uniqs
jeffster2k
join:2004-11-13

jeffster2k to pal

to pal

Re: [Extreme Plus] rogcesadmin login no longer working 10/26/201

said by pal :

You don't quite get it jeffster2k

If you don't understand the difference between the LAN & WAN then you need to educate yourself.

I've been in IT for 12 years, and have two Cisco certs, so yes, I understand. I also agree with you about what it SHOULD be. However, it doesn't work that way in real life. I don't know the details of Rogers terms of service regarding this issue, but if they no longer provide non router modems to use, I assume they've changed their demarc. Assuming that the router/modem they gave you is their demarc, that means they manage it, not you. It doesn't matter if your LAN plugs into it or not. If they say it's their demarc, it's their demarc. My guess is that anything plugged into the LAN port on their managed device is under your control. So plug your own managed router in, or something.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

You're missing the point.

Rogers both rents and sells ONLY residential gateways (modem/router combo units). It's a single unit to save the customer having 2 boxes on/under his desk.

The modem firmware is up to Rogers to maintain to conform to work properly according to DOCSIS specs.

The router is NOT Rogers to maintain, and specifically if I purchased the gateway.

So, yeah, block user access to modem options if they must (heck they did that with the Toshiba PCX2600 modem ... as soon as it connected, you couldn't access the modem's diags from the customer side.

But don't block user access to the router.

If they have firmware upgrades for the router firmware, do as car makers do and issue a "recall" ... you call in and say "OK, send me the latest router firmware" ... even if it's a mandatory upgrade. But the router is NOT Rogers to lock users out of.

Beyond a doubt this is all part of Rogers smart home monitoring system ... so they want control of the router so that users don't screw up the monitoring. Provide a port for a user to connect his own router that's independent of the Rogers stuff as if it were DMZ'ed.

Pal
@teksavvy.com

Pal to jeffster2k

Anon

to jeffster2k
You have 12 years so you'll fully understand when I tell you. I've been effectively locked out of my Bridge mode. That is the problem. Owning my SMC and Rogers not being my service provider means I have no access to the bridge mode switch as only Tech Support (I don't have) can put it in bridge mode. Since I own, Don't rent I want access to my equipment the way it was sold to me. WAN firmware upgrades should have nothing to do with the Removing LAN capabilities. Disabling switching between bridge mode is unacceptable after the fact. I am left with a modem and an unmanageable router.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable

Anon

You might get lucky with CCTS and some how force Rogers to unlock the modem/router, but not sure if that's going to survive the next upgrade.

That's why I suggested to go to small claims court to ask for compensation for the damages. Yes that's going to cost some $$$ for court fee and prep time. If you do win, you can go and buy a modem and a separate router and not having to worry about it again.