All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

texasrebel
@sbcglobal.net

texasrebel to ajcherry

Anon

to ajcherry

Re: Motorola NVG510 owners - any DNS problems?

I've had this happen to me many times.. The service light is blinking green for hours and never goes solid. Hit the Diagnostics link and the modem will reset itself..

I've also noticed that I'm getting a high rate or Errored Seconds along with CRC errors on the downstream.

sadATTpatron
@sbcglobal.net

sadATTpatron

Anon

Actually TexR I think that's a different problem. The DNS thing happens despite rock solid physical connections. I have exactly this problem with the same log output even though I am literally kitty corner across the street from the telephone switching office and my lights are always solid green. It is apparently some firmware glitch inside the NVG510 modems, which might or might not involve the modem just timing out on waiting for the DNS servers to provide an IP address. You can't control the the name server defaults and it probably wouldn't help if you could since all DNS servers are going to have occasional delays.

dddane
join:2002-01-10
Chicago, IL

dddane to texasrebel

to texasrebel
i'm on AT&T with this model and posted in the ATT direct forum... someone responded saying they think this is a known issue with this motorola and they are awaiting a fix.

seems absurd that they don't know more about this issue. they're wasting my time and theirs. at this point i've been downgraded in speed and i have to wonder if that was even necessary

it was getting sub-par connectivity before but now seems OK... but oddly the connection wasn't ever "down" it was just getting less than provisioned speeds so everything would come to a standstill because the modem forces you to click override in the browser... so regardless of if the connection is having issues they're causing their own issues with this software it's running

this modem seems horrible..

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

Since I put the DNS numbers in mine its been flying and no errors.
River24
join:2012-01-24

River24 to texasrebel

to texasrebel
I'm inn the Sac Area - and that's the same IP I'm having an issue with. I called ATT 2 days ago and was told "No one else is having an issue in your area..." Why does that not surprise me... A new modem should arrive tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'm getting into the firmware and fix it myself.