I don't think it will be to long till you see lawsuits about this and they can fight it out in the court system.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

1 edit
reply to Blondie

At this point the only thing all of you can do is cancel your service in mass protest.

We can start a tally of money lost on this thread.

7 dollars for a fucking fee, rental or own is ridiculous.

jbbrown

join:2011-11-23
reply to Blondie

This is just crazy, I hope they lose customers because of this! So I would have to pay $14/month for a modem and wireless internet? No thanks, I will take my business elsewhere!

DXBroadband

@comcast.net

And here I was mere hours away from switching from Comcast to Frontier FiOS. Talked to them on the phone Friday and they told me 25/25 was like $44 a month and there were no additional modem rental fees. I'm definitely going to verify but even if am I willing to gamble they won't do the same to me mere months into service. Ugh!

jbbrown

join:2011-11-23

I am considering switching from Frontier to Comcast. I would recommend that if you are not having problems with Comcast, to stay with them. I have had so many billing problems with Frontier that it just isn't worth it.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
reply to Blondie

My heart goes out to you folks who really do not have any other choice than Frontier. They are such a joke ! Now they are charging $7 a month if you own your own modem ! I am so happy that I recently got my parents switched over to Time Warner for their internet and phone service and they are very happy they switched also ! Frontier is on it's way down the tubes.
--
DirecTV is pretty neat.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Blondie

I hope other providers notice this and start charging also.
People need to pay for support companies should not have to bleed money supporting peoples inferior equipment.
This support fee will provide better service for all.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to DXBroadband

said by DXBroadband :

And here I was mere hours away from switching from Comcast to Frontier FiOS. Talked to them on the phone Friday and they told me 25/25 was like $44 a month and there were no additional modem rental fees. I'm definitely going to verify but even if am I willing to gamble they won't do the same to me mere months into service. Ugh!

Uhm... this is about DSL service and DSL modems... FiOS is a completely different beast.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
reply to nonymous

You can't be serious. Frontier is an inferior company in every respect of the word. The modem fee is a money grab on their part. Nothing more, nothing less. Better service ? Nope.
--
DirecTV is pretty neat.

Blondie

Hobart, IN
reply to nonymous

And just what kind of support do you need for a modem? Either a modem is working or it isn't. If it isn't working you can buy a new one for a lot less than $84. Also when Frontier took over I received a letter from them telling me not to worry, nothing would change. Well so far they've added on a $1.50 HSI surcharge and now a $6.99 modem support fee. I would call this a change.

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to nonymous

quote:
People need to pay for support companies should not have to bleed money supporting peoples inferior equipment.
Maybe you could use part of the fee to learn proper English.

This support fee will pay for CEO Bonuses and shareholder dividends.

Blondie

Hobart, IN

Good retort to nonymous, Dolgan. Also, if Frontier is going to charge a modem support fee, we should get our money's worth. Call up customer support for every little thing. Ask them how to turn the modem on or ask what do all the green lights mean.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

That makes absolutely ZERO sense. There is no support for non-ISP Modems and to charge a fee and to still not support configuration or setup assistance with non-ISP supplied DSL Modems is just theft. It will not improve anything but the bank balance of Frontier the ISP.

Seriously, how do you know people have inferior products compared to the well known to be missing features (at the request of the ISP to lower the per unit cost to Frontier) Westell Wireless product the ISP is pushing as a rental. Almost any other brand is superior to that.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

Is this a joke?

FTRAnonyrep

join:2011-12-06
Deland, FL
reply to Blondie

The reps are as against this fee as the customers are, I can assure you of that.