Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joetxndallas

join:2007-10-24
Flower Mound, TX

Amber Moca light on ONT?

Greetings,

I'm trying to diagnose some trouble I'm having with VOD (they're sending out a replacement router). I notice after hanging up with support that there is and amber "Moca" light on the ONT. Sometimes steady, sometimes flashing, and it goes green very sporadically. Is this a sign of problems "in front of" the ONT, or between the ONT and my router, or is it hard to say? Incidentally, the WAN coax light on the router is typically amber as well.

Thanks for any insight.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
Found this reply from nycdave who is one of the most knowledgable FIOS users here.

"If the MoCA LED on the ONT is yellow (or orange to you), it indicates a MoCA WAN data rate of less than 180Mbps. If it was red, you would have no connection between the ONT and the BHR. More than likely you have a bad coax run or a bad barrel on the coax/splitter feeding the BHR."

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to joetxndallas
Click for full size
Not sure what ONT you have, but here is a picture of my ONT with the status of various lights on the ONT. Might want to check your splitters (if you have) and cabling from ONT to Router.

joetxndallas

Flower Mound, TX
reply to joetxndallas
Thanks for both replies. I was hoping the problem might be between the road and the ONT, since I would think Verizon would have to fix that no charge. They want to charge me to troubleshoot/recable in the house. Maybe I can narrow it down:

BHR is a router, right?

I'm not sure I can run coax where it already is run, but I can probably swap out pieces until I figure out what went bad. If I replace the coax from the PDI (?) (just 6 inches from the ONT, last thing the coax comes out of before going into the wall, then replace the splitter that it goes to, then the coax from the splitter to the router - will that be enough? (my thinking is that since all STBs exhibit problems, it probably isn't the coax going to the STBs - is that a safe bet?) Lastly, what kind of splitter do I need to look for? I think it currently is a 1-to-3, with a 1-to-2 chained off one of the legs heading to one end of the house.

Thanks again!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by joetxndallas:

there is an amber "Moca" light on the ONT. Sometimes steady, sometimes flashing, and it goes green very sporadically. Is this a sign of problems "in front of" the ONT, or between the ONT and my router, or is it hard to say?

It's an indication of a problem between the ONT and your router. It could be one of three things:
•Bad ONT
•Bad coax/splitter/connections
•Bad router
said by joetxndallas:

BHR is a router, right?

Yes. BHR stands for Broadband Home Router
said by joetxndallas:

If I replace the coax from the PDI (?) (just 6 inches from the ONT, last thing the coax comes out of before going into the wall

Not sure what you're calling "the PDI". Could that be a ground block? PDI makes splitters and other coax accessories, but that doesn't sound like a splitter. You should check all coax connections to make sure they're tight including the one inside the ONT.
said by joetxndallas:

my thinking is that since all STBs exhibit problems, it probably isn't the coax going to the STBs - is that a safe bet?

Not a safe bet.
All STBs share the internet connection through the router, so if the WAN connection between the ONT and the router is flaky, VOD will be flaky on all the STBs.
said by joetxndallas:

what kind of splitter do I need to look for? I think it currently is a 1-to-3, with a 1-to-2 chained off one of the legs heading to one end of the house.

Splitters need to be rated a minimum of 1Ghz.

It's best to have only a single splitter, but sometimes that's not practical.

Which splitter is your router connected to? It would be best if it's connected to the 1x3.

Are all your coax runs RG6?

One thing can try is switching your WAN connection from coax to ethernet and avoid using MOCA WAN.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

joetxndallas

Flower Mound, TX
Thanks for the continued help.

I think I'll try to get a splitter from the Verizon store. I've had good luck in the past there.

The router is connected to the 1x3. As a matter of fact, I can just remove the other 1x2 for testing purposes.

Most of the runs are RG6, but there are a couple that aren't (where Verizon just used an existing run).

I'll check out the link on switching the WAN connection to ethernet.

Thanks again.

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
If you disconnect outputs of the splitter(s) you need to provide a 75 ohm termination for each unused port to properly verify functionality.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to joetxndallas
said by joetxndallas:

Greetings,

I'm trying to diagnose some trouble I'm having with VOD (they're sending out a replacement router). I notice after hanging up with support that there is and amber "Moca" light on the ONT.
Thanks for any insight.

Had a similar problem about 6 weeks ago, replacing the router solved my issues...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

Acc708

join:2008-06-28

1 recommendation

reply to joetxndallas
If you can, take the router to the ont and connect it directly with a short piece of coax. If the light goes green and stays green, it's neither the router nor the ont. If it doesn't remain green, then you either have a bad router or ont, neither of which should be billable to you. This will at least eliminate the house wiring from the equation.

joetxndallas

Flower Mound, TX
reply to joetxndallas
Sorry for the delay - spent most of the day in the attic! Got the new router and it didn't help. Swapped out splitters - no help. I replaced each line of coax one at a time (I only have one extremely long piece of coax) - no help. So, unless there are multiple bad runs (and this just happened all of a sudden after 3.5 years of fios tv), then I think it must be the ONT. They're coming out tomorrow, so we'll see.

Thanks again.

joetxndallas

Flower Mound, TX
reply to joetxndallas
Tech just left. 3 minutes to take the amplifier out of the mix (what I was call the "PDI" earlier, 10 minutes to test everything - fixed!

(many months to come of paying for the extra router which will already have been returned - priceless!)

Thanks again to everyone.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
said by joetxndallas:

Tech just left. 3 minutes to take the amplifier out of the mix (what I was call the "PDI" earlier, 10 minutes to test everything - fixed!

(many months to come of paying for the extra router which will already have been returned - priceless!)

Thanks again to everyone.

Glad to hear you are all fixed and good to go. Enjoy your FIOS!

joetxndallas

Flower Mound, TX
reply to joetxndallas
Last question (I hope). Since the router wasn't the problem - should I keep the old (westell a90 - 9100em15) router or use the new one (actiontec m1424-wr)?

sjfiostech

join:2008-07-29
Medford, NJ
reply to joetxndallas
said by joetxndallas:

Amplifiers are good for one thing....amplifying problems!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to joetxndallas
said by joetxndallas:

should I keep the old (westell a90 - 9100em15) router or use the new one (actiontec m1424-wr)?

That depends on the rev. level of the Actiontec.

If the Actiontec is a rev. F, I'd say keep it, otherwise, I'd be inclined to keep the Westell.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

joetxndallas

Flower Mound, TX
It's a rev. F - I guess I'll give it a whirl. Thanks