uniqs
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
join:2011-12-05
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

[Internet] DVW3201B Flagler Fl. firwall settings

I Joined in order to monitor my connection but can not ping my IP.
I have have BH for 2 years with a different modem and recently upgraded to lightning and reluctantly transferred my Phone because I felt secure with the copper wire analog phone that was very reliable.
I do not have TV services and wanted to maintain my own router because I have it configured to my liking with IP cameras and emails of logs to my host. I evidently do not have a choice on the wireless and was pretty annoyed that it was left turned on after I was clear that i did not want it enabled. while test show I have the speed that was advertised the connection drops intermittently sometimes losing phone service as well, including at least once while on the phone to BH after waiting 15 minutes on hold for a tech ERRRGH.
Tech comes Sunday and determines that there is noise on the line from the house across the street and puts a filter on her line and we assume the issue is resolved but before enough time passes to know for sure I look out the window just after dark and there is a BH van. I first assume Wayne has returned because he left something and walk out to find it is a different tech and I greet him and ask whats up explaining what the previous technician had done. he thanks me and says that helps a lot the ladies phone service had died. I returned to work because I manage several sites and I am on the net at least 20 hrs a day later that night the drop outs start again and contiued this morning so I called again putting 15 minutes of time on my cel phone out of fear the home phone would drop the call again. a tech is scheduled to return tomorrow however I would like to moniter and document this because if the higher tier is less reliable than I don't want it.

I am using xp and have the firewall set correctly but can not find any documentation on this modem to set it correctly or completely disable the wireless , its useless to me anyhow because it does not reach as far as my old b/g netgear, can someone help me get the ping to working so I can monitor the connection

since this issue starte I have my PC Ethernet plugged directly into the modem although the way I had it before through my other router was working fine diff being when I was getting delays I couldn't see the cable disconnected notice because my router did not drop like this one is doing.

I also have some issues with my cameras no longer being viewable on my android but in the last three weeks been to busy to worry about it and since I havn't been going anywhere it was not an issue but I will need documentation to fix that as well and honestly I don't want to call and wait 15 minutes for a tech every time I need to do something I just want my old always on connection back and the ability to control it for goodness sake I am paying 85 bucks a month for less service and longer waits on hold eerrrrgh .
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Hey there...I'm at event tonight but will reply back after 1130.
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

Thank you very much I will await your reply
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rootsxrocks

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
First of all you can have your own router and because of your config I highly recommend you go that way anyway. All you need to do is have them bridge your modem or do it yourself. Just be sure to turn off the wireless before you bridge the device because once you do this your access to the modem will be restricted (thats normal). The only way to get the access back is to default the modem. As for the other issues we need to get that fixed so I want you to pm me in the morning with your contact info and I will be in touch. In the meantime also send me your IP and modem MAC and I will start the process tonight if you respond or first thing in the morning.

Thank you again for being so patient tonight. I had tickets to a local event and it went longer than I expected. Talk to you in the morning....
BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
Oh I will latch onto the docs for that modem and send them to you as well later in the day tomorrow.... That will help a bunch
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

Sent you a PM, I think or IM after being a vbulleton admin for a few years this forum feels like a chisel and hammer to write
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
LOL...no worries root. Stick with me and all this will be a past memory. I'm going to try and get everyone on the same page before your tech arrives tomorrow so with some good timing all this will get taken care of then...otherwise it may take a day or so but I promise you won't regret the extra day or two in effort
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

Got the Modem Bridged, and I am now able to ping and running smoke to monitor, Cameras are working again, funny thing is I had changed the password and been inside the advanced settings already, don't know how that happened it was set to user/user and I thought it needed a little better PW than that so created one, the PC tech reset the Modem turned off the wireless and firewall and bridged it. I had to leave a moment and came back to find another van at the house across the street Isabel, the neighbor says she is not getting all her HD channels she does have an older TV in the BR that she turns on occasionally and I think the tech was going to check it. I am getting half speed right now so I might have the router issue that you were talking about. I need to review the settings now.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
Hey root. Whats the make and model of that router and let me do some checking for ya real quick...
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

Its A ubee DVW3201B
rootsxrocks

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

DUH It just sunk in netgear wpn824 v2

X Digital X2
Premium Member
join:2011-11-28
Saint Petersburg, FL

X Digital X2 to rootsxrocks

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
Is your router/firewall set to block wan request?
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

rootsxrocks

rootsxrocks to X Digital X2

Premium Member

to X Digital X2
Respond to Ping on Internet Port is checked but Nat filtering is on if that's what you mean
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
Root please don't use those speed tests. For benchmarking and testing purposes until everything gets resolved use the on-net test only. Once everything is confirmed working then feel free to use whatever makes ya happy.
BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
said by rootsxrocks:

DUH It just sunk in netgear wpn824 v2

??
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

I first posted the Modem which is in the title of this thread and then realized you meant my router.

I don't know which test you are talking about.
the Brighthouse test shows 30 for some reason I don't believe it's accurate.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

It's accurate and it's the only test we'll use for benchmarking until everything is known working on-net

Use this »speedtest.bhn.net

Thanks...
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

I guess I am just confused as to the big difference in the results. that test shows what I want to see and a ping of 24ms but the smoke test was consistently 83 to 100 this afternoon. are these invalid monitoring I paid to use here ? I guess I am missing something . I came to this site to find a resource that did not have a conflict of interest like a bright house test would have .
Expand your moderator at work

X Digital X2
Premium Member
join:2011-11-28
Saint Petersburg, FL

X Digital X2 to rootsxrocks

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks

Re: [Internet] DVW3201B Flagler Fl. firwall settings

24ms on a smokeping would be like 3 hops away, that is inbound them pinging your home connection. try running a tracert to see what your outbound ms is.
Expand your moderator at work
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

Premium Member

to X Digital X2

Re: [Internet] DVW3201B Flagler Fl. firwall settings

»/r3/sm ··· a86abc9f
rootsxrocks

Premium Member

to X Digital X2
FROM www.his.com
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 43.379/45.361/49.597/2.215 ms
rootsxrocks

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

To the best of my Knowledge Bright house was through with me today and I don't know of any more issues that are being worked on specifically.
A site that deletes questions of why its test are not valid assessments of the quality when a Technician that claims to be an official employee of the ISP says they are not to be used really brings up trust issues.

what I do Know is that speed test are showing a regular rate that is 25% of what the advertised rate is.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
said by rootsxrocks:

I guess I am just confused as to the big difference in the results. that test shows what I want to see and a ping of 24ms but the smoke test was consistently 83 to 100 this afternoon. are these invalid monitoring I paid to use here ? I guess I am missing something . I came to this site to find a resource that did not have a conflict of interest like a bright house test would have .

Root I need you stay on a platform that I know is working and reliable until everything is confirmed resolved. I'll pm you going forward.
BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
said by rootsxrocks:

To the best of my Knowledge Bright house was through with me today and I don't know of any more issues that are being worked on specifically.
A site that deletes questions of why its test are not valid assessments of the quality when a Technician that claims to be an official employee of the ISP says they are not to be used really brings up trust issues.

what I do Know is that speed test are showing a regular rate that is 25% of what the advertised rate is.

Root I had nothing to do with your moderated posts. Not sure what happened there. Check your PM for system messages from DSLR as to why they deleted your posts. In the meantime I am going to pm you going forward and I will be in touch tomorrow.
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

been good so far but having choppy Youtube videos now bhn test show 39/4.8
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to rootsxrocks
Root if your tests come back ok the Youtube thing is Youtube. There isn't much that can be done about that. We have several threads here discussing it.
rootsxrocks
Premium Member
Palm Coast, FL

rootsxrocks

Premium Member

sorry for the long delay you know a happy customer with nothing to complain about is a quiet customer.
Bright house has been great the choppy youtube videos were a limitation on my PC's video card
Thank you so much for your help BHNtechXpert and read your PM's we look forward to seeing you on the crackercoast