koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit

Can VT get Spam call blocking option like Google Voice has?

Do you have an option for us to block unwanted spam / telemarketer / fake survey calls?

Typical calls that we receive: Lower your interest rates (card services), carpet cleaning, fake political polling (I know real political calls are not blockable).

All of my numbers are confirmed to be on the government Do Not Call list.

I also have Google Voice and that service has a "block spam" option.... Google gets a list of known spam numbers and caller IDs and users can elect to block calls from those numbers.

»support.google.com/voice/bin/ans···r=115089

I have been getting a couple of calls a day from these numbers. I search for the numbers online and they are listed on 800notes.com or whocallsme.com with dozens of complaints.

Do you have a list that you can subscribe to like Google does so that we can more effectively stop the incoming spam calls?
--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

1 edit

Re: Can VT get a spam call blocking option like Google Voice has

VT has a rather rich set of call routing features that I rely on quite heavily. Personally, I would rather do that than have a one-click option so that I am not at their mercy to get it right.

With the VT features I cast a wide net and send a lot of out of area calls to voicemail (on the chance they are legit calls - they can leave a message). Legit numbers from those areas get whitelisted. Calls that get through only get through once because I will then block them individually. Sometimes I get curious or playful and will forward to my cell so I can determine who they are and/or 'chat' with them for a while.

Anon callers are set to authenticate (enter a few digits) to weed out the anon robocallers.

I understand why you would ask for this feature, but for me this is flexible and requires decreasing maintenance over time. I suppose I also have my doubts about how complete the GV list would be and the possibility of false positives.

---
edit: fixed my horrible grammar.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone
Thanks. I've had VT for nearly 5 years. I have tried all the options. Lately there's a big increase in calls from numbers that many people have reported as call spam. I do block each number that calls in, but I still get about 1 to 2 calls a day that are pure junk. I'll post separately about using the existing tools.

I'm still interested in ViaTalk getting its own list of spam numbers and offering us options to make use of the list (block, disconnected, voicemail, authenticate), rather than have the calls from numbers on the spam list just ring on our phones.
--

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone
reply to unknvoip
To illustrate that I'm using VT's tools, I have the following enabled:

Incoming Call Routing

• Route by Caller ID Number: about 250 numbers entered

• Route by Pattern Matching Filters: 13 patterns entered

• Route by Caller ID Name: 20 patterns entered

Anonymous Call Routing: currently set to Authenticate
--

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
My stats:

* Route by number: 64
* Route by pattern match: 28
* Route by name: 15

I tend to create a pattern match when I see calls from the same area happening more often.

Like I said I understand why you would want your requested feature, just that I prefer this method for now. Did you click on the submit a suggestion link in the VT Beta Lab page? Do that and I will support you by requesting the same thing. It would be a nice addition to the tool chest.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Thanks for the idea. I went to the VT Beta Lab page and entered the suggestion. »cp.viatalk.com/viatalk/cp/lab

I don't know how or if my submission will show up for others to see.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
Rochester, NY
It won't, I was just thinking if more than one of us made a similar suggestion, it might make their development radar.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
gotcha. thanks