share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

What does a cableco's CO look like?

So some of you have posted what Telco COs look like, and you talk about the hardware used, but what about cable companies, and what do they call a cable companies "CO"?

Also, those green lighted boxes on telephone polls every so many miles, are those where the copper connects to optical fiber? And what mode(s) are used, or rather, is it multimode and what wavelengths? What are those boxes called?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Lazarus
Slavin Away
Premium
join:2002-06-18
Dickinson, ND

We call ours the headend. As for pictures I will see if the guys will let me take a few.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

I should rephrase the CU "connects" to fiber, I meant "changes". I AM a laserjocky, after all... Brewster's angle anyone?

jmich
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ
reply to signmeuptoo

The green boxes are power supplies/UPS's that power the nodes. The fiber is always single mode running at 1310 or 1550 nm.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

Do a google image search for cable headend. You'll see some good ones and bad ones. I'll see if I can find and upload some pictures of headends I've helped build in the past.

cablegeek01

USA

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are a few pictures that I have from some smaller headends.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Cool stuff!

bbuchanan
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Peterborough, ON
reply to cablegeek01

cablegeek01 - nice looking Meta 2510 ....
--
Nexicom - »www.nexicom.net

cablegeek01

USA

Good eye! And a Cisco ONS15454 is hiding there as well. Cable companies have branched out to voice and fiber service offerings, and as such the telco/cable world is starting to blend.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to signmeuptoo

Not sure if this counts, but I found it interesting none the less

»www.hhshootingsports.com/Communi···o./page2

bbuchanan
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Peterborough, ON
reply to cablegeek01

I missed the ONS hiding under the Meta!

We've got a couple of the 2510's bigger brother, the 3510.

The worlds really are blending - really not much difference anymore between voice, data, cable - just the delivery method's. I find everything much easier once it has been converted over to IP.
--
Nexicom - »www.nexicom.net

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to cablegeek01

Is that a box to a Citizen CSX-190 dot matrix printer in the first rack? Why?

cablegeek01

USA

said by cypherstream:

Is that a box to a Citizen CSX-190 dot matrix printer in the first rack? Why?

Its for the EAS records. Every one of the weekly tests are documented for FCC review. Hard to believe there are still dot matrix printers in use daily!

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Nah. Telco's use them all the time. Feed a string of ASCII to it and it prints it. No need for all this PCL/PS crap.

(I know of many that are directly attached to phone switches. In fact, I have a 132col C.Itoh in the box, sitting in the hall for 5 years. I have a brother I still use for printing forms. DMP is still king for multi-part forms!)

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to cablegeek01

Interesting. Yeah we used dot matrix printers for years because of the strike and the ability to print on carbonless paper. Then you get the white copy, yellow copy and pink copy.

I'm sure to this day they are still used for those situations. You just can't get that out of a laser or inkjet!

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to signmeuptoo

I like the Cordex rectifiers... Use lots of them and the CXCi controller is great.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to signmeuptoo

Glad to see that even the large headends get stuck with some of the junkiest sat receivers as well, and not just us small fries, lmao.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
reply to cablegeek01

Its dissappointing to see messy cabling. Neat cabling is not hard to achieve, even in a rush.

My record is labelling, running, dressing, connecting/patching, and verifying light levels on 4 patch leads in 15 minutes. I was running late to catch a plane, and did infact miss it and was stuck in Brussels for a few hours waiting for the next flight out. :-P

It actually turned out to be some of the nicest cabling Ive ever done, amazingly.

ar2

@suddenlink.net

Looks like a mototrola market judgeing by the sems

Gongster
Gongster Enterprises
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Markham, ON

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo

This is Rogers:

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Holy crap!

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to Gongster

said by Gongster:

This is Rogers:

»www.tineye.com/search/7ee75de591···dc5e1f1/

Not unless you've got some proof that it's Rogers, it isn't...

I've worked in several broadcast and cable sites - Roger's actually (and I hate to admit this) on the better side of most...