how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsawyer24

@comcast.net

Moving Service from MA to NH, Giving me a new wireless Modem

hi,

i currently have comcast in MA and just set up a move to NH for next week. I switched to a triple play package and the rep said i needed a new router other than the SB6120 now and she said it was brand new and wireless was built into it and there is no extra charge. after doing research im wondering if this is the Ubee DDW3611 that is DOCSIS 3.0 with built in wifi? also right now i currently have a motorola RNG200N for a main box and she said they would bring another box just in case. is there anything better than the RNG200N or should i keep this box. thanks for the help guys.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

Your SB6120 is not a router, it's just a modem, and if you own it you can continue to use it for internet.

If you're getting digital voice, they will supply you with an EMTA for voice service.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

jsawyer24

@comcast.net

if they said that i was getting a new modem with built in wireless what model would that be? does anyone know? thanks

jsawyer24

@comcast.net
reply to jack b

would it be the Motorola SBG6580 with built in wireless??

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

said by jsawyer24 :

would it be the Motorola SBG6580 with built in wireless??

Yep.

ComTech 4
Premium
join:2002-11-28
USA
reply to jsawyer24

It would be a "Dory". SMCD3GNV or arris TG852G/CT
»media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···2210.pdf

As for your cable box. It most likely wont work . It is most likely a diffrent headend and and diffrent prn.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to jsawyer24

Any rented equipment must be returned to your local comcast center. Equipment can not be returned to out of state comcast offices. This holds true for both modems and digital boxes or adapters.

jsawyer24

@comcast.net

they told me to bring my boxes with me when i move so i am bringing them to NH with me, i have an install date set for next thursday in NH already.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to jsawyer24

They might be using Scientific Atlanta/Cisco boxes in the market that you are moving to. Cable modems all use the DOCSIS spec (most but not all Comcast markets are D3) but Cisco and Motorola systems are incompatible with each other so a Motorola box will not work with a Cisco system and vice versa as each uses a different conditional access algorithm. Also you should return the equipment in the same area where it was installed as Comcast uses different billing systems for different markets so the office in NH may not have access to your Mass account. And make sure you get a receipt when you return the equipment because you could still be billed for unreturned equipment despite being returned (it happened to me with another cable provider when I moved from Iowa to Massachuetts).
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

Sterling
IP Support Tier III
Premium
join:2003-05-30
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to jsawyer24

The dvr that is better then the RNG200N will be the RNG200NR, but they are in limited availability, but if your lucky to get one you should have twice storage, that being 500gb