Search similar:

uniqs

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to MxxCon

to MxxCon

Re: [iO] Cablevision removing Universal Sports Channel 110 on 1/

Indeed, seems like a small segment of the viewing audience watches it much less knew it existed. Only 3 people in this thread alone watches it. While it may appear there's a huge following for Universal Sports as CVInfoGuy mentioned earlier with tons of phone calls (we only have his word to go on here), in reality there isn't and won't be missed much by the majority of us. Given that, most of us don't want Cablevision to pay NBC to readd it either.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to kickass69

to kickass69
Almost guarantee that Cablevision wants it on a sports package (where it belongs) and NBC/Comcast wants it on basic.
mws192
join:2007-09-11

mws192

said by Jmartz0:

Almost guarantee that Cablevision wants it on a sports package (where it belongs) and NBC/Comcast wants it on basic.

Comcast has allowed sports tier placement for other providers in recent deals, like their one with DirecTV. »www.universalsports.com/ ··· 654.html
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

said by mws192:

said by Jmartz0:

Comcast has allowed sports tier placement for other providers in recent deals, like their one with DirecTV. »www.universalsports.com/ ··· 654.html

Then there should be no reason for Cablevision not to have it.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by RemyM:

said by mws192:

said by Jmartz0:

Look what happened with Tennis Channel, same thing, these sports channels think thay can ask any price, Verizon also is dropping Universal Sports.
RemyM
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

Tennis Channel was all about placement, they didn't want to be on a sports tier. Cablevision has added every channel that was willing to be in the sport pak.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to RemyM

to RemyM
said by RemyM:

Depends on how much Comcast wants for the channel. Plus, this channel is likely part of an overall larger relationship (other Comcast owned nets like CNBC, MSNBC, USA, VS, ShopNBC, Golf Channel, etc.; plus local stations like WNBC, WNJU and WCAU).

It's in Cablevision's best long-term interest to hold out and collectively negotiate for the package. Comcast is the party that wants to unilaterally change the terms of the relationship, not Cablevision.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to kickass69

to kickass69
Don't worry, Cablevision will add it eventually because they are going to carry Olympics coverage on it. We will probably get it as a last minute add right before summer.

mal
@optonline.net

mal to kickass69

Anon

to kickass69
It's one of the handful of channels I actually watch. It's the only channel that carries any quality volleyball, so I will be hugely disappointed if it's gone.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
It's one of those channels that whenever you turn it on, there always seems to be a commercial on. But it does carry volleyball games, figure skating, skiing, triathlons, and gymnastics a lot. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to show classic college football games, showcasing NFL pros back in the day.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
it's gone from OTA

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

kickass69

As it's gone from Cablevision's lineup as well. Again just a small segment of the CV viewing audience watched it, no big loss for most of us.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by kickass69:

As it its from Cablevision's lineup. Again just a small segment of the CV viewing audience watched it, no big loss for most of us.

Don't have CV tv but yeah no big lost.

koos
@optonline.net

koos

Anon

heh.,., is my bill getting discounted??? i watched this channel mostly for skiing but also for all the other sports that are not broadcast anywhere else - ping-pong, badminton, volley ball, rugby, swimming, ice skating, skateboarding, bmx and ohhh yeah SKIING! the idea of having to pay xyz $'s for a bunch of channels when i'm only interested in one is bahh.,., I want my kungfu HD back!!!

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Why would your bill get discounted? Universal Sports was broadcast over-the-air by WNBC and re-transmitted by Cablevision. As of 1/1, NBC removed the channel from WNBC's over-the-air feed. Then, NBC re-launched the channel as a cable/satellite only offering (for additional compensation). As far as I know, DirecTV is the only provider to have picked it up so far.

My guess is that maybe interest in the channel will pick up a bit once the Olympics get closer.
RemyM
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to koos

to koos
»latimesblogs.latimes.com ··· way.html

Prior to Jan. 1, Universal Sports, which is majority owned by InterMedia Partners — with Comcast's NBCUniversal holding a small stake — was offered to distributors for free. The channel was not technically a cable channel but instead was a digital broadcast channel.

Now, Universal Sports wants to be paid by distributors for carriage and is being offered as a stand-alone cable network. So far, satellite broadcaster DirecTV is the only multichannel video program distributor to have cut a deal with the channel, but its officers say they are confident that they'll be in 15 million to 20 million homes by the end of 2012. Previously, the channel was available in about 40 million homes.

Unlike many sports channels, Universal Sports is not asking distributors to carry the network on their most popular programming package, typically known as expanded basic or digital. Instead, it is seeking to be part of specialty packages that consumers pay extra to receive if they want the channel.

"We're not looking at this as a network that has to be carried everywhere or not at all," said Universal Sports Chief Executive David Sternberg.

Hans
@verizon.net

Hans

Anon

I'm really bummed. This channel carried lots of Cycling from Europe. This was definitely a Top 10 channel for me. In fact, it was because of this one channel that I never switched from CV to FIOS (I already use FIOS for Phone and Internet).

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by Hans :

I'm really bummed. This channel carried lots of Cycling from Europe. This was definitely a Top 10 channel for me. In fact, it was because of this one channel that I never switched from CV to FIOS (I already use FIOS for Phone and Internet).

Why? Fios had it too up until Jan 1