how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jacketfeng

join:2008-12-21
Toronto, ON

[TV] Explorer 8300hd

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CHANGE HDD FOR THIS PVR?

i got this pvr 3 years ago, but now i recording lots shows and the HDD is not enough for me.

JMCD23

join:2010-12-06
London, ON

Google is your friend, there are a few good guides out there.

However the basics of it are you need a 3.5" IDE HDD from any PC store. You have to remove some screws on the PVR to get access to the HDD caddy, but it's fairly simple. The only problem I ran into with mine was you need a very specific bit to open the thing up. It's a Torq10 security bit or something. Looks like this »www.tooled-up.com/Artwork/ProdZo···X10S.jpg

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jacketfeng

You can get an eSATA extender. But they can be somewhat problematic, and with every Rogers firmware update there is risk of losing your recordings.

You can replace the drive with an internal IDE up to 500GB I believe.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON

said by HiVolt:

You can get an eSATA extender. But they can be somewhat problematic, and with every Rogers firmware update there is risk of losing your recordings.

You can replace the drive with an internal IDE up to 500GB I believe.

can i replace a 1tb hdd ?

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON
reply to JMCD23

said by JMCD23:

Google is your friend, there are a few good guides out there.

However the basics of it are you need a 3.5" IDE HDD from any PC store. You have to remove some screws on the PVR to get access to the HDD caddy, but it's fairly simple. The only problem I ran into with mine was you need a very specific bit to open the thing up. It's a Torq10 security bit or something. Looks like this »www.tooled-up.com/Artwork/ProdZo···X10S.jpg

is that call t10 screwhead ?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I dont think they ever made a 1TB IDE drive. I think the max may have been 750GB, but I could be wrong.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON

2 edits

said by HiVolt:

I dont think they ever made a 1TB IDE drive. I think the max may have been 750GB, but I could be wrong.

how about the original one? does it more than 320GB
and how about the eSATA extender, which one do u recommend?

i just check the IDE HDD online, there only few 320GB left.

JMCD23

London, ON
reply to jacketfeng

It's the same size as the t10, but there's a hole in the middle which means it's a security bit. It's pretty stupid if you ask me

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

The box is out of waranty, you can just break off the pin in the middle with a small screwdriver, or just grab the screw with pliers.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON

said by HiVolt:

The box is out of waranty, you can just break off the pin in the middle with a small screwdriver, or just grab the screw with pliers.

i cant find the IDE HDD over 320GB now.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by jacketfeng:

said by HiVolt:

yeah exactly thats the problem... they're nearly obsolete.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

ablatt

join:2001-08-03
Toronto, ON

»www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdi···php?f=61

JMCD23

London, ON
reply to jacketfeng

»canadacomputers.com/product_info···d=006928

Also try NCIX.com, newegg.ca and tigerdirect.ca

Splainit

@rr.com
reply to HiVolt

You can find these hard drives at Fry's or Microcenter.

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by jacketfeng:

said by HiVolt:

yeah exactly thats the problem... they're nearly obsolete.

but can i use External Drives?
if i use External Drives what hardware do i need?

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON
reply to jacketfeng

can i use a sata to usb cable, and connect to my portable HDD?

Is that gonna work?

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to jacketfeng

I had no problems using an IDE to SATA interface when I had my 8300HD. Had a SATA 1TB drive in there. I sold the box when I ditched Cable TV.

Here is the exact converter I used: »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···DE2SAT25

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to jacketfeng

said by jacketfeng:

Yes I have added the external Western Digital 1TB DVR Expander to my 8300HD it's nice and quiet and I've had it now for about 3 years or so and it's been perfect ever since.

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/wes···386.aspx

Just keep in mind that it will reformat everything (internal/external) if you do install an external drive.

--
Telecommunications Act PART III s.27.(1) Every rate charged by a Canadian carrier for a telecommunications service shall be just and reasonable.

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON

No, adding an external drive doesn't touch any recordings stored on the internal drive. They're left safe and sound. I should know, I was at 98% capacity when I added a 500gb WD MyDVR Expander years ago!

Now, you cannot transport an external drive (or internal for that matter) from one 8300HD to another, as they are encrypted and locked to the specific unit.

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON
reply to Stewy

said by Stewy:

said by jacketfeng:

Yes I have added the external Western Digital 1TB DVR Expander to my 8300HD it's nice and quiet and I've had it now for about 3 years or so and it's been perfect ever since.

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/wes···386.aspx

Just keep in mind that it will reformat everything (internal/external) if you do install an external drive.

so i can buy a DVR Expander and just plug it in to the 8300HD.

is that a easiest way?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

That's the easiest way, and that way you will combine the space of your internal drive and the DVR extender.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON

said by HiVolt:

That's the easiest way, and that way you will combine the space of your internal drive and the DVR extender.

sounds good man

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON
reply to jacketfeng

can i use this one? bcuz this one is cheaper
»ncix.com/products/?sku=59038&vpn···0Inc.%2C

due to the floods from Thailand , all the HDD price are increasing fuck.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to Sunfox

said by Sunfox:

No, adding an external drive doesn't touch any recordings stored on the internal drive. They're left safe and sound. I should know, I was at 98% capacity when I added a 500gb WD MyDVR Expander years ago!

Does it not raid both disks into one and then format.
--
Telecommunications Act PART III s.27.(1) Every rate charged by a Canadian carrier for a telecommunications service shall be just and reasonable.

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON

said by Stewy:

said by Sunfox:

Does it not raid both disks into one and then format.

No, it doesn't. They are left independent.

JMCD23

London, ON
reply to jacketfeng

If you're still looking to do the internal drive, here is a super cheap price on an IDE drive. »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···690-L05A

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON

said by JMCD23:

If you're still looking to do the internal drive, here is a super cheap price on an IDE drive. »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···690-L05A

120 its not enough for me. thx

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to jacketfeng

Why are you guys suggesting old small IDE drives when I explained the proper solution in an earlier post on how to get a modern (and large) SATA drive installed internally?

JMCD23

London, ON
reply to jacketfeng

Why not for such a low price? The more options he has the better choice he can make, simple.

jacketfeng

Toronto, ON

i just bought a enclosure and plug my 500gb HDD to the PVR
its working good.

can i get the video file from my extenal HDD ,after i record the show?