spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stangman86gt

join:2007-02-06

[4G] att 4g with no contract?

Well ATT apparently snuck in and decided my small town should get hspa+.

However, I don't want to be stuck into a 2yr contract with att for the 4g service(using verizon 3g right now for home internet). If my knowledge is correct, I can buy the modem outright, and just sign up for the service and only pay some activation fee without a contract.

Am I correct? Or do I have to sign the 2yr contract(in which case I won't do it)?

thx,
mike

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Yes you can sign up without a contract but you'll pay more for the modem.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to stangman86gt
said by stangman86gt:

Well ATT apparently snuck in and decided my small town should get hspa+.

However, I don't want to be stuck into a 2yr contract with att for the 4g service(using verizon 3g right now for home internet). If my knowledge is correct, I can buy the modem outright, and just sign up for the service and only pay some activation fee without a contract.

Am I correct? Or do I have to sign the 2yr contract(in which case I won't do it)?

thx,
mike

Don't buy the modem from them outright they will charge full retail pricing which is ridiculous. I would hit up ebay and find an HSDPA+ enabled usb stick or mifi. Then call them and start up service or go into a store and take care of it. Since you are bringing your own equipment you will start on no contract.

I would also recommend a cradlepoint router to go with the usb modem.

stangman86gt

join:2007-02-06
one step ahead of you =)...

Already bought the modem off of ebay for 30 bucks, and i have a mbr1000 router already hehe.

and ontop of all that, i already have a directional antenna that does the 700mhz range, but i probably won't need to be using this since i get such good reception already through att.

thx for all the replies, i should be getting my modem tomorrow *crosses fingers* wish me luck...then i can get rid of this verizon 3g crap i have right now.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
said by stangman86gt:

one step ahead of you =)...

Already bought the modem off of ebay for 30 bucks, and i have a mbr1000 router already hehe.

and ontop of all that, i already have a directional antenna that does the 700mhz range, but i probably won't need to be using this since i get such good reception already through att.

thx for all the replies, i should be getting my modem tomorrow *crosses fingers* wish me luck...then i can get rid of this verizon 3g crap i have right now.

Personally I would get a newer router than the MBR1000. I had the MBR900 on Verizon with a 4G Pantech UML290 card and it would disconnect all the time and everything was up to date it's just that the router was not specifically made for 4G cards.

I replaced it the MBR95 which just came out and specifically made for LTE devices and I hardly ever get any disconnects anymore and the connection is a lot more stable. I would consider you switch the 1000 out for a MBR1400.

caribconsult
Premium
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
Reviews:
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to stangman86gt
I recently switched from Sprint 3G to AT&T 4G. I have a Cradlepoint CTR500 router and I downloaded all the recommended updates for it from CP's site, and operation was extremely erratic, with frequent disconnects, hardware crashes, etc.

None of this happened when I used the AT&T connection manager software on my laptop, so I abandoned the router and put the card (Sierra U313) in the laptop and engaged ICS and shared it out on my LAN. No problems at all, except it required the use of the laptop as a dedicated host, and software firewalls all around.

About a week ago I noticed the service had upgraded from HSPA+ to LTE (the data light had changed from blue to green), so out of curiosity I put the router back up and plugged the card in. It fired up immediately. It has been running steadily now for going on 7 days without a burp, speeds are as good as with the software/laptop combo, and of course, the router is way preferable to ICS and software firewalls.

I have no explanation for this, neither does tech support at CP, with whom I have been having a running conversation about this.

I don't know what your local AT&T store offers, but the Sierra is an excellent card and cost me $50 after the rebate which I consider fairly reasonable. The 5Gb cap is annoying, but since I was paying 70/month for an unlimited account to Sprint (via Millenicom), I can have 7Gb with AT&T for the same money and WAY faster speeds.
--
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G in dedicated host on laptop, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, Comodo firewall andFireFox everywhere.