share rss forum feed

kungpow

join:2002-10-06
Canada

Home alarm beeping

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi,

My home alarm system is beeping twice every 10 secs. I have pressed the 'exit' button on the lcd display to quiet it. It has stopped beeping but I think it will come back and the 'trouble' light is lit as well.

I think the battery needs to be replaced. Can someone confirm this and how do I replace the battery?

Is the battery the black box on the bottom left panel or the white DSC box in the AC outlet?

Thanks.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
The battery is the black box. The white one is a transformer.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to kungpow
»www.smarthome.com/manuals/7506_u ··· sers.pdf

See page 21 (it's marked as 17 in the user manual, but it's the 21st page if you type it in PDF).

It tells you EXACTLY what to do to know what the problem is.

Be aware the manual gives the instructions for different types of keyboards, so look up your keyboard in that guide.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to kungpow
Don't forget to call whoever monitors your alarm system and tell them you will be running a test before you start messing with it.
Otherwise you could be getting a call asking for your password and what is wrong pretty quickly after you start playing.

As far as replacing the battery (put it in test mode with your monitoring company) all you need to do is pull off the spade terminals and slide them onto a new one.

Don't you have someone (alarm co.) that maintains this for you?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by alfnoid:

Don't you have someone (alarm co.) that maintains this for you?

Yeah actually if it was linked, he should have received a call from the alarm company telling him what the problem is.

Alarms call out for problems as well. When we had a power outage for 24h, the alarm battery ran out and called the alarm company just before shutting off.

Then I got a call from the company telling me my alarm called out as the battery was running low.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to kungpow
That installation is an example of "Excellent" workmanship. I especially like the hole in the wall under the transformer plugged into the receptacle and how they just balled up the excess wire and stuffed it inside the enclosure.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to kungpow
Standard alarm guy procedure. They left enough mess so when someone opens the panel they get smacked in the face with wire.

DadeMurphy
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Danvers, MA
reply to Jack_in_VA
I also like how it appears the box is taped shut, rather than having any form of latch.
--
Most people don't think clearly when they're on fire.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to kungpow
Check to see if you have any wireless contacts. I had a system that had one wireless contact and when the battery in the contact transmitter ran low, the alarm warning signal beeped. The company monitoring my system replaced the contact transmitter battery at no charge. They might charge to change the alarm panel backup battery.

cableguyi7

join:2010-11-20
Richmond, BC
reply to kungpow
There seems to be a Burnt mark on top of the cabinet, on top of that heat sink, looks like something got really hot ? there's soot on the top.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by cableguyi7:

There seems to be a Burnt mark on top of the cabinet, on top of that heat sink, looks like something got really hot ? there's soot on the top.

Looks more like a reflection of the huge black battery under it.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to kungpow
said by kungpow:

Is the battery the black box on the bottom left panel or the white DSC box in the AC outlet?

Thanks.

The battery is the black "bulging” object in the bottom left corner of the alarm cabinet and judging by its size I would say it is a 12 volt 4 amp hour gellcell.

For a replacement search on-line for a distributor of Enersys “Genesis” batteries, that brand is a top-of-the-line alarm standby battery supplier.

For what it is worth, with that particular panel you can use either a 4 amp hour or a 7 amp hour battery.

Wayne

--
"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." - Charles A. Beard

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to cableguyi7
said by cableguyi7:

Thats normal convection dirt.

Wayne
--
"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." - Charles A. Beard

kungpow

join:2002-10-06
Canada
reply to kungpow
Thanks for everyone's help! I will take a look at the manual this weekend. Enjoy your holidays!

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to kungpow
If one of our techs had done an installation like that, he would have been written up, and the panel would be rewired.

FYI most domestic security systems do not come with a lock & cam, but with a screw that secures the panel closed. If the customer desires a lock it is a small extra charge.
Additionally the power supply would be located in another room not next to the actual panel, using a 2 conductor wire.

One of the posters also noted what appears to be a soot on the top of the panel, and that is caused by the heat sink.
--
Getting it Done.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to jeffmoss26
said by jeffmoss26:

Standard alarm guy procedure. They left enough mess so when someone opens the panel they get smacked in the face with wire.

Cable monster threw up inside the box and then closed the box so no one would see what he had done.
--
"Saying something in another language that you don't think the other person understands is just saying that you're a pussy and are too afraid to say it in English." --Harddrive

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to kungpow
yeah most panels seem to be secured with the standard #2 phillips screwdriver model of lock!

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to kungpow
It looks like the there is something besides the alarm plugged into the transformer. Doorbell? At least the wiring between the alarm panel and the transformer is correct! I frequently see 22 ga wire used.

The reason why the alarm company didn't call you is because the phone line is not connected (see the 4 empty slots to the left of the EGND terminal.) I sure hope you aren't paying for a monitoring service.

Personally I would not unplug the alarm to change the battery, if you do you will have to set the time (or else it will continue to beep and show a trouble condition -- for "loss of clock") You will need the master code to set the clock.

--
PRescott7-2097