share rss forum feed

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to BronsCon

Re: [Rant] Leaving Comcast..... if they'll let me go...

Note to all (general statement not directed at anyone):

Can we stop the back and forth insinuations now, please? There really are better ways to express an opinion of how one thinks it all works than to imply another person may be lying.

This seems far more relevant to the topic:

This is being dealt with. There is a small group of people at Comcast who do things right and they all seem to work at my local SC.

Hopefully BronsCon and Comcast can sort this all out now.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Thank you.

We'll see about getting it all sorted out, if I actually get a call back from this girl, it will be the first time all year they've actually returned a call when they said they would. Fingers crossed

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BronsCon
"In January of 2010 I got roped into a 2 year contract with the promise of a discount (which I received) and a $250 Visa card to be mailed after 90 days of service) which I, as of yet, have not received. Comcast even verified that it was never sent on three separate occasions and, on all three occasions, the rep promised to have a supervisor call me back within 24-48hr. Never got any of those calls. That's a direct violation of the terms of the 2 year contract, yet they're still insisting in trying to charge me a cancellation fee. That's f-up #1."

That same darn thing happened to me in 2009, I signed up for a tripple play that had $200 rebate check after 90 days, waited 90 days, then one more month, nothing, called to ask about it they claimed I never signed my contract, yes I did, it was even faxed to them not mailed, then they mysteriously found it, then they claimed I wasn't eligible for it because I had a tivo, talk about fishing for excuses, I told them yeah thats in ADDITION to the hardware in the contract, lady got snippy with me about it said they'd look into it, 2 months later called again, this time the person claimed I refused the check and it cant be resent, told them I never got it to start with and I called a couple months prior asking where it was! they claimed they had no record of that ugh...... took it all the way to executive complaints and mysteriously the check showed up within 3 days

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Interesting story. I wonder if my exchanging my DVR in the first month because they said there was a problem with the first one they gave me had anything to do with it. They saw an equipment return and voided the incentive card?

Well, I should find out today for sure.

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
why not just deal directly with executive customer support?

i'm doing it for the second time this year, after Comcast magically failed to send me the $140 they owed me and after the CSR rep lied she gave me free install only to see it on the bill last week!

You'll mostly likely have someone local, who knows what they're doing, call you up and talk to you then get on it and help you fix whatever the problem is. I've dealt with them 3 times in as many years and have always found them competent

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
That is my next step if the girl from the local SC is unhelpful. In my experience my local SC is staffed with competent people, so I'm hoping I won't have to do that.

turkeyfoot

@scansafe.net

1 edit
What is SC ?

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA

1 edit
said by turkeyfoot :

What is SC ?

Service Center

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to BronsCon
I haven't been so excited waiting to hear what your local office says. Something must be wrong with me. But I know how comcast is from horrible past experiences personally, family members, and a few friends.

I have my fingers crossed for you, and hope you get some good news.
Your lucky you have a decent local office. My local office is in a college town (UVA) and you talk about turn around in that office. Most are only there for a pay check it seems. And don't know half of what I would expect a "dedicated company man" employee should know.
That's why earlier I suggested calling the Pa. number and skip talking to the local's.

Fortunately I was one of two beta testers for them when they slid in here when Adelphia went down, and I know the engineers quite well. In fact they are just about the only original employees there since comast took over the system many years ago.

By the way love the screen shot you posted! That was epic!

Keep us posted
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Yeah, both SC's I visited in MI when I lived there sucked pretty bad. They were unadorned hole in the wall offices with staff to match. The one by me now is really nice inside and I think that might have some correlation to the cheerful and productive people working there.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
reply to BronsCon
SC was supposed to call at 5:15. It's 6, their office is closed, and my wife wants me home.

Robotics: I'll call HQ in the morning, thanks for the number. Good thing I wasn't holding my breath, eh?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
FWIW, brianroberts@comcast.net gets you to the same people as that number. You would get a call back within 24hrs.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to BronsCon
Sorry to hear they didn't return the call.

I just found another number for them... still had it in my address book on my phone. It should get you right to the desk of the person you need to talk to.

Its 215 665-1700. Cant remember the ladys name but she was great to deal with.

Good luck!
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to neufuse
said by neufuse:

"In January of 2010 I got roped into a 2 year contract with the promise of a discount (which I received) and a $250 Visa card to be mailed after 90 days of service) which I, as of yet, have not received....

That same darn thing happened to me in 2009, I signed up for a triple play that had $200 rebate check after 90 days, waited 90 days, then one more month, nothing, called to ask about it they claimed I never signed my contract....

I try to never do those deals because i don't want to get ulcers when the company does things like that.

But I am curious: You were burned by Comcast in 2009 yet willingly signed up for a similar offer in 2010?

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
The first bit of that, he was quoting me. The second paragraph is his story, adding to mine.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
reply to Robotics
Thanks for the info. Look for a PM from me sometime today on an unrelated matter

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

1 recommendation

reply to BronsCon
Let me open with this: You've been ill-used by Comcast, IMO. No question. But you...well... kind of invited it, in a way, and here's how:

Inside wiring. I don't care what the provider says: In the end the inside stuff either is or someday will be your responsibility. You let them get away with a shoddy install (which probably was purely a mistake) and then expected the provider to fix your inside wiring issue long after your service was up-and-running, by which you effectively had signed-off on the installation.

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings: But make the same mistake with SBC, and you'll get the same result.

Failure to pay your bill. When you have a credit coming: Unless a CSR explicitly tells you "pay only such-and-such amount," never depend on corrections that will allegedly result in a credit until you actually see the credit show up. Yeah, it may mean you'll be out $XXX until the next billing cycle, but you'll have less heartburn in the long run.

Again: Make the same mistake with SBC and you'll get equally poor results. (Ask me how I know.)

Good luck. If my experience with SBC is any guide: You'll need it.

Jim

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by jseymour:

Failure to pay your bill. When you have a credit coming: Unless a CSR explicitly tells you "pay only such-and-such amount," never depend on corrections that will allegedly result in a credit until you actually see the credit show up. Yeah, it may mean you'll be out $XXX until the next billing cycle, but you'll have less heartburn in the long run.

Yep. Exactly. Verbal "you'll get a credit" statements aren't a legally binding reason for you to not pay a bill.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to jseymour
First of all, in my building, all wiring leading to the jack (or splitter if there are two or more jacks -- but there's only one in my unit) is supposed to be owned and maintained by Comcast. Since I only have one jack -- and I don't really even have that, a wire that comes through my bedroom wall, runs along the baseboard, then through the wall into my living room, then to a splitter. That means I should only be responsible for the cables on the output end of that splitter.

Yes, I know that typically the cable leading up to the grounding block to which the customer's cable connects is the last thing Comcast owns and maintains. Since the cable node is building-mounted here, grounding is done there and there are no individual grounding blocks, thus the nonstandard arrangement with my building, wherein Comcast owns and maintains everything up to the first user connection (splitter or jack in the unit).

My bad cable? Outside, 15 feet below my unit, a good 40ft before that splitter. That's supposed to be Comcast's responsibility.

Aside from that, what the provider says DOES matter. If the provider says it should be fixed at no charge, then proceeds to charge for fixing it, there's a problem. Also, AT&T (they haven't been SBC in years) has the same agreement in my building; they own the wiring to the jack. Astound (cable and phone, reselling both AT&T and Comcast services) has the same, as well.

Further, I've never had a problem with AT&T regarding credits. They've always, over the past 11 years of which I've been their customer, followed through with their word. I do admit that not paying that bill (at leas not looking at the next bill right when it came out) was my mistake, I said so in my original post. However, this has never been an issue for me with AT&T in 11 years as a wireless customer and a combined 5 years as a DSL subscriber at various locations.

Further to my point, AT&T is willing to make payment arrangements with me when things come up; Comcast is not. Ask *me* how *I* know.

If my experience with AT&T is any guide, I've been doing fine with them for 11 years now.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by jseymour:

Yep. Exactly. Verbal "you'll get a credit" statements aren't a legally binding reason for you to not pay a bill.

Which I acknowledged as my own mistake in my original post.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to BronsCon
I'd also like to add that I have done commercial low voltage installations professionally. That includes CAT5/6, CAT3 (phone), and cable wiring, amongst other things. I've always run my own cable and phone wiring in my homes, when possible (which has been every instance up until this apartment).

The reason I did not inspect (and replace) this cabling myself is that it is not my cabling to replace (nor does it belong to the apartment I live in, per the agreement between Comcast and my property manager), it is Comcast's cable and I would have been tampering with Comcast's equipment by replacing it. The same applies to AT&T's wiring, as well as all wiring for Astound (which I won't concern myself with since they don't provide my services).

I won't have this issue with AT&T, for certain, because it is already noted in the work order that a new line will need to be run to my unit due to damage to the existing line that occurred while maintenance was preparing the apartment for me to move in. By damage, I mean if you take the jack off the wall, there's no wire there.

More to the point, I have a contact at AT&T with whom I've done business for the last 5 years and he's always made sure I'm taken care of.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
Inside wiring is not owned by comcast. from the tap to your unit is owned by your landlord. Comcast does not own the inside cable even in a apartment building.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Not when there's a written agreement between Comcast and my landlord stating otherwise.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
No its federal law. No contract over rides federal law. just go to the fcc site and read up on inside cabling law.
Expand your moderator at work

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit
reply to rody_44

Re: [Rant] Leaving Comcast..... if they'll let me go...

10. Section 16(d) of the Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992
(the "1992 Cable Act"), codified at Section 624(i) of the Communications Act, requires the Commission
to "prescribe rules concerning the disposition, after a subscriber terminates service, of any cable installed
by the cable operator within the premises of such subscriber." In February 1993, the Commission issued
a Report and Order implementing Section 624(i) (the "Cable Wiring Order"). The Cable Wiring Order
provided that when a subscriber voluntarily terminates cable service, the operator is required, if it proposes
to remove the wiring, to inform the subscriber: (1) that he or she may purchase the wire; and (2) what
the cost per-foot charge is. If the subscriber declined to purchase the home wiring, the operator was
required to remove it within 30 days or make no subsequent attempt to remove it or to restrict its use.
These rules were designed to advance Section 624(i)'s goals of avoiding the disruption of having the
wiring removed and permitting subscribers to use the wiring with an alternative video service provider.
-----

Is there something newer available that I'm not seeing? That seems to imply that if it's installed by the cable co, it's owned by the cable co unless the resident buys it.

EDIT:
Duh, if I read the whole document I night find what I'm looking for.

Edit 2:
Found it. The landlord CAN own it, but does not HAVE to own it. In my case, they do not.

58. In both the building-by-building and unit-by-unit approaches, the MDU owner will have
the initial option to negotiate for ownership and control of the home run wiring because the property
owner is responsible for the common areas of a building, including safety and security concerns,
compliance with building and electrical codes, maintaining the aesthetics of the building and balancing
the concerns of all of the residents. Moreover, vesting ownership of the home run wiring in the MDU
owner, as opposed to the alternative service provider, will reduce future transaction costs since the above
procedures will not need to be repeated if service is subsequently switched again. Nevertheless, we
recognize that some MDU owners may not want to own the home run wiring in their buildings; in such
cases, the MDU owner may permit the alternative service provider to purchase the wiring.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by BronsCon:

10. Section 16(d) of the Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992
(the "1992 Cable Act"), codified at Section 624(i) of the Communications Act, requires the Commission
to "prescribe rules concerning the disposition, after a subscriber terminates service, of any cable installed
by the cable operator within the premises of such subscriber." In February 1993, the Commission issued
a Report and Order implementing Section 624(i) (the "Cable Wiring Order"). The Cable Wiring Order
provided that when a subscriber voluntarily terminates cable service, the operator is required, if it proposes
to remove the wiring, to inform the subscriber: (1) that he or she may purchase the wire; and (2) what
the cost per-foot charge is. If the subscriber declined to purchase the home wiring, the operator was
required to remove it within 30 days or make no subsequent attempt to remove it or to restrict its use.
These rules were designed to advance Section 624(i)'s goals of avoiding the disruption of having the
wiring removed and permitting subscribers to use the wiring with an alternative video service provider.
-----

Is there something newer available that I'm not seeing? That seems to imply that if it's installed by the cable co, it's owned by the cable co unless the resident buys it.

in your case, the landlord must have bought it by then. specially since it's an apartment and tearing it out would cost money...and as you said, it's RG59....that cable must have been there and bought a long time already.

Comcast must be crazy to pull all that cable if your landlord didn't pay for it. Not to mention, cable is dirt cheap in install costs, specially in bulk. It makes more sense to just leave it there too.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
An 8 foot section of a 120 foot run was RG59. The rest was RG6.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by BronsCon:

An 8 foot section of a 120 foot run was RG59. The rest was RG6.

was that 8' section buried or inaccessible?