share rss forum feed

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1

New Home Phone Connect service... no internet needed

Gamma adjusted for visibility
I hope this is okay to post here, its not strictly voip related. I went to Verizon Wireless today with some friends who were getting new phones and I saw this in the store. What interested me was that no broadband internet is required. I've included some photos so you can see it. Could this be a move by Verizon to compete with retail voip devices like Ooma or Vonage? Since it appears to work on their cellular network, you could use it a mobile home or on-the-go like a cellphone only using a regular pots phone instead.

Here's a link for details: »www.verizonwireless.com/verizon- ··· ct.shtml

--
If I can't inform, at least I can entertain...

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
Pretty sure other similar devices (bridging cellular to a home-style handset) have been around for a while...

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Click for full size

said by OmagicQ:

I hope this is okay to post here, its not strictly voip related.

Ah, but it IS related to VoIP in the same sense that Sylvester is related to Tweety.

--------------------------------------------------

Yes,Verizon is late to the party.

»www.smithgear.com/bluetooth-land ··· ine.html

»www.cellularhomephones.com/

»www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG76 ··· 04X708T4

»www.vtechphones.com/vtechphones/ ··· to-cell/

»www.amazon.com/AT-Digital-BlueTo ··· 00RPT2QQ

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Resource-Ar ··· 00050039

»www.cobra.com/detail/cobra-phone ··· logy.cfm

»telephones.att.com/att/index.cfm ··· uetooth/

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to OmagicQ
I used a Telular device for years before going 100% VoIP.
Verizon is definitely not offering anything special. There are many more full featured units out there, and you're not locked to HellRizon.
»www.telular.com/sx7t-gsm.asp
This unit lets you use 3G data via ethernet. They also have a device available that uses old school CDMA.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

mel2000

join:2008-03-05
Chicago, IL
reply to PX Eliezer70
Their marketing video shamelessly mischaracterizes VoIP to their advantage. It's the cheapest solution though.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to OmagicQ
FYI: $19.95 per month unlimited.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR VERIZON WIRELESS HOME PHONE CONNECT ADAPTOR DEVICE ("Device") AND HOME PHONE CONNECT SERVICE ("Service")

Minimum Contract Term
Each line requires a month–to–month or two–year contract.

Activation Fees

There is a $35 Activation Fee per line.
Activation Fees may vary or be waived for business customers that have a Major Account Agreement with Verizon Wireless.

Early Termination Fees
The early termination fee is up to $175.

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

The market you're in determines taxes, surcharges and fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges. As of October 1, 2011, they can add between 6% and 40% to your standard monthly access and other charges.
Monthly Federal Universal Service (15.3% of the interstate and international telecom charges, as of October 1, 2011; varies quarterly based on FCC rate), Regulatory (16¢ per line) and Administrative (83¢ per line) charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes, and are subject to change. Beginning January 1, 2012, the Monthly Administrative Charge will increase to 99¢ per line. For more details on these charges, call 1–888–684–1888.

Important Customer Information:
For more information, refer to the Customer Agreement or speak with a Sales Representative. Service is subject to the Customer Agreement, which you should read before activating service. Credit approval required. Billing, shipping and end–user address must be within the Verizon Wireless licensed and service areas where the wireless phone number is issued.

Family SharePlans & Minimum Number of Lines:
A Family Shareplan must include a minimum of two lines at all times. In the spirit of family, they all use the number of minutes designated for the account.

National Mobile to Mobile Calling/Friends & Family
National Mobile to Mobile Calling/Friends & Family is not available: (i) to customers whose wireless exchange restricts the delivery of Caller ID; (ii) with fixed wireless devices with usage substantially from a single cell site; (iii) if Call Forwarding or No Answer/Busy Transfer features are activated; (iv) for data usage, including Push to Talk calls, Picture Messaging or Video Messaging; (v) for calls to check your Voice Mail; (vi) for calls to Verizon Wireless customers using any of the Global Services; (vii) in those areas of Louisiana and Mississippi where your phone's roaming indicator flashes; and (viii) for incoming calls if Caller ID is not present or Caller ID Block is initiated.

IMPORTANT 911 EMERGENCY RESPONSE INFORMATION:
Since the Device is designed to operate only in an indoor environment, please be prepared to provide your location inside the premises to public safety personnel during any calls to 911. The GPS chipset embedded in the Device will work best if the Device is located near a window or other opening.

While the Device does have a backup battery, if the landline phone to which the Device is connected requires external electric power to operate, Service (including the ability to make and receive 911 calls) will not be available during a power outage.

Neither Verizon Wireless nor any of its affiliates shall be liable for any service outage and/or inability to access emergency service personnel, nor shall Verizon Wireless or any of its affiliates be responsible for the acts or omissions of emergency response center personnel.

For additional technical information on how 911 functions with the Device, please see the PRODUCT SAFETY AND WARRANTY INFORMATION booklet that you received with your Device.

SERVICE USE AND LIMITATIONS:
While the Verizon Wireless coverage map at www.verizonwireless.com/coverage may provide some indication of the expected coverage at your location, you will need to assess whether the actual coverage at your location is acceptable to you for purposes of using the Home Phone Connect Service. You will need at least moderate Verizon Wireless coverage throughout your home to properly use the Service. The Home Phone Connect device is designed to provide coverage at your location that is consistent with other Verizon Wireless devices, but Verizon Wireless does not represent that Home Phone Connect service will be equivalent to landline phone services.

The Home Phone Connect Adaptor may not be compatible with certain home security systems. Please check with your home security system provider to confirm the compatibility requirements of your home security system.

If the Home Phone Connect Adaptor is connected to a cordless phone base station, any extension phones compatible with that base station can also use the Service, but the only corded telephones that can use the Service are those that are connected directly to the Home Phone Connect Adaptor.

Home Phone Connect Service is solely a wireless voice service. Data services typically available on handheld wireless phones or other wireless devices are not available through the Home Phone Connect Service. The Home Phone Connect Service is not compatible with fax machines, medical alert systems, credit card machines, DVR systems or some dial-up, high–speed or DSL Internet services. Please contact your service provider to determine if Internet service is available as a standalone offering.

The Service is not designed to function through a direct connection between the Device and a landline telephone wall jack. The Device must be connected to cordless or corded telephone hardware, as described in the Home Phone Connect User Manual. Never place a USB-based device into the USB port of the Home Phone Connect under any circumstances. Doing so may damage the device and negate its warranty. The USB port is designed for diagnostic purposes only, and is not intended for customer use.

The Service cannot be used to make 500, 700, 900, 976, 0+ collect, operator assisted, or dial around calls (e.g., 1010-XXXX).

Subject to the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions, your Calling Plan, the Verizon Wireless Privacy Principles and Internet Privacy Policy (the latter two of which can be viewed at verizonwireless.com), and the above terms and conditions, as applicable. In the event of any conflict between these terms and conditions and your Customer Agreement or Calling Plan, these terms and conditions will control solely with respect to the subject matter addressed herein.

Connecticut Customers:
If you have any questions about your bill or concerns about your service, please call Customer Care at 1–800–922–0204 or dial *611 from your wireless phone. If you are a Connecticut customer and we can not resolve your issue, you have the option of contacting the Department of Utility Control (DPUC): Online: www.state.ct.us/dpuc Phone: 866–381–2355; Mail: Connecticut DPUC, 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, CT 06051.

Last Updated: 10/01/11

This might work well for my grand parents that currently have Bright House VoIP and establish new land line service every time they go to their summer home. They could just take it with them.

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to PX Eliezer70
These devices, as I understand, sync with a cellphone to bridge the calls. Theres no advantage price-wise over just sticking with the cellphone. This device is cheaper than a cellphone. Verizon's unlimited prepaid plan is $50 plus buying the phone and activation. This device out-the-door is about $36, first bill is around $60, then afterwards $20+fees (I was told it would be around $24). I don't know of any other broadband-not-required device that is priced in this range.
--

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
With the Verizon Home Phone Connect service, customers are paying (upfront and monthly) for a wireless (cellphone) service that will work with the existing home phones, but will not work anywhere else.

With the various devices that I referred to, people pay a one-time charge for the device. Because virtually everyone has a cellphone already, they now are able to use their cellphone with their existing home phones while at home, and take the cellphone with them when away from home.

Both methods may be attractive to various customers.

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
I was told the verizon device was portable in the sense that you could install it in an RV and use it anywhere it got a signal, or even in a car if you use a 3rd party cigarette lighter adapter or something.

Personally i'm considering it... I'm thinking of cancelling the internet at my house and just use hotspots for internet and this device for calls instead of going back to a landline.
--

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to OmagicQ
My understanding of this is that the VZ Home Phone Connect is supposed to be a head on head competitor with POTS.

Flagpole

@xx.150
reply to OmagicQ
I read there are cellphone plans that let you call 1 or more numbers of your choice for free. Anybody know what that sort of plan costs?

If the cost was low enough, you could make the number you call a DID for a voip provider like voip.ms and get a dialtone to call out at voip rates.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:29
reply to OmagicQ
A friend has had Home Phone Connect for several months and really loves it. His primary home is in Ohio and he has a winter place in a small town in Florida, where the best Internet available is Clearwire. He had tried various VoIP providers, but there was too much jitter and packet loss for decent quality. The box works fine in both homes and reasonably well in his RV.

The number is treated as mobile for billing purposes, so when he calls home from his Verizon cell phone, it doesn't eat his minutes. And his wife can phone her friends on their Verizon mobiles and talk for hours, without costing them minutes.

From his point of view, the only downside is that it won't work for fax (at all), so he has to first scan the document, then upload it to a fax service.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to scooper
said by scooper:

My understanding of this is that the VZ Home Phone Connect is supposed to be a head on head competitor with POTS.

Verizon has lost millions and millions of POTS landlines. POTS is dying anyway.

I'd view this as a way for Verizon to sell people a homebound cellular service in addition to their existing cellphone.

It is also a competitor to VoIP and similar cable company phone services---hence my earlier cartoon. Many millions of people have gone to cable company phone services such as Comcast, Cox, Cablevision, etc. This lets VZ compete for the phone aspect of that business.

(In that regard, Verizon does not care about VZ FiOS, because it is clear that they intend no further expansion).

mikefxu

Titusville, FL
reply to OmagicQ
Another option would be to choose a MVNO cellular operator which offers reasonable rates for unlimited cellular service. Page Plus Cellular is now doing $39.95 month after taxes for Verizon service.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
said by mikefxu:

Another option would be to choose a MVNO cellular operator which offers reasonable rates for unlimited cellular service. Page Plus Cellular is now doing $39.95 month after taxes for Verizon service.

I use Page Plus myself through a good dealer (Kitty Wireless). It costs no more to use a dealer, and you get better customer service.

As you say, the 39.95 is for unlimited talk and text, but many people will do fine on their generous 29.95 plan. Personally, I am a light user, so I pay 80 bucks upfront for the whole YEAR on their PAYG-type plan, and I am covered.

mikefxu

Titusville, FL
said by PX Eliezer70:

I use Page Plus myself through a good dealer (Kitty Wireless). It costs no more to use a dealer, and you get better customer service.

As you say, the 39.95 is for unlimited talk and text, but many people will do fine on their generous 29.95 plan. Personally, I am a light user, so I pay 80 bucks upfront for the whole YEAR on their PAYG-type plan, and I am covered.

I use to have Page Plus and mostly used Kitty Wireless. Now have Virgin Mobile $25 plan and Motorola Triumph, a kick ass Android phone, only $120 on Cyber Monday. I don't need data but it is pretty nice. I have my mom on Page Plus.