Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime

join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

Are their only 2 U-verse line profiles?

Hi. Just had U-verse installed here in Palmdale yesterday. Due to price reasons, I have the lowest U-verse internet package, 3mbps/1mbps, with U200 for TV. I've used U-verse before when I lived in Bakersfield, and when I was there, we started out with 18/1.5 internet and later upgraded to the top 24/3 internet package. In that setup, we had 3 STB's with the U450 Package for TV.
Now however, I have just 1 box, and 1 computer. I was surprised to find that my line profile was the 25/2 profile, the same as when I had 18/1.5 in Bakersfield. I figured it'd be a bit lower like maybe 10mbps downstream, since I only have 1 STB and just 3mbps pro tier for internet.
I used U-verse Realtime to get stats about my line, and see that my max line rate is 37516kbps, and I'm running at 67% capacity. I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, but I was curious, are their any line profiles lower than 25/2 for U-verse? I'm mainly thinking about downstream rate here, as I'd think you wouldn't want to drop below 2mbps up to make sure room is there for the TV and stuff. Again just curious if lower profiles exist other than the 25/2 and 32/5 profiles? I'm expecting my own connection should be stable though.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
There are two lower (on VDSL2 FTTN U-verse):
19/2 (supports U-Voice, up to 2 hd/2 sd IPTV, and up to Max 12/1.5 internet)
13/1.5 (supports U-Voice and up to Max 12/1.5 internet; does NOT support IPTV)

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to kd6cae
The speed or cost of the service that you order doesn't dictate the profile. It's the other way around, your profile is set based on the speed your residence is capable of, and it dicates which stream configurations and internet packages you can order.
There is a 19/2 profile, but it's rarely used for TV subscribers, and has pretty much been phased out in favor of pair bonding.
Sadly there is no way to ask for a more symmetrical profile.

kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime

join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks for the info everyone. Knowing my own configuration, I'd say the 19/2 profile would be the best one to ensure I'd have a stable line, and make the most use of the bandwidth of the line without having to have too much unused bandwidth, but from the looks of it, I couldn't request a drop to 19/2 even if I wanted it? Again I'm assuming I won't have issues with my 25/2 profile, given I'm at 67 percent line capacity at that level. My attenuation is 23.8, my noise margin is at 15.5, and my power levels are at 12.9 downstream, and 7.3 upstream. I haven't looked at DSL readings in a while so I forget if those readings look OK, but guessing they do. Again thanks for the responses everyone.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to kd6cae
Your profile rate is your maximum allocated bandwidth. So all your TVs and Internet devices could pull up to 25Mbps. That "Line Capacity" value from the RG has absolutely nothing to do with how much bandwidth you use or could use. It is your profile rate divided by your line max rate (the fastest speed that you theoretically get, but not practically).

SomeJoe7777

join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX
kudos:7
reply to kd6cae
Normally, the line profile will be set to the maximum profile that your line can handle for technician-installed U-Verse service. For around 2/3 of AT&T customers, this is the 32/5 profile. All remaining customers should end up with the 25/2 profile.

The 19/2 profile is no longer supposed to be used for new installations. If your line length or quality is such that the 25/2 profile would not be stable, you are supposed to get an iNID installation with pair bonding, and then get the 25/2 profile.

If instead of a technician-installed U-Verse service (which is required for IPTV service and/or the Max Plus [18/1.5] and Max Turbo [24/3] internet services) you have a self-installed U-Verse service (only done for VOIP and internet-only customers with Max [12/1] internet or lower), then the line profile is set to 13/1.5, even if the line could support a higher profile.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I've done iNID installs that were on a bonded 19/2 profile - Long enough loop that the two pairs together only support 19/2

19/2 is still used for new installs. Even single pair 19/2 is needed sometimes still, if there are not enough pairs, or in an MDU situation where an iNID is not possible/practical

SomeJoe7777

join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX
kudos:7
True, those would be special situations where nothing but 19/2 is possible:

- iNID but even with pair bonding, can't support 25/2 (very long loop lengths)
- Insufficient pairs to install iNID
- MDU / can't install iNID

I would think those would be fairly few and far between, though.