Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

omgmir

join:2005-06-29
Mobile, AL

[Rant] I gave them the benefit of the doubt

Warning: This will be long.

I moved three months ago and Comcast is the only HSI option available in my new area. I'd never used Comcast before but i'd heard horror stories. For some reason I figured my experience would be different, they couldn't possibly be as bad as i'd heard...

- Signed up for a basic digital cable and what I was told would be 12Mb 'Performance' HSI package

- Contractor came at 10 or so on a Saturday morning, spent 10 minutes running a cable and then told me he couldn't provision my brand new Motorola modem over the phone because it was a Saturday. Gave me a Ubee modem to use till Monday and told me I wouldn't be charged for the rental. Asked him where the local office was, he didn't know.. (found out it was about a mile away).

- Went down to the office Monday, had someone take some numbers off my modem, MAC etc. Took 30 minutes of waiting (after the 30 minute wait in line) but she eventually told me it should be working. Returned the Ubee, went home hooked everything up, modem still just loop restarts as soon as it boots up.. called Comcast finally got it working.

- Realize the only time i'm getting anywhere close to the speed i'm paying for is in the AM hours. At night it drops to anywhere from 1Mb to 5Mb. Signals look great, proceed to post on these forums and ComcastSteve helps me out a bit. He tells me i'm actually getting 8Mb not the 12 they advertised.. he bumps me up to 17/2 (that's not advertised as being available in my area) in the hopes it helps. It doesn't. He re-provisions my modem. I'm still seeing huge drops anytime past 5pm.

- I get a tech visit, they come out poke around a bit, fix a loose wire somewhere, take me off a splitter in the box, and knock my upstream power level from 47 to 43. Internet seems great for 2 days, i'm seeing 20+ Mb at all times... for 2 days. Then it's right back to where it was before, underperforming my old 3Mb DSL where I was 18,600 feet from the box (impossible I know).

- Get first bill, realize i've been charged for the Ubee rental.. shrug it off.

- I spend many hours googling any fixes for my speed, post on these forums a few times, all signs just point to Comcast overselling my area and the bandwidth just getting sucked dry. I decide to just put up with it because I have no other options.. Comcast is the only thing I can get.

- Saturday (four days ago) my modem starts rebooting occasionally. Check my signals and my Upstream power level is now 57. It reboots a few times Saturday, failing to reconnect each time and I have to unplug everything let it sit for 5 min and reconnect before it will come back up. I hope it's temporary.

- Sunday constant disconnects. I can't stay online longer than 5 minutes. I buy a new modem, doesn't help. I call and schedule a tech visit for Tuesday 2-5pm.

- Tuesday I take off work 3 hours early to be home for the tech visit. I received FOUR automated calls to confirm the visit. No tech ever shows up. I receive a call from a local number I assume to be the tech, it rings once I pick up and they hang up. 15 minutes later I receive an automated "feedback call" asking me how my tech visit went..

- I call Comcast, and they seem quite clueless as to why my tech never showed up but they would be happy to re-schedule for me later in the week.. how's Friday sound? I insist there is no reason they can't get someone out to me that night, you know the night they scheduled me for.. no one seems to be able to do this.

- I ask to speak to a supervisor, this ends up being the start of a 2 hour phone journey along which I gradually get more and more pissed off. I end up talking to AT LEAST 6 different people after this before I finally get a supervisor. She and I talk and she says she's going to escalate my situation and send an e-mail to someone, she will call me back within the hour.

- I wait an hour and a half, and no call. I call back and the chain starts all over again with new reps who have no clue what i'm talking about or how to help me. I finally get another supervisor local to my area who calls up 'Dispatch' and says she will call me back as they have her on hold. An hour and a half later she calls me back, and says they are 'closed, no one we can send tonight'. She says she will call me in the morning.

- Wednesday, I get a call in the morning (from a new person entirely who has no idea what she's calling me about) and this process repeats. She doesn't know why my tech never showed but she'd be happy to re-schedule me for MONDAY. I persist and argue with her and she says she can fit me in 2-5pm today.

- 1:30 PM I receive a voicemail (missed call) from a DIGITAL TV TECH who is at my apartment says no one is home and I should call them back when I will be available at home to reschedule... not only did he show up before the time window I was told.. they didn't even send the right person. I'm close to seeing red at this point.

- Five minutes later I receive a call from the original supervisor the night before who was on hold with dispatch. She tells me someone is ON THE WAY and will be there in 10 minutes. I rush out of work again get home in 15 minutes, and wait 2 hours before the tech shows up.

- He turns out to be really cool knowledgable guy, tells me I was on a 4-splitter in the box.. the only splitter in the box... and that's why my upstream signal was so high and I was disconnecting. He says he took me off the splitter and hooked me up directly. Check my upstream and it's now down to 42.

- He tells me since my signals are good they really can't do anything about my horrid speed problems unless Comcast decides to split the nodes and I can't do anything to make them do it. I figure i'm back where I was last week.. the speed sucks ass but at least i'm not disconnecting.

- 15 minutes after he leaves I check the signals again just to be sure. My Downstream power level (previously -1 to +1) is now 10.. I shrug it off.

- 20 minutes later I lose connection. I immediately pull up my modem before it reboots and my Dowstream shows -23 and my SNR is 8. My Upstream is still solid at the 42 it was when the tech left..

- This brings us up to right now. I'm completely fed up, I don't even want to ATTEMPT to get another guy out here to 'fix' it again. I spent the better part of my night last night on the phone with people who didn't seem to even speak my language let alone have a clue how to help me. It took transfer after transfer and hold times on top of hold times to finally get someone who could send another tech out without another 3-4 day wait time... and they once again didn't fix the problem.

I understand now why i've never heard anything but complaints about Comcast. It pisses me off to no end that I have no other options where I live and it's even worse they seem to KNOW that and just don't care. Even if they did manage to fix the disconnect issue.. i'm still nightly receiving as low as 5% of the speed i'm paying for... I know cable will flucatuate and they 'only guarantee you UP' to that speed.. but that's just absolutely ridiculous and now this on top of it?

I don't even know where to go from here it's just beyond belief that I pay for this 'service'.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

You can forget all the "oversold" silliness and your premise tech was an idiot as was your install tech (probably a contractor). Sounds to me like you have bad coax/drop/connector/tap...something along those lines. Contact ComcastSteve again and tell him you are still having issues. Ask him to send a senior tech/supervisor and follow up with him until your problem is resolved. You don't need to put up with substandard service.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to omgmir

I really can't help you with your problem, but I wanted to comment on your comment about "I understand now why i've never heard anything but complaints about Comcast".

Those who don't have any problems, rarely praise the service. Ask any CSR, they'll tell you that they have never received a phone call from a customer calling in to praise the service and to let them know what a great job they are doing.

It is only when problems arise do people speak up. Many of us are extremely satisfied with our services, despite the few hiccups here and there.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to nerdburg

said by nerdburg:

You can forget all the "oversold" silliness

I can't say that I agree 100% with such an overall blanket statement. It's not like it is impossible for there to be capacity/congestion issues even though CC seems to be fairly prudent with capacity planning.

omgmir

Mobile, AL

said by EG:

said by nerdburg:

I can't say that I agree 100% with such an overall blanket statement. It not like it is impossible for there to be capacity/congestion issues even though CC seems to be fairly prudent with capacity planning.

Why do I keep being told then that 'your signals are good so we really can't do anything about your speed drops'?

I'm not saying you're wrong.. I really just want to know.

Edit: Even ComcastSteve said this.. and I quote "I am not sure what the tech can do since the signals are perfect."

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to EG

said by EG:

said by nerdburg:

I can't say that I agree 100% with such an overall blanket statement. It's not like it is impossible for there to be capacity/congestion issues even though CC seems to be fairly prudent with capacity planning.

Sure, I can agree with you there. You do need to split nodes now and then.

I don't think it's OP's problem tho since he has fluctuating signal issues and is losing connection altogether on occasion. Generally if a node is having capacity issues, you would see modest congestion problems and those problems tend to be very sporadic. In my experience, the time of day thing is a red herring and premise techs tell customers all kind of stupid crap.

OP needs an experienced tech out there to spend some time and diagnose his problem. Personally, I'd re-check all the wiring, maybe swap the modem and monitor the MER/BER with a QAM analyzer for awhile.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to omgmir

Why do I keep being told then that 'your signals are good so we really can't do anything about your speed drops'?

Keep in mind I'm only giving you a best guess, there are about a 100 possibilities. Anyhow, the only way to really analyze a tricky signal issue is to have an expert tech with RF signal level meter monitor the line for awhile. Power levels (dBmV) and noise levels are important aspects, but there are other variables that a modem can't see or report and modems are notoriously inaccurate anyhow.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to nerdburg

Fair enough, thank you for your reply.

omgmir

Mobile, AL
reply to omgmir

Well I bumped my old post in the Comcast Direct forums but no response from ComcastSteve.. so i'm back to just 'dealing with it'.

I have zero faith that any more calls to Comcast will yield results.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to omgmir

said by omgmir:

said by EG:

said by nerdburg:

I can't say that I agree 100% with such an overall blanket statement. It not like it is impossible for there to be capacity/congestion issues even though CC seems to be fairly prudent with capacity planning.

I'm not saying you're wrong.. I really just want to know.

Edit: Even ComcastSteve said this.. and I quote "I am not sure what the tech can do since the signals are perfect."

The tech can only do what he can do for that particular account in that particular scope of his job. He can only work on the connection from the pole going to the house and inside the house. That's what he means by your signals are good, the signals from the drop off the pole to the house and in the house itself. If there are issues with the signal outside of that scope that's a different division of the line maintenance. It is kind of like in a corporate I.T. department there are people who run the ethernet cables through the building, different people who connect the computers to the network, and different people yet still who fix the actual computers themselves. It's stupid but that's one structuring method used.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to omgmir

It doesn't seem right that you should have to continually follow up with them to correct your issues. They should follow up with you until its corrected. Your the paying customer and their goal should be your satisfaction of promised service. I have been very fortunate with my service over the years with internet, voice, and TV as it has been rock solid and I have always had good experiences with techs and CSR's over the phone. I wish you luck in getting it corrected because when it works it kicks a..!
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon